anybody know anything about Boss Nextone amps

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by myredstrat, Dec 12, 2020.

1. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Video is a couple years old.
    Don't cheat, listen.
    I picked 3 out of 4 just by what sounded best to me. Hotrod, princeton & I forget the 3rd comparison.(2nd sign o old age?)
    Now, I love my boss amp but it turns out the tubes sounded better to me
    1 of em I didn't think one was any better sounding than the other.
    And that was between the nextone & a ac-30.
    Go figure.
    But, they did not go into the editor to tweak things. It was all just the knobs on top.
    Problem is.. ya can't crank tube amps in your living room.
    The nextone can give you a pretty close 2nd at alot lower volume.
    And it seems super versatile

soulman969 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I don't know anything about the new model. I can't say I was impressed with the original. or the price.

4. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

5. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

They are a third series of amps produced using the BOSS/Roland proprietary Tube Logic approach to SS amp design. The concept analyzes both the preamp and power amp circuits of various tube driven amps and reproduces them with analog SS or digital SS versions.

They've been at this since the '90s when the original Blues Cube amps were introduced. I actually have one, a Blues Cube 60, and it is quite tube like in it's response. This approach has carried forward into the newer Blues Cube Series amps and the Katana Series amps as well.

While the Blues Cubes use a Fender Tweed type 6L6 amp topology as their basic voicing the Katana Series uses a more Marshall like EL34 basic voicing. The Nextone amps slide in between them with a design that allows the player to select from any one of the for most popular amp designs and voicings; 6v6, 6L6, EL84, and EL34. So it's another extension of the BOSS/Roland Tube Logic approach to SS amp design.

How accurate each voicing is in comparison to the actual tube circuits it emulates is left to the ear of the beholder. From my own experience my BC 60 certainly puts out the kind of cleans Fender Tweed amps are famous for and it will provide some nice lower gain "crunch" as well. However, I'm not in love with it's second higher gain channel and seldom if ever use it.

The Blues Cube and Nextone amps are both fully analog designs and they're not inexpensive but they are very well designed and well built amps. Roland amps are known for their dependability over time and I would expect no less from the BOSS versions.

Bowmap, StummerJoe and fos1 like this.
  6. soulman969

As an owner of both a Blues Cube and former owner of a Katana I didn't even have to cheat. The clean settings give them away.

Tube Logic amps have a certain I dunno, call it "sag" or maybe some depth or softness in their basic voicing when compared to the tube amp it replicates which has to my ears more presence.

It's there in each of the demos but then I also knew what to look for in comparison. IMHO this is neither good or bad just different but playing at higher gain levels for some it may make enough of a difference to choose the tube amp over the SS.

Where this is less noticeable as Pete also mentions is with the EL34 emulation. A Katana does nail that basic voicing quite well as does the Nextone. The differences in the more forward or present clean voicing of the Fender amps vs the more laid back or cushier voicing of the Nextone is more apparent to me.

And last but not least is the VOX. IME no one seems to be able to get a VOX EL84 voicing all that close. The Nextone can't really do it nor can my Egnater Tweaker which is a tube amp but not an EL84 fired amp. It can run EL34s and nail the Marshall voicing quite well but can't run EL84s so not an accurate VOX voicing.

In fact the pair of Tung-Sol ANOS 5881s I'm running get closer than anything else I've tried. The chime is there but not that mid forward VOX tone that makes them somewhat unique. Luckily for me that's not my preference so I'm much happier with more Fender like voicings which both my Tweaker and my BC 60 do quite well so I won't be buying a Nextone myself.....yet. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    StummerJoe, Bob the builder and fos1 like this.
  7. soulman969

StummerJoe likes this.
  8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

The Blues Cube Hot British EL84 Modified does a very good job, I think. I’ve loved mine for years.

soulman969 likes this.
  9. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I can't understand why the manufacturers keep trying to emulate a valve amp. Yes, at bedroom volumes they do very well but stick it on a back line with drums and bass and it all turns into doo-doo

in my not-so-humble opinion :p

Cerb, StummerJoe, Hugh and 1 other person like this.
  10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

There's a new model coming out called Theoneafterthelastone

11. soulman969

That's one I have not played but if they nailed an AC30 my hats off to them. The Nextone gets itself somewhat close but the minute you hear the VOX you know which is which.

It's the same with my "Tweaker"which has an AC setting but without a pair or quad of EL84s it doesn't get there. Best I've heard is my jam buddies Mesa TA15 which does use EL84s.

But in all of those demos the Nextone is running through it's speaker and not the same speaker as the others and IMHO the speakers have also been a big part of the VOX sound.

s5tuart and Bob the builder like this.
  12. soulman969

I think you'd be surprised to find these BOSS/Roland amps don't have that problem. Tit for tat they'll match other 1x12 or 2x12 amps of comparable output. Even a Katana @ 50w through 2 12s is a loud amp.

As club amps go a 60w 1x12 combo like mine matched up against a 2x12 45w Marshall combo in one band I was in and the 75w 3x10 version was more than a match for Super Reverbs as are the JC120s.

They keep makin' 'em because they sell and with their onboard attenuation they can be as useful at home or in a studio as they can be on a live gig. Outdoors or in a large venue most of the time your gonna be mic'd anyway.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

You? Not humble? I don't believe that for a second. :whistling:

As for the rest... :rolleyes:

Bowmap, Cerb, s5tuart and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

To me, amps are more about how they "feel" versus how they "sound".
    Some amps make you work really hard and some don't.

Baelzebub likes this.
  15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

You make an excellent point!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Baelzebub likes this.
  16. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

hahahaha.gif

Stonetone and Baelzebub like this.
  17. Quills

Quills Strat-Talk Member

I wanted a good SS amp, because I got tired of messing with tubes. So, I bought a Katana 100watt 1x12. Does it sound like a Marshall, 5150? I am not sure, but one thing I know! It is a rock n' roll machine! I will put it up against any amp!

Danny D and soulman969 like this.
  18. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster

Someone really should talk to their marketing people.

What manufacturer wants the customer to look at their product and thinking "The Next One will be..."?

StummerJoe likes this.
  19. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

He's the humblestest person in the world. He said so himself.

Danny D and Bowmap like this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I agree in that I don't understand why manufacturers try to emulate the tube tone. Why not just let the amps bebthe best they can be rather than trying to make them what they're not.

My favorite amp is a Quilter SS amp, it does its own thing, packs 200 watts and can be carried in a handbag.

s5tuart and Anacharsis like this.