Join Strat-Talk Today

Any Robert Cray strat fans?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SteveB334, Jun 3, 2006.

1. SteveB334

SteveB334 New Member!

Wow what a beautiful neck!! And those stock pickups are pretty good too.
    Anyone else enjoy this guitar?
    I bought this one for $350:

[​IMG]

2. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen Strat-Talk Member

I remember seeing one of those in the Fender shop here back in the mid/late '90s.
    Where was it made?
    Looks great. Are there special pickups in it?
    The pickguard doesn't look white in the pic...what color is it?

$350 sounds like a GREAT deal!

I bought my American Standard used for $550 and it's not even a signature series.

3. SteveB334

SteveB334 New Member!

this is the mexican version of the custom shop model. It has med. jumbo frets, alder body and a nice fat neck that gets bigger the more you go towards the 12th fret.
    As for the pickguard, its the stock mint green.

4. Daddyo

Daddyo New Member!

New member, hello.

I've had a violet Cray for 3 years now. Great guitar. light alder body. Fat 61c profile neck. Abslutely great CS pups (some say the best you can get this side of a CS strat). Hardtail bridge. The tuners are merely OK (Ping). This guitar has unreal quack in the 2/4 positions and great sound in the others. I moved the tone from the middle pup the the bridge pup and now not only do I have control over the treble of the bridge, but the middle pup sounds fat like a tele.

5. Chuck Backus

Chuck Backus Strat-Talk Member

If I wasn't a fan before, I sure am now. That's a sharp looking Strat.

6. sinnerboy61

sinnerboy61 Strat-Talk Member

Let me get this straight...you're claiming that since you modded the tone control of the middle pickup, the tone of the pickup has changed? :?

7. Daddyo

Daddyo New Member!

Yes. Even with the knob turned wide open, a capacitor in the signal path still attenuates some frequency. Even a volume control with no capacitor attenuates frequencies. That is the idea behine the non-load pots.

8. sinnerboy61

sinnerboy61 Strat-Talk Member

Well, I have a noload pot on my MIA Strat and I honestly can't tell the difference, sonically. Interesting.

9. weelie

weelie Strat-Talk Member

I am a fan of that model. Out of all MIM Strats I've tried, only that and the Jimmie Vaughan model really do it for me. I think the MIM Cary sounds more "strat" than about any strat I've ever played. But still I stubbornly think you need to have a floating trem bridge for a true strat tone. I guess I am schizophrenic. :D

Yet to see one for sale used here, and am waiting for that day. :)

10. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

When I do get a new strat the Cray, JV, or the new EJ are the ones that are most interesting. Don't use the trem much, but feel it has something to do with the strat "mojo".

11. Stratosaurus

Stratosaurus Strat-Talker

Hardtail Strats sound like wimpified telecasters to me. IMO a Strat must have a trem, blocked or not, to sound like a Strat. Otherwise you might as well be playing a Tele.

For me it would be the Cray or the John Mayer signatures if I were in the market for a new Strat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.