Any Thoughts On a Good Crowning File, Aside From A Three Sided File?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by tmonkjr, Sep 12, 2020.

1. tmonkjr

tmonkjr Strat-Talk Member

Ive finally been able to open that file, the one you list as "this one", I opened the page, and it was hard to see what the actual grooves were like on the file, are they just straight forward files, or are they cut in any specific manner? for, I think the idea of have one file to get the majority of the work done, and one to kind of finish it off with a Diamond grit, sounds like the right way to go. So, that other file, is it cut in any way, like is it rounded in the inside, or angled in any way?

2. tmonkjr

Well, I read the page through, and it does describe in more detail than I had noticed, that makes sensate me, although I'll have to end up getting a Diamond file regardless. Why waste the Diamond grit on all that other work, makes sense.

3. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

Crowning frets may be repetitive, but it shouldn’t be laborious. The file should do almost all of the work. You should be gently guiding the file, hardly applying pressure. None of these files should require much physical effort. The Gurian is not a “three sided” file. It comes with three separate files for three different sized frets (small, medium, and large) that interchangeably mount in the ergonomic handle. As for shipping, I’m a “Stewmax” member. $39.99/year for free shipping and discounts on books and various items. It’s very convenient if you regularly order luthier/guitar supplies. I no longer wait until I want several items before I order. If I want a 23 cent screw, I just order it.

Bill, tgo

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    amstratnut likes this.
  4. tmonkjr

I agree, I know the Gurian has separate files, I have some serious cervical problems, which limit, in a big way, use of pressure, I dont think its the amount of pressure, but the time in which I continue with it, after using it for a few hours, the next day, I felt it in my neck. Im thinking I might need two files, one to get the bulk of the work done, and possibly a Diamond grit file to finish it off. Ado you like the Gurian File, the feel of it? and the work it does, Ive heard very little feedback on it.

5. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

After using it for a few hours”

How many necks are you crowning the frets on? It really shouldn’t take “hours” to do a full level, crown, and polish. I would estimate you should be able to do so in less than two hours and, with a little experience, in an hour. Of course this assumes you have the right tools (like a crowning file!). For instance, with a good sanding beam (I use the FretGuru sanding beam), you can level your frets in a matter of minutes. Crowning will take longer, but not an incredible amount of time. Polishing takes me the longest and is by far the most labor intensive. I like to use abrasive fret polishing erasers and go over the frets several times, each with a higher number grit, ending with 8000.

Perhaps the most important (and most neglected) tool is a Sharpie! To start, run the Sharpie over the frets. Then, when you level, you will see the Sharpie disappear, first at the high spots. When all the Sharpie has been removed from all the frets, they are level. I then apply Sharpie to the tops of the leveled frets. I gently file with the Gurian, (which fits very comfortably into to palm of my hand), going in one direction, forward, only, until the Sharpie has become just a very narrow line running along the top of the fret. Then, gently, with hardly any pressure, pull the file back over the fret 1-2 times. At this point the fret is crowned and ready for polishing.

Bill, tgo

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    jpmist likes this.
  6. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You might be able to see the cut of the file in this pic:

crowning files.jpg

7. Oldboy

Oldboy Strat-O-Master

8. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master

I tried one of the 'cheap' sets off amazon and returned them - - stamped garbage that shouldn't even have passed a visual inspection.

Ended up with the "Fretguru" file (the original flat one, not the newer round ones). It's a little aggressive so you want to use gently, but it worked well as a rough shaper even for my first attempt. Followed up with sandpaper and finished with steel wool (flanked by wrapped magnets to collect the fallout).

Make sure you file-card or wire-brush the file frequently; trapped particles of fret material makes for scratches.

Final result was excellent, according to more experienced players who have see the finished product.

Tedious, but not hard.

9. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I've been using some of Chris Alsops tools and have been very happy with them. It's a small luthier company in the UK that sells on Ebay. He has two different diamond crowning files. One has interchangeable heads and each comes in three sizes. I have the interchangeable one with the medium head and have used it with medium jumbo and extra jumbo frets no problem.

The $40 for the fixed one or $44 for the interchangeable one. Different heads are $20 each and shipping is less than $8. So very reasonable. They come in a small kit with instructions, several different grade strips of paper, a rubber and metal fret guards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

here's the extra bits you get when you buy one. Really happy with mine :)

[​IMG]

10. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I have this one from Amazon and just happened to have done my CV tele and my newly aquired Epi LP. with it last week..

It did work but, I can't imagine that other files aren't better. It was waaay faster than a triangular file though.

20200913_151213.jpg

11. amstratnut

I also would like to get something better than what I have but, nit pay stew mac prices.

12. tmonkjr

Very helpful, so thats really for the majority of the work, and will get the larger portion of it, and thoughts on which Diamond file you might suggest. I'll pay the money, all I care about is doing it right.
    Thanks
    Rick

mapleglo likes this.
  13. tmonkjr

Whats the name of that file, Ive seen it, but cant recall who makes it.

14. tmonkjr

I like these, I'll check his stuff out, does he also do diamond grit? I could find that out on his e bay page
    Thanks for that

ukoldgit likes this.
  15. tmonkjr

That looks like that Baroque file, cant be sure

16. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

They are both diamond grit files.

17. tmonkjr

well that certainly helps, do you know the name of that file?

18. amstratnut

Buytra or Yiwa. It looks similar to the Hosco but isnt diamond type grit.

tmonkjr likes this.
  19. tmonkjr

Thanks for that!

amstratnut likes this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

He has his own web page in the UK at https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_68 which is a bit better laid out than ebay. All the fret crowning and dressing files are in the same place.

He has some really nice adjustable fret bevel files too. All his tools seem to be hand made so your not likely to find them elsewhere.

The crowning file I have is simply called Diamond Fret Crowning File, Beech Handle. Mine has the 2.5mm wide (Medium to Large) head on it. Link to it on his page here