Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone else doubt they'll buy another Fender guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ruscio, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

I've owned Fender guitars for more than 30 years, but I doubt I'll buy another. This isn't a protest, and I've had no bad experiences. They're just not evolving, even with their "modern" lines. And I'm not into "vintage" anything, so I guess Fender isn't very serious about folks like me. That makes me wonder how rare my tastes might be.

I liked the Fender Elite strats of recent years almost enough to buy one. The compound radius is cool--but not at all unique to Fender. The contoured heel is alright--but not as good as most other brands'. You name it: The ___ is nice--but not as nice as those of brands X, Y, and Z.

I wanted so much to see the Fender Ultra strats offer something more so that I could consider buying a Fender. Today is such a letdown. I wanted SS frets, or high-output pickups, or I don't know, something at least a little bit modern, or innovative, or exciting in some way. Other than an oddly shaped (and functionally useless) carve surrounding the heel, what did we get? Nothing much, nothing at all?

I guess what I've learned today is that the only thing I love about a strat is the body shape. I keep coming back to my strats for their feel while playing. But there's not much that Fender has to offer that I even feel tempted to own.

Warmoth (and perhaps other) strat-style bodies and necks are much better in terms of options, and build quality is at least as good.

Any number of vendors offer better trem systems, whether locking or not.

You name it, part for part, someone else out there offers something as good as or better than Fender, usually with more options, higher quality, and/or for less money. Part of Leo's genius was making it super-easy for some ordinary person like me to screw the parts together for myself.

So I'm torn. I have this lingering fondness for Fender in my heart, but I can't imagine buying another guitar they make. Or even many parts. Am I alone in this?

Yves, CephasG, mshivy and 4 others like this.
  2. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

I’m in the boat with you. There’s just so many options for parts now a days, I can much easier build a guitar to my exact specs that I’ll love forever, than I can find a factory fender that I love

Yves, rich724, Silvercrow and 3 others like this.
  3. jim293

jim293 Strat-O-Master

I say now I will never buy another guitar. My wife says I wont buy another guitar but you never know. Something may peak my interest. But for right now I am quite content.

Yves, jwj1701, PCollen and 4 others like this.
  4. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Unless Fender ever comes out with a Mick Mars signature model, prob not, and even if they do it would probably only be for fan-boy reasons.
    My Jackson strat hits all the marks I want in a s-type guitar to be honest.

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I think the next "fender" I get will be built by me.
    After that I'm not sure. I'm pretty happy with what I have now...cept maybe a nicer acoustic.

6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I doubt that I'll ever buy another guitar, let alone a Fender.

space, savofenno, Silvercrow and 3 others like this.
  7. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I got burned out on them and currently own 0 Fenders, but I know me. There's a JM or Jag out there that will eventually be calling my name.

space, abnormaltoy, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I think Fender still makes good guitars. You say their new Ultra Strats don't offer anything new, exciting, or innovative - Is there anything specific you're looking for? And when you say it's not as nice as what's offered by other brands, what exactly is not as nice?

I actually no longer own a whole Fender-made guitar.. Currently I have a G&L USA-made Comanche (they let me specify the options I wanted) and a partscaster (I chose all the parts and options - It has a Warmoth body and a Fender neck). I like those guitars, in big part because I got to choose basically all the options. But they're not really much different from a Strat-style guitar you'd see anywhere else.

One of the things that can be frustrating is that Fender offers fairly limited options for colors & things for each particular model. That's the way it has always been though. You can either buy one & customize it to your liking or build a partscaster.

If I didn't currently have any Strats though, Fender's MIM Deluxe Strat (in transparent blue) might be one I'd buy. And I think their new blue Ultra Strat looks nice too.

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

I probably will not get another Fender soon. Not saying forever though. That said, I currently have 9 Strats, mostly AVRI, 5 Teles, and a dozen Gibson/Epiphones, all P90 loaded. I would have to see Fender, or Gibson, come up with something new, to get me interested. It just hasn't happened for a while.

abnormaltoy and Stratoman10 like this.
  10. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Stainless Frets of course.

If there is one thing I hate, it's getting a brand new Fender, and then having to spend 3 hours refretting it.

Yves, Norrin Radd, pj1440 and 3 others like this.
  11. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

It's really hard for the iconic brands like Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc. to do things that are too innovative without pissing people off. That being said, I do believe there is room for some more modern updates to the Ultra line. But remember the last time Fender did something really different, they didn't sell that well...the Strat Deluxe Plus with the personality cards you insert in the back to change the wiring. Cool concept and it worked well, but people didn't buy them.

12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I could see possibly an EJ Strat but no real big hurry there. It's no dig against Fender but I've got 5 guitars now with another on the way . Plus all my amps, pedals, etc. I have plenty of gear and it's going to be hard to shoehorn anything else in here

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. 59FenderSuper

59FenderSuper Strat-Talk Member

At my age, I'll never buy another guitar.

14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I may have been tempted to buy a Strat Deluxe Plus.. It was unique in that it could do what it did without active electronics. I'd have hoped the market for it would grow so that there would be more "personality cards" developed for it. Also, I think the pickups in those guitars simply plugged into the board rather than being soldered in? I think the idea was that you could more easily swap out the pickups if you wanted to. One thing I didn't understand though, was for a guitar called the "American Deluxe Plus", why it didn't have the contoured heel like the American Deluxe did? Though the contoured heel is probably not a huge deal to me.

Also, there's probably only so much those personality cards could do. There are some wiring options can also require additional physical switches & such.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Yes, I've discovered this too. I just received a custom walnut body from Warmoth today, and the quality and finish are amazing. With the custom neck that I'm going to use with it, and all the hardware, it'll be substantially less expensive than a comparable Fender, and it'll have a lot of features I can't get from Fender, like a 1-3/4" wide nut, stainless frets, and a rear rout body.

photo002.jpg

16. mjea80

mjea80 Strat-Talker

So you’d rather buy from a guitar company (Warmoth) that wouldn’t even exist if it wasn’t for Fender in the first place?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Why
    Do you think it's better just because it says fender on the headstock?
    What I don't understand is buying a fender just to change out every piece in it.
    I'd rather do my own build and put everything I want in it from the jump.

18. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I kinda have all I need.
    In fact...I have more than I need.
    So yeah...don't need another guitar. I actually need to get rid of a few. LOL

Yves, dogletnoir, davidKOS and 6 others like this.
  19. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Why would anyone buy a brand new guitar? They are overpriced, garbage wood, and questionable electronics... but mostly that 20-50% instant value loss is just inconceivable to me.

Here's my theory - Leo and Freddy are dead. They were the guys that really made Fender special. So anything after their demise is fair game and all the same. Best I just build it myself and get exactly what I want, as to pay some corp that has rights to Leo's name. I own a Hallmark instead of a Mosrite for the very same reason.

20. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

I don't think I will be buying anything more than what I have now really. I'd like a Coranado II if I can find one with the original WRHB pickups but that would be a used Fender. I might toy with the idea of a Classic Vibe Starcaster because the one I tried at the shop that one time was actually really nice. However after I finish my bridge pickup install on my early partscaster that will be it for the most part. None of the new stuff is cost effective and I have 3 partscaster strats that are brilliant, 1 custom tele that is very very nice (and not a Fender) and since I am not a pro player, and pretty much "low income" for now (and who knows how long) I can't see anything that will make me want to buy a new Stratocaster, or a new anything really.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.