Anyone else content with their gear ?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by TIMB, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

After a few decades of playing, well over 1000 gigs, several boutique amps, countless pedals, several guitars, etc., etc., I've reached a point where I care less about the gear. I'm not sure what happened, but it's a great feeling. I've focused a lot more energy on improving my playing and I'm doing more recording and writing than I ever have (thanks in part to the pandemic, of course). My playing has advanced and I'm playing better than ever. I get way more satisfaction out of that than buying some new gizmo.

I do still look at gear and there will be things in these forums that catch my eye, but I evaluate my needs based on whether or not a given piece of gear will be a useful and valuable tool. After all, any guitar/amp/pedal/whatever is just a tool to make music. As the saying goes, the tools don't make the carpenter. The carpenter needs a good suitable set of tools, but there's a point at which that doesn't matter.

2. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I am. I’m waiting on a pedal that i bought two days ago. 10 guitars and 9 amps ought to be enough. I think I need a banjo though. Or a resonator. Or both.

drp146 and Stonetone like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmm...no, I still want to change a few things---for no good reason, except to change. Yesterday, I made a Reverb purchase of a Gretsch G5232T Duo Jet...I'd been looking at them for months.

drp146 and Stonetone like this.
  4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Content with gear....

53001D6D-624D-4642-BB8E-A5B400E2C23A.jpeg

5. Stevn

Stevn Strat-O-Master

I love my stuff, but I can’t stop. I make all the tones I love, I don’t need anymore gear, but I can’t stop. I still have acoustics from the late 1960’s.
    I’m waiting on a Harley Benton T-52 natural finish from Germany right now. But I already have a fender tele. WTF am I thinking??

drp146, Glyderslead and TIMB like this.
  6. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I am very content with my gear, that’s why I am refraining from buying more

drp146 and TIMB like this.
  7. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

Fairly content... for now. I'm sure that will change as soon as the pandemic is over and people start getting together again to play. Then I'll realize I actually hate all my gear and that I need new __________________ (amps, guitars, pickups, effects, fill in the blank ;-)).

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Friend of mine is like that, I don’t envy him though, he’s got a ukulele !

9. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I'm getting there. Back in the summer I decided I'd rather have a few good pieces rather than a bunch of so-so. So I sold four guitars and an amp, but then I ended up buying five guitars and an amp with the money. I'm a lot happier with my new stuff though; it fits me and my style better than what I sold.

10. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-O-Master

As far as electrics, amps and pedals go I feel extremely lucky to have what I already do.

11. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

If you're like me, you'll find that a pedal board is never done, it just goes through different iterations. I looked at a pic of my pedal board 10 or more years ago, and there isn't a single pedal on there that's on my current board.:p

12. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I am very content with my guitars

Does that mean I "have all I need"? Heh heh. That's my wife's view.

Here's a tip: when you get to a certain number, the wife struggles to remember them all, and you can just slip in a newbie undetected from time to time. Then you say,"Oh no, I've had that for a while." You need not say that a "while" is like an hour. Just a tip for you newlyweds.

drp146, Doc538, SalvorHardin and 2 others like this.
  13. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Yeah, been through many versions. However, some of the same pedals keeps coming back time after time, and Small Stone never left.

14. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

my wife told me I am

15. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

You do! I bought one just before Thanksgiving, and I can't believe how much fun I'm having playing it.

I can also tell you that Banjo Hangout is not nearly as enjoyable as Strat Talk, but I did find a guy (Jim Pankey) there who makes incredibly good instructional videos.

drp146 likes this.
  16. Arvelup

Arvelup New Member! Silver Member

Yes, I am. Last year I hankered over adding a Strat with a coil splitter combo and a Les Paul with P90s. Just because.....
    Didn't feel I could justify the expense of originals as I'd recently retired, so built my own. One from parts individually sourced and the other a "New Jersey" kit. By no means is either perfect comparable with an original Custom Shop, the necks being the most difficult to get right, but I'm happy! I keep mine on display (I know not necessarily a good thing for them), but when I walk past them I can't help but smile and ponder, "they are all extraordinarily beautiful, I'm so lucky, which one should I play today?"

17. bad player

bad player Strat-Talk Member

6 amps is probably too much, at least now that everything has been stopped by official requests. No band rehearsals, no gigs, nothing.
    10 guitars is maybe 1 too much, because almost every day I play the PRS only. The gems lie in their cases crying...
    The last one I bought was a stock Epi 335 from Anderton's. Had to take it to my luthier because of a fret problem. So, now it is almost perfect. Might sell it and buy a Gibson 335 instead?

Soundwise, my home-made Uraltone amp beats every factory made amp I've gotten my hands onto. The Marshall, Roland, Fender, AER and Warwick have had a time off for 3 months now.

18. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, finally content with my gear.

I mean, I am having pickups replaced on a guitar, but after that, I think I'm done.

In the last 6 months, I got two guitars that I've wants for over 25 years.

I always said they were the 'last two I needed'

Maybe one day I'll get a vintage Fender combo amp or something old and cool, but I couldn't be more content with my gear.

Now the hard part...learning to play

19. pepper56

pepper56 Strat-Talk Member

Yep..... A Strat, LP, and a Matin. My Amp is the same as has been for decades, My 65' Fender Twin

20. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Yes I'm pretty much content guitar wise, though I have been pondering a one off unique scratch build for this summer just to see if I can pull it off. I'm probably gonna end up buying a neck for it and maybe one or two others, part of my trickle down neck philosophy. Wouldn't throw out a good deal on a smaller Marshall either. Pedals, always seeing something out there that's tempting but at this point its become less about need and more about want/curiosity.

Other than that though, I'm good. <eyeroll>

rafasounds, drp146 and TIMB like this.