Anyone else been doing some guitar modding lately?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by HighwayStar106, Feb 2, 2021.

1. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I was about to say I prefer the white...

It'll look great either way. I expect. I really ought to get a blue guitar at some point.

Stratman84 and GeejeeZ like this.
  2. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

A friend of mine said, no question, it should be white, which had swaying that way, but the black pickup covers and the knobs are pretty cool. Not sure they'd look as good with the white, but you're right it'll look good either way. I chose the color for that reason. Duplicolor Bahama Blue, right out of the local auto parts store.

3. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

had me

4. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Seymore Duncan P-94 pickups and new tuning machines. New adjustable bridge, new pickup switch. Roars like a dragon now, or sweetly sings like a rare bird.
    CE930140-8237-4218-A04D-FA6474C9AB32.jpeg 7E771C7D-42D5-41B6-A5D1-D15A98703EDE.jpeg
    Also installed new Eric Clapton active pickups and tone controls on the strat. This guitar is now a weapon of mass destruction! Hahaha
    55FE3C70-FF80-4E5F-A9F7-663FFD2F009F.jpeg
    This guitar is less than two weeks old and I haven’t thought of anything for it yet. It’s kind of perfect!
    3CDB2F4A-A4BC-448B-A81E-8C12E6A67428.jpeg
    happy days to you!

5. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

For a long time I’ve looked at my Explorer and said, “I love the Explorer look but there is SO much open space on this body” Then one day I thought, “How would a Bigsby look on an Explorer?” I checked out a few examples on the web and thought it could look good. So I put a Bigsby B5 on my Christmas list and just recently got around to installing it. I took the easier (and less permanent) route of using a Vibramate base plate that mounts in the stop bar holes (no drilling). And I added a Vibramate string spoiler to eliminate having to bend the ball end of the strings and hook them into the little posts on the Bigsby string shaft during string changes. It’s super easy to do with the spoiler, the spoiler slides onto the posts, and the strings slide into the spoiler, and their tension holds the spoiler in place. There is also a Callaham replacement string shaft that has counterbored holes instead of posts so the strings just slide through the shaft. This option is less obvious than the spoiler and I may get one, but for now I’m using the spoiler.

Curious what you all think about this mod. Personally I like the look, it definitely fills in some of the open space on an Explorer body and it works great (for what a Bigsby can do). This is my first Bigsby ever and I have learned one thing for sure: the vibrato on a Strat is FAR superior to a Bigsby in terms of range, especially on pull ups. Bigsby vibratos are really limited on pull ups because of its design. If you pull up too much, the spring could pop out. The Strat’s block and spring assembly is just brilliant. But I still like the Bigsby on the Explorer, it’s staying. And it’s staying in tune well, other than the temporary adjustments needed while the strings stretch. Plus, this is an HP with G-Force tuners which work perfectly on this guitar (I know, shocking, but true) so it’s super easy to put in tune anyway.

IMG_8187 med.jpg IMG_8188 med.jpg IMG_8189 med.jpg

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I just changed the mini toggle switch on my midnight wine Frankencaster. The middle p'up is on a separate volume pot than the other two. I needed it to work as a blend pot when being used in parallel with the neck/bridge pups but be a volume pot when used as a stand alone. The toggle kills the three way switch and connects the ground on the middle p'up volume pot. Then breaks the ground when connecting the output of the three way switch turning it back into a blender.
    20210204_221654.jpg 20210204_221648.jpg 20210204_203843.jpg
    Plus the new toggle is a really nice flat bat toggle. Much better than the cheap mini I had on it that was just unreliable.

Edit: I am a little embarrassed about the sloppy wiring here. I was using all used parts except for the switches because I was trying to be cheap...it worked but next time I open this up I will be making a mod to the middle p'up volume pot and will clean up the wiring now that I know it all works the way I want it to.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  7. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

That Midnight Wine looks awesome! Did you paint that ?

8. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

It's not really modding so much...I needed to replace a pot in an archtop, and because that pretty much requires removing the entire harness I figured I'd route the pickups (PAF's) independently.

Also attempted bringing down some of the high end out of the bridge pickup...

...and doing the Neck in the "vintage" mode (tone unaffected by volume) while doing the bridge "modern" (volume affects tone)...

And...
    When some new pots arrive I'll be putting it back the way it came.

A harness hideoplasty on an archtop isn't any fun. I don't know what I was thinking.

Because I'm stupid.

Mr Jagsquire likes this.
  9. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

No, not that one. That's the original MIM poly. It did have a big scratch on it when I got it but I was able to sand and buff it out.

Jesse414 likes this.
  10. briand135

briand135 Strat-Talk Member

The last mods I did were to the Player Strat I bought last year. Locking Fender staggered tuners, roller string tree, block saddles which replaced the bent steel saddles and last, a recut nut.

11. Wylde Horses

Wylde Horses Strat-Talk Member

I installed a Gotoh Wilkinson tremolo and a set of Fralin Split Blades along with new controls on my strat. I went with a master volume, master tone and blender pot to blend in the neck on positions 1 and 2, or blend in the bridge on positions 4 and 5. All three are no-load pots - it’s pretty amazing how much the signal can be affected by regular pots with everything on 10. I always liked this guitar, but I can’t put it down now. 6D2934D8-8D2F-46D7-A403-EC834A381A7E.jpeg
    5FBF7AF6-7179-46C3-A8AB-2F1E5AF4988A.jpeg 91419BB1-A184-461E-9EDF-011A7AF73FAA.jpeg

12. mike58

mike58 Strat-Talk Member

32C804F7-4748-4AD7-80E4-5EEC1514B002.jpeg 16C3070C-27FB-4F26-830A-BFF569E2125F.jpeg 42C950F8-10A3-4B2C-88EC-06959DE2ECB5.jpeg 776E2C7B-15F6-4267-B567-D2E28649988B.jpeg I set myself the task of rewiring my lefty MIJ ‘62, so bought a £40 horror pink Strat and butchered it to become my wiring mule

I then set about eliminating pot ground wiring by earthing everything to lugs on the 5-way... neat... and it’s silent. Oh and wired 50’s and with 6800pF... which is a game changer ... no more 0.022uF for me.
    Tonerider Classic Blues pickup, very, very happy with sounds

13. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

Replace the stock pickups on my white AS Strat with Xotic RV-50s, replaced the stock pickups on my sunburst AS Strat with Xotic RV-60s, replaced the stock pickups on my Mexican Strat with Lollar Imperial hum buckers.

RV50s.JPG

RV60s.jpeg

Lollars.jpeg

14. mimmo

mimmo Strat-Talker

Here is my Classic Series 60s telecaster with a single ply white pickguard. I dig how it goes with the yellowed body.

20210204_211718.jpg

15. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

More parts arrived today. Did some checking to see where I can fit that Eric Clapton mid boost PCB and the battery...there is already space for them. :)

EC PP3.jpg

PCB mocked up:
    EC PCB.jpg

Mocked up the pickguard and plates. The Tele knob will control the mid boost and the white slide switch is a bypass in case of a fault/flat battery:
    Pickguard mock up.jpg

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I don't mod. I just obtain super crappy guitars and then make them playable.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Ha ha.....I never stopped.

On the menu for this year is converting my Nashcaster into a Brent Mason style pickup configuration sans the B-Bender.

I already have the Onamac bridge and middle pickups so I need Kerry Learned to wind a mini-humbucker for the neck that will match those two and order or build a three pot control plate.

Something a little different for an old friend Tele whose been with me awhile.

18. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

This just in. Switched the Fender HB for a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. In the process of adjusting the height.

upload_2021-2-6_10-50-5.jpeg

19. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

My «Dave» was delivered (yet again) to the local luthier. I need more space underneath the hot rails/jb jr, so I can lower them a bit more.

At the same time I decided to try some pots they were talking about last time I was there. Just for fun, only to see if it makes any difference. Hope so, quite expensive for pots.

When I get the strat back, it is going to stay permanently at my new rehersal space.

0DCBE708-13ED-4C74-8B6F-4255B8F73820.jpeg

20. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

I converted a tele from from a 3 pickup to a 2 pickup with a 5 way switch and changed my pickguard to a metal one.
    IMG_0448.jpg
    From this.............
    IMG_0272.jpg
    To this.