Join Strat-Talk Today

anybody else attend a School of Rock?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Dec 1, 2019.

1. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I did. I was frustrated about not meeting other people to play with. It landed me a bass role in a 7 piece cover band.

We gigged a bit and even recorded a 4 song cassette demo that had Man In A Box, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Red House (of course) and one original.

Then I left Atlanta.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

circles likes this.
  3. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I might get into one for the sole purpose of getting into a band and playing out. I’ve got the itch to do it.

doing from scratch is pretty tough I think vs having folks readily around you

I want to be in a blues band

circles likes this.
  4. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I attended a School of Rock since I was like 7. It was called "My life".

davidKOS, Electgumbo, circles and 2 others like this.
  5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

My buddies 11 year old does this. He learned to play drums in six months. They did their end of semester show three weeks ago and he rocked! From what I understand they choose new genres each semester. This one was Muse and Radiohead. Next is Duran Duran and Deep Purple. The one in my town does not let the students pick the type of music, they have a set ciriculm each semester depending on if you join performing band or others. They have a set of 6 songs they learn for the showcase. You are placed with other players, you don’t get to pick and create your “own band”. Plus its’ $250-$350 a month. I’d rather find my own band and play what I want.

https://www.schoolofrock.com/music-programs/adult-program

circles and Stark like this.
  6. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd rather find my own band and play what I want, but you gotta get started somehow. As much fun as it is to make fun of, I got a lot out of it. I had literally not played with other musicians before, so I had a good experience.

7. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I’d kind of like to teach at the one down the way here.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Interesting, had no idea there was such a thing. I like the mission statement. I think I like the business model - and it may be pretty successful, having grown to over 200 locations since 2008. Looks like a good option for a lot of folks.

circles likes this.
  9. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Lack of real money and social skills prohibit me from just about everything...its fun to watch through the window.

circles likes this.
  10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh I agree it's a great program and I am not making fun of it for sure.

circles likes this.
  11. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I took bass lessons at similar thibg here, House of Rock, for almost a year. But I already had a band. My friends (a couple in their late 40s) attend the same one, she as a singer snd he's taking up bass and drums (already plays guitar). She may have found a group but they're all teenagers so it remains to be seen how far it goes ..they're having fun, though

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    circles likes this.
  12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My experience includes someone who got going in school of rock, played in one of their bands then started a band yet still really could not play at all. I took that as an indictment of School of Rock.

13. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I did something similar at a local music store called "Adult Rock Band". It was less rigid then what they do at the School of Rock. We had input on songs, but ultimately the songs were chosen by the "mentor". It was a 2 month program and we met once a week for 2 hours and performed at 2 open mics. The open mics were held at the store's performance hall and are well attended.

It was a great way to achieve my dream of playing in a band. I did 2 sessions and it set me on my path to get into gigging bands. We tried for about a year to make it on our own but it went nowhere. Eventually I found myself in a duo and it took off from there for me personally.

The first song we did was "Wild Night" by Van Morrison. It's a song I would continue to play for the next 6 years! I improvised the solo and continue to play it mostly this way still.

I'm the guy playing the strat on the far left. It kinda makes me cringe, but I thought we did pretty well for a bunch of people with a wide range of skill and experience on our instruments.

If you have access to programs like this and are so inclined, I highly recommend it. I enjoyed every minute of it.

The guy playing bass was our mentor (instructor). The singer is a teacher there also.

808K, Mansonienne and circles like this.
  14. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I didnt go to the school of rock but did go to the atlanta institute of music when it was very new.
    Learned alot of stuff there.....it was very intense. Six days a week of hardcore learning.
    This is very lame but its one of the performance classes from level 1.
    Only myself and another from this class made it to level 4.
    Damn i was like 19 or 20.

15. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

May I suggest the meetup app? I was also looking for others to play with and eventually get a band going. I was able to do both through this app. Someone had suggested it to me on one of these boards a while back, so I'm paying it forward.

circles and EC Strat-boy like this.
  16. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

I too attended the "School of Rock", in the 70s...on the road.:sneaky::D

I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything!:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.