Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone else doubt they'll buy another Fender guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ruscio, Nov 5, 2019.

1. 93studiolite

93studiolite Strat-Talker

Probably not. I have my Strat and just sold the second one I purchased. I still have a tele neck for a future build though.

Cyberi4n and Ruscio like this.
  2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I'm not in a hurry for a new guitar. This time last year I was just itching for a new Strat but I've been so busy playing (practicing, writing and recording) recently that it's kind of depleted the GAS. That, and I think the Eric Johnson Strat I picked up earlier this year is about as good as it gets. It's a looker, it's buttery smooth to play and has a great sounding set of pickups.

In terms of new guitars, I was considering a Baja Tele since they're blowing those out at the local shop but on a recent thread @Thrup'ny Bit suggested looking at the Squier Tele, so I'll be doing that for sure. Other than that, I'd like to get a Classic Player 50's Strat if possible. If one comes up, I'll jump on it. If not, I really don't care. Mine are set up just the way I like them and they do everything a Strat needs to do.

As far as Fender, the guitar company is concerned, I think their guitars are pretty much bang on these days. If I want a shredder guitar, I'd probably get an Ibanez but if I want an S/S/S Strat or a Telecaster and if I don't want to build it myself, I'll get a Fender. Never thought I'd be a Fender "fan-boy" but here I am with 4 Fender Guitars and a pair of Fender amps.

Oh, I played a Fender MIJ Catalina acoustic at a party in the summer. I know nothing about that model but it was miles better than any acoustic I've ever owned so I'll get one of those if I see one used.

Ruscio and Bob the builder like this.
  3. GarrettM

GarrettM Strat-Talk Member

I'll be buying at least two in the nearish future. An MIJ strat on my trio to Tokyo next year, and then probably a Player series strat sometime after that.

Maybe even a cheap Jazzmaster if I come across one.

What I probably won't be doing is buying anything new or MIA, for money reasons.
    But you never know.

Andrew Wasson, diogoguitar and Ruscio like this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have no pressing desire for a new Fender... but if there's one thing I've learned in the last 45 years, it's never say "I will never buy another one"

5. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Great post!!

Personally, if funds allow I would/will by another Fender, I'd love an Ultra Jazzmaster, Ultra Strat or Ultra P Bass HOWEVER this is by no way a need, it's purely a want. I have all the guitars I would ever need, too many to be fair (35 although I could do with a couple more basses :) ) and can cover any and all situations with one of my higher end Strats or my custom made Bass.

The question I ask myself is do I enjoy the differences in every guitar I have? Hell yes! If I change that opinion and I find one or more that don't bring me any joy then I'll start selling.

I love fender and there are multiple models in their range which I would buy today if money allowed. Would I keep hold of it after a couple of years, maybe, maybe not, but I'd enjoy the purchase, honeymoon phase, gigging it and practicing with it.

All in I think Fender have the right view on their product releases as do Gibson. As has been said above, Fender and Gibson have tried to deviate from the norm and produce totally different and new forward thinking designs based on the classic shapes. What happened? They all flopped.

Guitarists are an odd bunch, make a classic guitar exactly as per old production methods, "it's too classic, they are living in the past", make a brand new design with innovative features "why do Fender/Gibson keep doing this, they should stick to the classics".

Damned if they do damned if they don't...

Neil.C and Ruscio like this.
  6. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talk Member

7. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

DB also very disappointed, though he was expecting a lot more than me. How "revolutionary" is a guitar that's more than a decade behind most other makers? And why on Earth would you use a vintage tint on the neck of your modern guitar? That screams "old, traditional".

For those who don't want Fender to be revolutionary, or modern at all, who love the strat the way it is, I have absolutely no problem or argument with that. Selling guitars with specs that are 40-65 years old to those who want that is great. But then Fender should stop *pretending* they're doing anything very modern or revolutionary in their other lines.

As disappointed as some of us may be, I can only imagine how hard this would be for Leo to see. He was always so far ahead of his time. I'll bet he'd strongly disagree with those who feel he "got it right" back in the day and that there's "no need to innovate".

8. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I will never buy another production electric guitar, unless i get the urge to have something with a set neck, like a les paul or a usa jackson.
    Im pretty set on guitars anyway......hell, i only use two of them with this band. The rest just kinda stay at home and are strewn everywhere so one is always close by.

Stratbats, Ruscio and Cerb like this.
  9. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

New guitars are expensive. Getting over yourself is free.

Stratbats likes this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Just like if I ever get my picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone, if Fender ever gets around to developing my "signature" Strat, I might get a couple copies for family and friends...

`

Ruscio likes this.
  11. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

The design principles for the Fender products were locked in place long ago.
    Certain modifications were made for tuning stability, pickups, and ease of use as playing styles styles evolved. But the principles of the modular design are all solid.

Not really much further to go with the technology. It's a guitar, not an F22.

You'll notice the dining room table, the garden hose, or the shovel haven't changed a lot. You find a design that works and you stick with it.

Guitar fundamentals remain the same.

That's really the beauty of it.

Neil.C, Belexes, abnormaltoy and 3 others like this.
  12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

Well said.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-Talker

Most of us have more guitars than we really need.If i needed another one for the "sport" of it so to speak or a template to mod..i would rather buy a squier.If i wanted to spend more money i would make one myself or buy some quality parts from warmoth or musikraft.The real strat like almost all...real guitars is overpriced for what it offers.

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Triops haven’t changed in 70 million years...

46E4A0BC-3AAF-454C-AB1D-8320DB0C7608.jpeg

Perhaps (much like the Stratocaster) they are nature’s most perfect design?...

I’m thinking the next great innovation is going to be in the area of “air” guitars...

8F7A6EE0-9BE5-455B-A056-D3D9AB5C2518.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I stopped reading at the middle of page 2 so this may have already been said.

I would prefer every guitar I own to be a brand name. Fender, Charvel, Jackson or Ibanez. I place a lot of value on having that actual name on the guitar. I built a Warmoth as I wanted Graffiti yellow and there was no other way to get it done. I love that guitar but it is home built. To me it is like those kit car companies in the 1980's where you could get a fake body of a Lamborghini Countach and place it on a Fiero frame. But it isn't real. Now that is a bit of a stretch analogy wise but it illustrates my point.

I have two really nice custom shop guitars which are stunning to look at and I think they are worth the money, sort of. I recently pulled the pickguard off my transparent orange and suddenly the magic was lost. It becomes just another guitar to me as under the pickguard it was just another guitar. And yet it is still special as it came from the custom shop. But then I am placing value on the uniqueness of the guitar as opposed to only going by how it plays.

Yes a Warmoth could have been built with the same electronics but a solid one piece ash body, flame maple neck with dark rosewood fretboard would still have cost over $1,000. And I would have a nice home built guitar. But something about it being "only" a Warmoth says knock off like that lady with a fake designer hand bag. Again this is not the best analogy but I am really struggling with just going by the tone a guitar makes with the satisfaction of the guitar being an authentic brand.

I think the mod-shop is one of the better deals going in guitar. You get a semi custom guitar that is still a Fender, built in the US by what I assume are better craftsman, and the price is only about $1,600 (Fender play gives you a 10% discount) depending on what you specify. Spending $2,000 on a premium off the shelf model in a color I hate makes no sense to me as the guitar has to look right, feel right and sound right for that kind of money. A full on custom shop is way more cash but you can get premium materials so you get something for that outlay.

I think the worst guitar to buy is an expensive guitar made by a well known Luthier that is a copy of a Strat or Tele body with this other guy's name on it and it still costs $3,000 or more to get. I see no difference between that and some guy down the street making me a guitar.

So here are my thoughts and it doesn't just apply to Fender but any of the major brands.

1) A Warmoth build at under $1,000 get's me a guitar I can totally make myself that will sound like I want but is still that kit car Lamborghini where I know I am not driving or in this case playing the real thing. I know this guitar may actually sound as good as an authentic Fender whereas the kit car is all about show, but there is still something missing. But I would not spend $2,000 on materials and build it myself. Go Mod Shop for a fender and change the pickups out if you want something Fender doesn't offer.

2) An off the rack genuine Fender/Gibson/Charvel/Jackson/Ibanez or whatever is a solid purchase, "if you get a good one." It needs to have a nice finish with no obvious flaws and sound great as well. I think most of the guitars made in the USA or Mexico are really pretty good in this regard.

3) A mod shop Strat has the most value to me as I get a somewhat custom guitar without having to pay big bucks for a custom shop model and it is still an authentic Fender product.

4) A full on custom shop comes down to the look and componentry of the guitar as opposed to strictly tone. I place a value on that as well but I am really hitting my head against the wall of my orange custom strat as it was built with vintage noiseless pickups as opposed to 4th generation. At the time I was going for the tone of an Elite Strat but with the color and neck I wanted. It should have been a home run. Why Fender defaulted to vintage instead of clarifying with me is kind of upsetting but at the same time, is water under the bridge. But it took a year to get and cost big money so I doubt I will do that again. A six month wait is fine but 11 months and 27 days was a little too long. And because I got into music at the age of 48, I didn't really have time to spend five years figuring out every detail of a custom guitar; I had to make my move a little bit premature.

Way too long a post, sorry for that and I have more to write.

I think many of us go through stages in life for any hobby and we treat them the same regardless of what they are. A younger guy with no money will say, "I don't give a **** what the guitar looks like I only care about tone." That same guy would say, "I don't care about how the motorcycle looks, I only care about lap times." He'll think he has that one final answer but ask him again in five years and he'll have a new answer that he thinks will be his answer for all time. "I can make any guitar sound great, but it needs to have the right feel in the hands." This is very different than his comment from five years earlier. The same moto guy will now say, "Screw the lap times, I can ride really well and get a sporty bike around the track way better than some poser on a sport bike who cannot ride properly. I only care about the ride itself an the bike has to have the right feel to it."

The point is that I no longer look for or try to offer someone that final piece of advice on which guitar to buy, which motorcycle to purchase, which latest and greatest tropical destination is ideal, and thousands of others. What we value in life will change as out perspective changes. Start with one guitar when that is all you can afford and when you strat making bigger money your collection will grow. Then you downsize. Then you go custom shop. Then you build your own. Then you say you won't buy another guitar, Fender or otherwise. Then two years later you go into a GC and catch that bug all over again and the cycle repeats except this time you really know what you want; until you change your mind again but by now you have figured the game out. But the only definitive answer I have as to spending money on anything other than the items necessary to sustain life is that it will be different tomorrow than today.

So while the thought that some of you will never buy another new guitar can terrify me as I will suddenly think that guitars aren't worth it anymore, I know that many of you will change your mind as tastes and priorities shift. I just hope that new Charvel Custom Shop I signed off on yesterday shows up before arthritis locks my hands for good LOL.

NC

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Neil.C, _MS_ and Ruscio like this.
  16. davidKOS

davidKOS playing, teaching, recording Strat-Talk Supporter

Frankly what I want from Fender is less of "innovation" and more of making the various models that have been classics for decades.

17. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Fair enough. I'm all for that option if they'd be honest about it, embracing the fact that they produce mid-20th century guitars. These are fantastic, or at least can be if built well.

On the other hand, if Fender wants to claim that they're being revolutionary, they should offer something that backs that up. Based on all the thoughtful replies in this thread, I'm thinking they should just avoid this minefield altogether. There are plenty of other brands introducing great new innovations for those of us who want them, and clearly Fender loyalists don't. That's fine.

duzie, abnormaltoy and davidKOS like this.
  18. davidKOS

davidKOS playing, teaching, recording Strat-Talk Supporter

Just out of curiousity, what is revolutionary these days in guitar design?

We've had the Parker, the Gittler, the headless guitars, superstrats, MIDI guitars, ergonomic guitars, etc.

What are you looking for new?

Andrew Wasson and abnormaltoy like this.
  19. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Amen.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  20. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I can comfortably say I'll never buy another Fender. I've tried too many, and found none I like or excite me with new features to be interesting.

If I had the money, my next two guitars would be a Strandberg and an Eastman 59.

abnormaltoy and Ruscio like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.