Any recovering alcoholics here?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bangbang, Sep 2, 2008.

1. 56Chevy

56Chevy New Member!

After seeing the way it made my Father act... and killing him at the age of 58. I never started.

Great that you have gotten things under control... my Father never did. I think he would have liked knowing his Grandchildren and his new Great Grandson.

Guys, keep up the good work!

2. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

It took me till I was 55 to see the light.I am 57 now. Sorry about your Dad. My father was an alcoholic too.....this actually kept me from continuing my guitar lessons when I was 11.....not to mention other things. My Dad quit years before his death so we were able to bond and make friends before he died. He actually paid for all my guitar equipment. Lessons,3 guitars,6 amplifiers ..wait ...thats 8. Gave three to my grand daughter,and lent one out to my friends. Oh yeh....all the mods too. I am still shopping.

3. too-many-strats

too-many-strats Strat-Talker

WHOA!!!!!!! Thought I was alone here. Celebrated 20 years back last August the 8th. This time of year is particulary hard with all the "whoppee parties" for all the amatuers to try to join the ranks of us "pros". Hope the new year is good for all you ex-drunks (myself included). If you ever make it to Memphis, give me a shout. Know the coolest coffee shop & best meetings here.

4. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

Im celebrating 5 on March 25.. Got clean and sober at age 23 after a few trips to the big house i had enough.. Lot of Sober muscians. Very cool any in Fort Lauderdale area..

I am not alone..

5. too-many-strats

too-many-strats Strat-Talker

Funny thing....when I went back to check the posting there was an add for Wodka Polska vodka. Go figure/it is appropriate.

6. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

Good company here :D I quit drinking nine years ago just before Thanksgiving.
    It took me three tries at it but after going to detox twice before with the Dt's the third time stuck and I sure wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't gotten sober. Life is so much better when you are not depend on alcohol to function and my guitar playing progressed as a result of it as well.

Being New Years Eve it's always a day when I reflect on those past days when I would getting warmed up by now for the evening. I don't do anything on New Years Eve anymore as there is always Drinking involved. For me it's a good evening to just stay home and count my blessings.

Cheers Everyone :D

And Happy New Year !!!

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Strat-Talk Member

when i finally got smart enough to notice how much hangovers hurt, i made serious changes. i still have a drink on occaision, but very few occaisions.

and this is yet another sober new years for me. thank God!

8. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Im one of the lucky few than can pickup up a beer when I want one, but I don't have to have it. I usually go about two weeks between drinks.

9. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

God Bless ... If i could do that i would have never quit...

10. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I still have a couple occaisional beers now and then but I've been off of drugs for twoo years now. I was completely sober for a year and I take it easy now. Its good to be able think clear. You don't realize how much you missed it until you get it back.

11. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

A friendly reminder,
    Tradition 11

12. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

I wqill take ya up on thatr if I ever get the chance to go. I am heading for Texas sometime soon to see my son.

13. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Not recovering, fully recovered for 7 years. Now I can drink like a normal person whenever I want, and without needing more. A nice healthy guitar addiction definitely helps, and believe it or not, can be less expensive!

14. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

Well, I'd say you are one in a Million that can pull that off.