1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Anybody using a Celestion VT Jr. 10 inch Spkr ?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Tone Quest, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I am picking up a Fender FM 25r to use as a practice amp and for smaller gigs. Had one about 10 years ago and sold/traded it. I had put an Eminence 1058 in it, made it better but not great. Now that I am getting another FM 25r I will do another speaker swap. My 'big rig' is a Crate Power Block head with a 1x12 cab/Celestion G12 M Creamback. I am paying $50 for the amp, so I am willing to pay the same or slightly more for the speaker upgrade. Was thinking the VT Jr might approximate the Creamback sound. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

2. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Really? Nobody?

3. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

I'll respond because you asked, but it won't help. I tried one in my modded, original-issue Pro Jr., and I thought it was meh in a sort of neither this-nor-that way. Using words for speaker tone is a lost cause, but the best I can do is to say that I found the high end sort of hard rather than as airy as I like. I also like excessive lows, and it lacked that, though of course that would be a plus for many. My guess is that it might be ideal for many players, but it jusrt wasn't for me. I have a Weber (I forget which of their many models) in there now. In a small amp, I like ceramic speakers for the fast atttack, lack of premature breakup, and excell;ent rransient response. I figure if I'm goinbg with a smaller speaker, I should exploit the positive characteristics of that setup, rather than trying to imitate a 12. I love 10s.

Tone Quest likes this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Made me get up and look at my one 10" amp...nope.

Tone Quest likes this.