Any speaker re-coners on here?

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Intune, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I’m going to attempt a recone on my JBL D130’s. 15” from a late 60’s fender showman. Both speakers were seized. I got them moving in and out but there are dead. Voice coil rub on both. My friend bought the head and the cabinet was pretty much thrown in the deal because the speakers were dead. It will be my first attempt but looks pretty straight forward. Waiting on parts.
    10133C58-DD3A-46EB-9FD4-4FD8356A627A.jpeg ED6FBAD6-56AB-4D14-B8C9-FD67D2558319.jpeg 87A95A0C-D9EC-4868-94DE-B48D9BFA9E7A.png F5DD86C7-2C3F-47FE-AB15-13AAA6F34373.jpeg

2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Good for you on trying! :) Nice images.

Does not look all that difficult, really. Just a matter of the proper parts.

I'll be watching this thread. I wish you well.

thomquietwolf likes this.
  3. Intune

It will probably be weeks before I see the parts. I figured they’re junk as is so why not try.

StratoMutt likes this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Watching with interest as I have a pair of JBL C36 stereo speakers. They use D130 drivers with an 075 tweeter.

[​IMG]

Both cones have tears (repaired), but will eventually need recones. I've read that the voice coil gap is tight on these. Best of luck and post your progress!

Intune likes this.
  5. Falstaff50

Falstaff50 Strat-Talker

I've done some foam surround replacements on a few pairs of speakers but never a re-cone. You should head over to Audiokarma speaker forums. They have some real speaker gurus who can. probably walk you through the process.

6. Intune

Hey thanks maybe I’ll check that site out. Maybe 15 minutes to tear it apart so far. I have to get the rest of the old bits off and clean everything. I have weeks to do this as parts won’t be here until then.

7. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

It’s funny because you’d think that a guy like me with a sound company would just automatically learn to do that since I’ve got literally thousands of speakers (counting all components). But like soldering, there’s a finesse to it and it’s very time consuming and you really can’t make a mistake without paying the price . It’s just not worth it for the common man. There’s services that can do it that have done it a million times and you’ll probably get a good job. If you’d like to learn, learning on something you really don’t care about is great, and I hope you have a great time learning the reconing ropes. I never thought it was worth my time.

Now then, I can tell you two things about reconing and re-diaphragming JBL products: their gap tolerance is very very small. The voice coils need to be spot on or you will get rub. So everything has to be perfect, centering and everything else. I’ve seen brand new diaphragms not fit a JBL driver they were so critical and the new diaphragm wasn’t perfect enough. I would guess they build them that way to get every last db of efficiency out of it. The proper method to seat a new diaphragm was to gently screw down the diaphragm until it was barely tight, and start sweeping pure tones through it to make sure it sounds pure at every frequency. Then you continue tightening. All of a sudden you may hear a little grittiness and the reconer has to use a small rubber mallet to knock it into perfect position. I watched a real expert guy in my early years and got a real respect for how perfect it has to be. But JBLs were the most finicky drivers of all due to their tight tolerances. Now that driver may work regardless but at a certain frequency it might sound harsh and it’s because it’s ever so slightly rubbing at an extremely low measurement. Once your ear gets to know that sound then you know what’s up.

Their woofers aren’t quite as critical, but still those shims and gluing has to be great. Those lead wires are always a total b*tch to solder. Now then there’s the parts integrity. Most unsuspecting customers get aftermarket parts which are GARBAGE. I can tell you from experience that almost all aftermarket parts for speakers are NOT like the original and will not last. I have reconed tons of speakers and JBL’s I’m guessing see the highest amount of crap rebuild kits. Oh they might work - to a point. But press them into professional service and they will fail.

Now JBL enthusiasts will want to shoot me, but they have built some real stinkers. Long long story but there’s a ton of manufacturers in Italy that make some unbelievable quality speakers. Faital Pro, B&C, Beyma, 18 Sound, etc make some great speakers. English Fane very very good too. I never buy JBL stuff because I can prove that a lot of their stuff sounds like crap compared to better brands. When you hear a TAD driver next to a JBL for example, you would never use nor buy a JBL HF driver ever again if you have ears.

Ending rant paragraph- I bought 8 single 18 JBL subs some years back. I used them at a gig and they sounded so bad I ended up wasting 30 min at a gig trying to find out what was wrong with my P.A. :eek:. That bad, because my ears were accustomed to great subs. I ended up selling them back to the store because I hated them so much.

OP, I wish you well on your project, sounds like you want to learn for poops and giggles so good luck sir.

8. Intune

Thanks for the advice and being a journeyman automotive tech for nearly 20 years and countless engine rebuilds, transmissions, cylinder heads all with real tight clearances I’m willing to tackle a speaker. The kit I bought was not cheap and comes with proper shims to keep the voice coil in place. I’ve also measured with my feeler blade around the entire voice coil gap and it’s the exact same drag all the way around. So I’m not worried about it being off centred. That happens when the speaker gets dropped.

Either way calling around to have these sent out was $375CAD each. $300CAD for both kits and the proper glue.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Any update @Intune, or are you still waiting for the parts to arrive?

10. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I have never done a recone myself, but I have seen it done.
    I bought a pair of reconed Pa speakers from a guy who does a lot of recones.
    I actually watched him do the job on the ones I bought from him.

He took his time, was very meticulous and tidy about the whole thing.

1 speaker was perfect. The other had a very slight voice coil rub that was barely noticable at low to moderate volume.

I didn't pay very much for the pair, so I didn't make a fuss over it. But my point of sharing this story is..... even while being meticulous and careful, it's still a bit of a crapshoot.

Unless the speakers are particularly desirable or rare..... I probably wouldn't bother with it.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  11. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I forgot to mention the gap issues. OP realizes of course that the magnet needs to be perfect as stock no shift has occurred, although I’ve never seen a partial shift, it’s usually a hard stick to one side if the glue ever breaks from the speaker being dropped hard. But that gap needs to be percent as far as cleanliness. And that’s the tough part because it’s one thing to blow out dust but it’s super hard to clean out metallic stuck debris that’s being held in there by super strong magnetic force. If anything at all is left in that gap, especially JBL gaps (being so tight), that it will soon score the new voice coil and lead to an early demise for the new part. I would use an index card with the sticky side of a post it note bent over each side and try and jam down into that gap for the tightest swipe I could get. Have to do a hard visual check with a high power lens and flashlight before that new part goes down inside.

One of the great thing about FaitalPro speakers is that the way they design their speakers is so that it mechanically cannot shift. I’ve bought hundreds of their speakers - extremely high quality stuff.

12. Intune

No updates yet, still waiting on parts. Yes a magnet shift I guess is pretty rare from that 1000 videos I’ve watched. Really only happens if that speaker was dropped hard. I also watched the doubled up tape in a business card trick to get all the junk out.

Triple Jim likes this.
  13. Intune

Also these speakers reconed on eBay guys asking $900-$1000CAD.

14. Intune

Ok so parts came in today. I have one almost complete. Started on the second one. Pretty straight forward really. The biggest thing was to clean out the junk from the old voice coil shavings. One tests at 6.7ohms so that’s definitely better then zero! This one is almost done. 878D8D3B-C17D-427F-9A89-3118630B04A2.jpeg 0C1B1B99-8E70-42F0-987F-9F29AB277F8F.jpeg BDCED017-9656-49D3-B3C2-AED896E7B34F.jpeg 7E1696FF-7D0D-47D2-AF92-FF167725A394.jpeg 5300A821-7E33-43B9-8A74-28A4C0B25F60.jpeg C795198F-6519-4FC9-9D66-6E9A0D93D670.jpeg 88BBAF48-CEE6-4005-94ED-38FB255DAFF2.jpeg 534660B4-CF09-4B5A-B1BB-DDCAD08F1EE6.jpeg

15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Have you finished them yet?

16. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Awesome.
    Looking forward to hearing how they sound!

17. Intune

Oh hey yes these are done!! Well for a few weeks now. Checked manually 1000 times for any voice coil rub every which way I could from google and YouTube. Nothing, just smooth and no noises or popping manually pushing all around the speaker cone. Time to install!

Put them in the original cabinet and just sounds great. Well one did, oh no! One wasn’t working. Removed the back panel and the one just came disconnected from the stupid little push connections.

It’s been a few weeks now and I’d says 8 hours of running and still sound great.

Since my buddy bought the 65 showman and got the matching cabinet thrown in for free, he figured the speakers are junk. He was looking for replacements and I sort of mentioned reconing these ones. He said no to much money and not worth it.

I figured I’d buy the parts and give it a try. Well they work and guess what he wants them, lol. That’s why I’d did these just because you might as well keep everything original in the cool amp. He paid me $350 but it cost me $360 or so without any labour, oh well. It was a learning experience. He did get me some beers though. D88191AD-2F93-4906-B124-41D7CB282D39.jpeg 56423140-2199-49E2-8ADD-61B6137AB8EC.jpeg

StratoMutt and Deafsoundguy like this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Very very cool.

Ya... He owes you beers for the next year or two.

19. Intune

That’s what I told him!! I did it more for the learning experience but still he really appreciated it and that’s what his budget was. Sure you can get used modern speakers for that but if the vintage speakers are there, fix them!

There’s a set of 62 12” Oxford speakers that popped up locally for $150CAD. Blown and need a recone. I’m grabbing them tomorrow. They came out of a bandmaster

StratoMutt and CB91710 like this.
  20. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Nicely done! Clap1L.gif