Join Strat-Talk Today

Any particular love for Rickenbackers?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by DeMelo, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Heck ya! Oh no. Maybe I need just one more guitar...

Mansonienne likes this.
  2. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I've always loved the look of the 360's preferably in fireglo.

Great unique guitars.

Numbercruncher likes this.
  3. johnsmith101

johnsmith101 New Member!

They're an expensive niche instrument with a characteristic look and interesting tone, plagued by historical and current quality control issues, and they're also quite challenging for even a good tech to maintain. There have also been numerous horror stories of brand new Rick's rocking up to the customer in unserviceable condition and that's not ok for a very expensive bass.

Other criticisms of Rickenbacker are subjective. One major one is that they're too expensive for what you get. The neck is also a very specific feel that some people don't like, and the tone is not for everyone

4. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

The bad part is the owner John Hall is not customer friendly. He does not believe in customer service. He will blame every problem on the customer. It says in their warranty that if you put non Rickenbacker strings on you void the warranty. They have a 2 year warranty but it starts when its shipped to the store. If it sets in the store for a year you just lost 1/2 of your warranty. He used to be active on the Rick forum. A customer had a finish problem. Hall said he had house hold cleaning products under his sink and that caused it even when they had the cap on them. LOL

Dave Harmon and davidKOS like this.
  5. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

About thirty years ago I played what must have been a 381 in Fireglo, the one with the carved body and checkerboard binding. Nicest guitar I ever saw. But it was (I think) $1200, way over my head at the time. Periodically I look them up online and they go for around $4K now. Yikes.

Even though I jones hard for that guitar from time to time, I've played enough Ricks since then to know that they can be a headache to maintain... And I can't deal with the glop they slather on the boards now. Beautiful guitars, though.

6. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

The lacquered fretboard ain’t much different from any other glossy one, like an all Maple neck Fender.

7. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

Yeap. CS isn’t exactly great. But...

RIC is one of the very few guitar companies that still makes all the guitars in California, uses top notch tuners (Schallers on mine), uses great wood (no mystery wood), binding is MUCH superiores done than in most modern Gibsons...

They don’t have a “budget line” like Squier or Epi, mor do they sell “Custom Shop” stuff for 5x the price of a standard.

The guitars vary in bling, but they’re like all Standard made in USA.

The style doesn’t suit everyone, you either love them or don’t care for them.

8. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

Love hate for me.

I've had a Rick 330 since 1995 when my dad bought me one as an 8th grader. When he passed away that guitar became a lifelong possession. I've scraped some of the lacquer of the board but that really wasn't the issue with the sticky feel. It's more to do with the non peaked headstock and low break angle of the bridge that makes for an awkward playing guitar if you are used to Gibson or Fenders. I stuck a bigsby on it and that sorta helped.

Last winter I started a new band and we had a need for a 12 string. I've always wanted a Rick 12 so I picked up a 360/12c63. It's a lot of guitar for what it does but it's magnificent to look at. I've owned Custom Shop Gibsons, vintage and modern Gretsches but nothing really makes you stop and say "damn" like opening the case of a Rick 12, rick.jpg

9. Dickey69

Dickey69 Strat-Talk Member

Ya know; I really wanna like Rics, like that George Harrison model with binding & fireglo, but I just can't get over the fact that they are basically considered RHYTHM guitars & not suitable for lead. They ARE beautiful, however.

10. tukoztukoz

tukoztukoz Strat-Talker

2CAE8ABD-D791-422E-B30F-74DA4BCF8524.jpeg I’ ve got those three ricks.
    I first wanted the same as yours, but not available at the time, so I got the 12 strings version.
    The red one, LH, is a 1981 model. I got it for ...500$ with original case !!!

Neil.C and Mansonienne like this.
  11. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

I bet that you could pick up a Rick, set ‘er up to suit you, plug in, let ‘er rip on some soloing and you’d sound just fine.

Mansonienne likes this.
  12. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

'ts what I do.

I play most anything on it without any problems. It sounds pretty cool, pretty similar to a Les Paul with P-90s but with that characteristic jangle, like an aftertaste.

13. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talk Member

I went through a period about ten years ago when I was really infatuated with Ricks, and I had I think five of them at one time, but eventually I got rid of all of them except one. I still have my first Rick, which is a Jetglo 360/6 (the Peter Buck guitar). In some ways I like it a lot, but there's something odd about how it feels that I can't put my finger on. It's got very small low frets, but I love the little vintage frets on Fenders, so I don't know that that's it.

Contrary to some conventional wisdom, I found the 360 to be a very versatile guitar. When I got it I was playing in a cover band, and when I was deciding which guitar to use for gigs, I realized that the 360 would get pretty close to just about all the different sounds I needed, even if it couldn't absolutely nail most of them. I think the one-dimensional Rick perception comes in part from people getting them and using them for music which was traditionally played on Ricks, which of course they do well. But I was amazed at how great the Rick sounded when cranked up through my friend's Marshall half-stack.

One issue with Ricks is the narrow necks on most of their models. It's not that big a deal on the 6 strings---the neck is not wide, but it's not unusually narrow. But on their 12-string models, they use the same neck dimensions, so you're cramming six more strings into the same width, which was just barely comfortable with six strings. Obviously, people have been making that work for over fifty years, but I suspect that a lot of those people have smaller fingers. On the other hand, people play mandolins, so who knows.

Relatively recently, they've added some models with wider necks, including the 650 and 660 series. Those have necks that are 1 3/4" wide, which is much better for a 12-string, although a 660/12 is one of their more expensive models, for some reason. Besides the neck width, it differs from the 620 (which it resembles a lot) in having checkerboard binding, a gold pickguard and nameplate, a trapeze tailpiece instead of the awkward "R" tailpiece, and vintage-style "toaster" pickups instead of "Hi-Gain" pickups. Note that Rickenbacker Hi-Gain pickups are high gain only in comparison to toasters, and much less hot that just about anything you'd find on, say, a Fender or Gibson.

Although I got rid of most of my Ricks years ago, there was one that I always sort of regretted, and this year, I got another one: a 650D Dakota. It's a solidbody shaped like the 620, but without binding. It's oil-finished walnut wings on a maple thru neck, and it has Rick humbuckers. It also has the 1 3/4" neck width. It has a little more oomph than the 360, but still has that Rickenbacker thing going on tonally and aesthetically. Although nowadays Strats are definitely my main guitars, it's fun alternative to my Fenders.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Neil.C and circles like this.
  14. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

About the High Gains, they do seem to have more output than the average Fender single coil, without the excessive oomph of a humbucker. I like them a lot for hard rock.

Anyway, about soloing on Ricks... Watch this and have some fun, hehehe

Vermoulian, dueducs and tukoztukoz like this.
  15. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-O-Master

They are really nice guitars and I really like them, I just never could feel as comfortable playing one as I feel when I strap my fender on. But that is probably because of always playing a Strat.

circles likes this.
  16. mjea80

mjea80 Strat-Talker

Nice guitar! I like your strap too. :thumb:

DeMelo likes this.
  17. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

Absolutely in love with 620 but I need the money to buy one.

18. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I love handmade embroided straps.

mjea80 likes this.
  19. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

20. Stratafied

Stratafied Strat-Talker

Played a part in quite a few great songs through the years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.