Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone else doubt they'll buy another Fender guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ruscio, Nov 5, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Inflation does not rise at the same rate every year.

2018 3%
    2015 0.12%
    2009 -1.9%

Or some years could have an unseen cost like changes in allowable paint emissions or disposal fees.

A model change is a good time for a company to ease in a necessary price hike as there will be less push-back.

Neil.C and Ruscio like this.
  2. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

I'm fine if Fender guitars stay the same for the rest of my life. They don't need to innovate anything. They already sound and play great.

3. Dickey69

Dickey69 Strat-Talk Member

Problem is new production guitars just don't have what the vintage guitars have...which is a touch & dynamic sensitivity that Fender has not been able to duplicate, nor will they ever. Same with Gibson. Which is why I ONLY play vintage original guitars, or Custom Shop. And, Unless they are Custom Shop, new guitars just ain't got it.

Things that are already good do NOT need to evolve, because when they do, it is usually for the worse.

BuddyHollywood and savofenno like this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I've got a few high quality vintage strats from the 50s and 60s that I bought in the 1970s.

They look great, they play great.

But I'll be the first to admit, they rarely get played, because I can set the action so much lower on my 2014 Compound Radius neck - so it's my #1.

I've moved their ancient electronics to other guitars over the years, no big magical difference that would be worth paying all that money for.

Like we always say, a 1959 Corvette is a thing a beauty, but you would not want it as a daily driver; because it rides like crap.

diogoguitar, Andrew Wasson and space like this.
  5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I think most fender players are somewhat traditional so, inovation is a tough sell.

Bottom line in my opinion, Fender has pretty much run out of ideas for strats. So they just make incremental changes to a bunch of models, in hopes that it keeps them front and center in peoples minds.

Ive seen a bunch of Strat Ultra threads so, it must be working.

mshivy, Ruscio, vid1900 and 1 other person like this.
  6. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

lol.......wow.

Bob the builder, vid1900 and Ruscio like this.
  7. cc407

cc407 Strat-Talker

I really love my MIM Strat and it does what I hope for. I had and sold off a MIA Strat in the 90's and this MIM gives what I remember. That said, I still have temptations but these change week to week. I doubt I'll get another Fender.

Ruscio likes this.
  8. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

No.

I think quality has dipped a bit and there are still too many good used models out there for a better deal.
    This year I've bought a bunch of discontinued American Vintage Reissues so I'm still buying Fender guitars. Just nothing they make currently.

I'm playing a Rick 12 in a new band and thought the Alternate Universe Fender 12 looked like a nice back up of cheaper option at $999. I tried 3 of them at surrounding guitar stores and they all weighed a ton, have a cheap plastic fake feel, and that awful looking pao ferro fretboard. Picked up a few Danelectro 12s and they felt, sounded, and looked better at even less cost!

I tried a few of the new Vintera line as well and I feel the same. Especially the 60s models with those fret boards. These are no fancier than the original MIM 50s and 60s Classics that came out in the late 90s. Those were great deals and IMO felt better than the current offerings. Those two experiences coupled with Fender cancelling the American Vintage line has made me call it quits with them.

Ruscio likes this.
  9. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

Not sure. The older I get the less I jam out of the house and I already have a number of great strats, am std., deluxe, and big apple. In addition to a bunch of others. Not sure what another strat would do for me but hey, ya never know.

Ruscio likes this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Exactly what I said, three guitars ago.

11. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I have a Strat that I love, a Tele I love, and a Thinline I love. I might go crazy and want a Jazzie someday, but... I think I'm probably set.

Ruscio and space like this.
  12. MitchellD1

MitchellD1 Strat-Talk Member

For me, that's not who Fender is. All of the innovation and modern designs can be found on guitars from other manufacturers. Fender is Fender. The Stratocaster is a classic and darn near perfect since 1954. But that's just me, I'm perfectly content with the vintage or standard features.

Neil.C, Ruscio, Andrew Wasson and 2 others like this.
  13. Stratafied

Stratafied Strat-Talk Member

How about a John Mayer PRS strat.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. space

space Strat-Talker

fwiw i could not find a tele that had "The Sound" I associated with a tele
    the same went for strats
    after owning many teles I ended up with the only "tele" with the sound except it was a 70s ibanez tele
    as far as strats ive owned a few that did not have it (early 80s)
    I found nirvana in 2 a pre 74 ibanez and a 79 fender
    Once I found the sound I dont need to keep searching (though some of the deals Ive seen have me tempted)

fos1 and Ruscio like this.
  15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

They drop
    A player series tele is $100 less than when I bought mine last year.
    Don't get me wrong. I love my tele but it's kinda a kick in the...

Ruscio likes this.
  16. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I picked one of these up recently and WOW what a guitar. The looks and some of the features are a little more modern.

[​IMG]

Stratbats, vid1900, Neil.C and 5 others like this.
  17. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have five guitars, number six on the way. Five were bought new. The one that wasn't was found by the store I buy from normally. So they guaranteed the purchase. It was two year old NOS. I like new, unmolested guitars. I like warranties. I like knowing that some clown didn't do a hack job on something that won't show up until it's making things a big PITA. Or if someone did do something stupid, they can pay for it, not me

Ruscio likes this.
  18. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender: Unveils the American Ultra series with "the design of the future"

Guitarists everywhere: OK Boomer..

Funniest thing I've seen this week.. :D

19. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

At my age, I have learned to NEVER predict what I will or will not do in the future. There's just way too many influences and unknowns that influence the situation/opportunity whenever it happens!! But I don't foresee a loss appreciation of Fender and their products on the horizon for me!

20. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I would buy the right Telecaster. I don't need another Strat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.