Join Strat-Talk Today

Anybody out there play an EJ or 57 Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by hal hawkins, Sep 2, 2008.

1. hal hawkins

hal hawkins Strat-Talk Member

I'm looking for a maple neck strat. I played both of these today and I'm looking for pros and cons. Help and thanks.

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I have an EJ Strat and it's ok, but I wouldn't say it's anything special. 5 of my Strats have maple necks; 3 Custom Shop, a Deluxe HSS and the EJ. To me the necks mainly feel the same, but the EJ, does get quite sticky after 20 minutes of playing. I bought the EJ as a used bargain. I wouldn't pay full price for one.

Haven't played the 57

3. hal hawkins

EJ or 57

Thanks for the comment.

4. l84ttym

l84ttym New Member!

I just picked up a used EJ and am smitten! I haven't played my '69 Tele for three months since I got the EJ. My '69 Tele also has a maple neck but it's not even comparable to the EJ.

It's like heroin, I can't stop playing the thing!!

It took a little getting used to but it was definitely worth fighting through. Only took a week of playing it every night for an hour or so to really get comfortable.

It is an absolute tone machine too!!

5. hal hawkins

Hey John...

Tell me about that shoreline gold Strat. I'm loving the look. Is that a custom shop?

6. bobshobby

bobshobby New Member!

I played many guitars the past 30 years and they were all of the rosewood fretboard type. I have a friend that had a maple neck strat and on one or two occasions I got to play it briefly. I didnt have enough time to take in all the differences (nuances) to the guitar let alone to form an opinion about the neck/fingerboard but, 4-5 months ago I was looking for somethng to throw away some mony on and started lusting after a strat. I didnt have the $$$ for a custom so I opted for an EJ. I have not played any other electric of mine since. I love the sound the feel the weight the shape and absolutely love the difference in the maple neck. The EJ is supposed to have a V neck but, I really dont see much deviation from a C. It is brand new with correct serial #s so any modification isnt likely. The one possible drawback is the machineheads. Not of the upper end family Ive grown accustomed to. I cant say they are faulty or slip or anything, but they just feel cheap! Aside from that I love the guitar. Anyone have any thoughts on these machineheads ?
    Thanks

7. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

Bought an EJ on Saturday. This is, hands down, the best guitar I have ever owned-- or played-- and I have owned some exquisite guitars.

8. bobshobby

bobshobby New Member!

softmonkey
    im currious, does it have a serial # on the neck or only on the neck plate ?
    also what do you think about the tuning heads?

9. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

S/N: neck plate only.

I like the heads-- they are nice and very tight, which I like.

10. bobshobby

bobshobby New Member!

i agreee they feel tight but it seems as if the gear ratio is such that a small movement takes tuning up a half step, comparing these to shalers or grovers etc. I cant say theyre bad, but they dont have that precission feel of aftermarket ones.
    How about the serial # issue?

11. softmonkey

softmonkey Strat-Talker

Are you saying it's an issue that the serial number isn't on the back of the neck?

12. johnreardon

I assume you mean this one?

[​IMG]

It's a Custom Shop 50th Anniversary (Fender 1996) Relic. Sometimes called the Diamond Dealer model. Only 200 made in 1996 and relicing was done by Vince Cunetto. As you see it came with two cases, the tweed gig bag and a flight case

13. johnreardon

Never noticed any difference with the machine heads. They look almost the same as on my CS 56 relic. They certainly function well

14. Nut4rock

Nut4rock Strat-Talk Member

I've been playing an EJ Strat now for two years. Simply amazing quality for the price. As far as the sticky neck - mine was sticky the first week, like many other nitro finished necks. After I played the fire out of it a bit, the stickiness was gone and it slides like wet glass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Lapelcelery

Lapelcelery Strat-Talk Member

I've got a '57 hot rod, but I was tossing up between that and an Eric Johnson. There is very little difference between the two, even the neck and middle pickups sound remarkably similar in terms of producing a smooth, clear sound, but the DiMarzio pickup in the bridge position is much harsher than the one in the Eric Johnson, which meant for me that I could get quite a good compromise between a Mark Knopfler sounding texas sound in the bridge+middle position, and a very clean David Gilmour sound on the neck pickup. Overall I found the Eric Johnson had a very mellow sound, but still a very unique character, as I beleive it has it's own custom pickups. I chose the Hot rod because it had a better pickup selection to suit what I wanted to do with it, otherwise there is very little difference, in appearance or feel (though you may want to read up on the smaller differences on Fender's website).

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.