Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone else doubt they'll buy another Fender guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ruscio, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Good point. So the company has purchased and operated others that are more modern, maybe they really don't need pretend that anything with the Fender logo is modern?

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  2. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

I'm not keen on dissing Fender for not building the exact guitar that I want at any given time. I'm confident I'll buy another Fender at some point for the simple reason they make great guitars and I'm less focused on specs and more on how a given guitar plays. I often find myself enjoying and buying guitars that aren't what I want or am looking for. I like the variety. Right now, I'm really liking vintage specs and don't like that the American Original Series replaced the American Vintage guitars. But I also know they'll be back. In the meantime, there's 65 years of used Strats out there and the ability to make partscasters, not that I need another Strat. I also have a few modern spec Strats that I really like.

I might want an offset or a second Tele some day. Who knows? I might build a Warmoth-based custom thing too. But I'm always open to a good guitar if the space and money allow. Maybe it'll be a Fender, or a Gretch, or custom build.

Regarding buying new? Sure, if I really liked the guitar. I tend to shy away from new on the basis of price, but if I truly believe I'll keep it for life and that particular guitar speaks to me and I think the price is fair over how long I expect to own it, then why not? The value loss only matters if it's too much for what it's worth to me in the first place or I intend to flip it, in which case I must wonder why I'd be buying it in the first place.

I find all the online dissing every time a new line comes out predictable. The Vintera line got the same treatment, but every Vintera I've put my hands on has been wonderfully built and played and sounded great. I suspect the same will happen with the Ultra line, which btw, doesn't really appeal to me. But so what. I like that Fender makes a range of options and that there are other non-Fender or partscaster options to fill in the rest. They can't cover everyone's preferences and I'm sure they have the data to make rational product management decisions. I built a Fender-based partscaster with a non-Fender loaded pickguard and brass bridge and it's an amazing guitar. I later bought a couple Fenders, so for me, it's not one or the other.

The quality and choices available in the marketplace are vast and of high quality. It's a good time to be a guitarist.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    _MS_, BuddyHollywood and Ruscio like this.
  3. Stratstrangler

Stratstrangler Strat-Talker

I own two Strats which are an '01 and '12 both purchased as used ones. I'd recommend used because of the huge supply of them that can frequently be found in almost new-like shape.

Leo and his advisors got it right with their Stratocaster. It took between 10 and say, 20 years before players really discovered what the guitar could really do. Advances made in amplifiers over the decades proved newer sounds for enforcing the role of the Strat and when Dire Straits took off in the 1980's it seems everyone needed a Strat. I think the Strat reached its zenith in the 1980's with players like SRV, EC, and Mark Knopfler; to name just a few. Part of the reasons why we deem Strats not to have advanced in a large degree can be traced it first, “traditions” and 2nd. is it’s ability to adapt its tone to many music genres.

Stratstrangler

4. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talk Member

Interesting point - I mean how many guitars can the world sustain? Surely we have enough by now? :)

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  5. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

You may be right. It's no secret that Fender's bread 'n butter is the classic, vintage style appeal. Nothing wrong with that. Now compared to their past/history, the American Deluxes/Elites/Ultras certainly are "modern" in comparison. Just because other companies have the same modern appointments though doesn't mean Fender is lagging behind, IMO. They're just trying to appeal to a wider audience which is what many businesses strive for. Some people will like it, some won't. But there's no denying they offer A LOT alternatives to accommodate A LOT of different players and playing styles.

Ruscio and Cyberi4n like this.
  6. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

You two are Heavy Metal Freakboys!!!!
    Go buy a sunburst strat with tiny vintage frets and low output pickups and play the blues , dammit!!!

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You don't already know?

[​IMG]

8. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

If mine was stolen yes I would buy another Strat.

9. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

No, I didn't. But I do know that the UK importer used to be in Sheffield. I bought an LC160 back in 2012.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

I'm talking about almost 25 years ago. I don't buy guitars very often.

fezz parka likes this.
  11. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

A very wise policy, one which I am in the process of adopting.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

On average, I buy one about every 12 years, I'm very impetuous...

And it often takes that long to find one I like.

mshivy and misterwogan like this.
  13. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

yeah I agree, that Charvel has added some modern features to their guitars, but the vast majority of their instruments are MIM, which are great, but doesn't give many options for buyers who want MIA/MIJ instruments. At least from what I could see, Charvel either has the production MIM's or the super high end custom shops, but not much in the middle like a production MIA.

I think they can close the gap by either adding SS frets in the Elite/Ultra series OR adding a production MIA line in the Charvel brand

Ruscio likes this.
  14. winemaker

winemaker Strat-Talker

I've got all the guitars I want. No, really!

Includes 7 Fenders.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I don't own any "Fender" guitars, but I do own 4 Squiers, 2 of them Strats. I do own 2 Fender amps. I like buying guitars, I think I've bought 5 of them in the past 5 years. If I happen across a good deal on a Fender guitar at the same time I've got money to burn, I'll consider it.

But a guitar will have to be noticeably nicer than the ones I already own for me to shell out over 300 bucks. So actual "Fender" may never happen.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Same thing when you buy a new anything.

New Laptop = 70% loss in 3 years.

New car = 60% loss in 3 years.

New phone = 100% loss in 3 years.

New TV = 80% loss in 3 years

New Fridge = 50% loss in 3 years.

New Drone = 60% loss in 3 years.

Guns and quality Watches are the only things I can think of that you might be able to get away with 20% depreceation

Ruscio likes this.
  17. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I will probably get a Tele in the near future. I wish I'd kept the neck off a 2003 American Tele I sold awhile back, it was perfect. I'd got a pine body and picked out some top of the line pickups for it & put it together myself.
    "Real" Fender or not, it would have been a dream guitar...

Ruscio likes this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Fender keeps up with inflation, simple as that.

In 1959, a Strat used to cost $295 (that's $2,603 in today's dollars)

-

So really, the 3rd version of Fender is giving you a way better value for your money.

You can get a Fender Pro for $1099 on sale, or go asscrazy and get an Elite for $1299 on sale.

(we can probably assume that once the initial demand for the Ultras calms down, they too will be available for ~$1299)

inflate.jpg

19. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

I can buy that (pun intended!)

I was blown away when I watched a video recently talking about Gibson and Fender's early days- the cost of a Gibson 335 (I think- hollowbody, anyway) and a Fender Strat with case- both of which were solidly in the mid $200.00 range! Serious money back in those days!

Again- I hope noone takes my comments to be denigrating-to Fender or anyone individually. Just my opinions and seriously, I buy 'last year's' models of guitars, cars, whatever I'm buying. AND I do support, verbaly and with my wallet, industry that helps the U.S. grow and stay viable.

A recent discussion with music buddies- if it were nt for Leo Fender & Co. we might not have had the guitars and amps we know and love today. ALMOST every, if not EVERY, viable guitar manufacturer, amp manufacturer owes a deep debt to that non-guitar playing inventor / entrepreneur!

Brian

20. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

An excellent point, but I wonder whether "in recent years" there might have been unusually steep price increases? The long-term trend is for Fender to drop real prices (that is, relative to inflation). But that doesn't mean they've been doing it lately. Anyone have any figures for Fender prices on comparable models from year to year? For example, can we trace the price of a sunburst, maple Am. Std/Pro strat back for 10 years or more?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.