Anyone else experiencing issues with Fender Consumer Relations?

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Sounds like they didn't lay off the right 200 people.

Or maybe they did, and those remaining are working through the mess that was handed to them.
We'll see. A last ditch attempt was submitting a timeline of the entire dreary event through the form on their website, which got me an email from an individual with an actual personal email and phone number in his signature, as opposed to the generic CR email/phone.

Spoke with him and he's gonna hook me up, but no reason for it to be so difficult to get a simple answer.

His explanation jibes with Ron's instinct's that they're swamped with stuff, but the real issue is people who don't bother to read what people write. If the initial guy had it would have been a one email affair.

But that's what you get with generation twatter...no one can hold more than 240 characters in their head at one time without pushing something else out.

They really could use a decent web designer/IT guy. A lot of the dopey stuff they answer is because the info on their website is either incomplete or difficult to locate. A few bucks thrown at a good IT guy would cut CR's workload in half.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
My '17 American Special included a COA, but the "case candy" (bag candy?) was limited to the tremolo arm, truss rod wrench, the warranty card, and a bumper sticker.

I don't think they have included a strap on most production models in 20 years.
Yeah..I wasn't sitting still all that time. I got the service diagram, picked up a bag of each of the wrenches just to have around and ordered, and received, the trem arm while waiting.

I have a few of the generic owner's manuals, but I generally print a copy of the service manual and put it in the case for every Fender I get. Much more useful to a buyer to have all the parts numbers, control setup, etc.

Mainly I just wanted to know if there was a strap and/or other stuff since it was a limited edition, so that I could find replacements to make it whole.
yeah for many years there was a triumvirate of owners that held an interest in the Corporation.. one of the 3 recently acquired controlling interest.... I don't know how recently...
good to know thanks.

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
I purchased a guitar about a year ago from a large chain...when it arrived, the COA was not in the case....oh yeah and the case wasn't the correct case....oh well....calling the store was like talking to my dog....a lot of hems and haws and no one knew what had happened....since I got a great deal on the guitar, I went to Fender CS....

Sent an email explaining what I was looking for....got a response in about a week asking for pics of the guitar along with the serial number, etc....

Another week goes by and another response stating that they will take care of it, but they were extremely backed up and it could take some time...no biggie, just happy to have the ball rolling....

About a month later, I received another email stating that the package was in the mail....and it was....no charge, and this included the correct hard case.

I couldn't have been happier...though it did take a couple of months to straighten out...

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
This is the new world order, but its not only Fender but mostly the big corporations, smaller single owner businesses seem to care more about customer service and satisfaction
That's why a local will get my business over a big box or online store every time if they have, or can get, what I want. Even if it costs a little more.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I
I purchased a guitar about a year ago from a large chain...when it arrived, the COA was not in the case....oh yeah and the case wasn't the correct case....oh well....calling the store was like talking to my dog....a lot of hems and haws and no one knew what had happened....since I got a great deal on the guitar, I went to Fender CS....

Sent an email explaining what I was looking for....got a response in about a week asking for pics of the guitar along with the serial number, etc....

Another week goes by and another response stating that they will take care of it, but they were extremely backed up and it could take some time...no biggie, just happy to have the ball rolling....

About a month later, I received another email stating that the package was in the mail....and it was....no charge, and this included the correct hard case.

I couldn't have been happier...though it did take a couple of months to straighten out...
I remember that. Hard to believe it was a whole year ago.

I would have been perfectly happy to get an email saying "I'm working on it", but they just left me hanging, and by the time a warm body told me he was working on it, I had little to no faith that the statement was based in anything but CS shuck and jive.

Complicated by the fact that all I asked for was information, if the guy had read and understood the thing in the first place. He didn't have to "work on" anything. This is routine stuff he should be able to spout off the top of his head or pull up on a computer relatively quickly. It's just annoying.

Life in an Idiocracy, I guess.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Maybe you'd have better luck contacting the retailer you bought it from?
My Les Paul was missing ALL of the case candy except for the warranty card and inspection sign-off (which is the only COA the standard US models get)
I didn't realize until later what it was supposed to come with, contacted the store (I bought it off the wall) and they said they'd look for it.
Meanwhile, I contacted Gibson, emailed them copies of my receipt and the inspection certificate.
A week later, they FedEx'd an entire set of case candy.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
I've been building guitars for almost as long as Fender.. and while they have built a few more than I, I can tell ya.. there are days when I get absolutely nothing done except simply answering queries...

it doesn't matter if it's as mundane as "what's the vintage nut width" or as thought provoking as "How much to install 3 SD HB in my Strat and make the switching so I can have the Bridge on all positions, have phase reversal and coil taping on all three, and, and, and.. oh and can ya put a preamp in too?" To the guy asking the question they're both of equal importance..

You also get guys that want a Warranty Repair for sticking a screwdriver through a pickup with me paying shipping both ways, or because the neck broke when they got drunk during a set and fell with the guitar from a 6 foot high stage.... or because the ubiquitous cracks appear at the neck pocket after they played all day in the Florida August heat, then that night in a 67 degree refrigerated Ball room for a wedding reception... all kinda and any kinda stuff can surprise ya on any given day...

I cannot imagine what it's like to man the Customer Support phones at Fender... Holy Mooooly... it must take s a special kind of patience to deal with all comers..

and now... surprise, there's a new Corp at the helm of FMIC.... and ya weren't expecting changes???
Here, here. :thumb: I deal with stuff like this every day as well.

Some days no matter how much leeway you give people some will always want more than I'm able to give and when you explain that to them they won't take no for an answer.

It can make for a very frustrating day when you're held accountable for your time with each and every contact you receive so you can help the next guy in line.

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
Why didn't you start with a phone call? I call those guys at least once a week and get a human every time. I never understood sending an email when you can just pick up the phone.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
I purchased a 2022 AmPro that came without the COA and case candy. Emailed Consumer Relations asking what I had to do to replace same and waited 6 days for a response from an agent., which didn't answer the question but requested the serial number.

After 4 days with no acknowledgement, emailed the same information to the agent once again.

After another week with no response, sent a follow up email tp the agent asking to have my request at least acknowledged.

Another 4 days go by and still no response.

During this time, I called the Consumer Relations number no less than 4 times, giving up after being on hold 20-30 minutes each time. Today, after about 45 minutes I finally got a warm body on the phone.

Her answer? Oh, he's working on it (keep in mind all I asked him as what was included and what I needed to do) and I'll send him an email telling him to reach out as soon as he has some information.

In other words, all that effort and finally speaking to someone accomplished absolutely nothing at all.

This has not been typical of my experience with Fender CS before but frankly it seems that, like everything else, that as prices go up, the level of service goes down.

Anyone else run into this kind of piss-poor service from Fender lately? I'm just wondering if this is the "new normal".
Sorry to hear this. I had a lengthy process with my amp but I had no complaints with Fender Consumer Relations... issue was all on the repair shop. I was dealing with Angela and she was awesome.

I guess I got lucky.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Why didn't you start with a phone call? I call those guys at least once a week and get a human every time. I never understood sending an email when you can just pick up the phone.
That's my preferred MO too, and I did just that. And it's usually the first thing I do.

It was the first of 4 separate times and every one of them involved 20-30 minutes on hold. Once I got that tinny hold music version of Blue on Black coming around for the third time I usually just hung up as I have other stuff to do.

The only reason I went with the email route was I was just seeking info and Fender has made it clear they'd rather have it done that was.

The issue was once I got a response asking for my serial number, even though it was irrelevant to my original general info request, I thought we were engaged. Then the guy dropped off the face of the earth.

Most likely just skimmed my email, made an assumption, send me some canned question to throw the ball in to my court (I know all about using this technique from my legal training) and then put me back in some interminable queue.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Sorry to hear this. I had a lengthy process with my amp but I had no complaints with Fender Consumer Relations... issue was all on the repair shop. I was dealing with Angela and she was awesome.

I guess I got lucky.
Yeah..I finally spoke to Nathan and, while at certain times he quoted some incorrect specs/info or used terminology wrong at least he was interested in addressing the issue. That's all I need. I'm not looking for genius. Just someone who listens to the question and is interested in find an answer.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
Yeah..I finally spoke to Nathan and, while at certain times he quoted some incorrect specs/info or used terminology wrong at least he was interested in addressing the issue. That's all I need. I'm not looking for genius. Just someone who listens to the question and is interested in find an answer.
I think he's the guy that referred me to the shop who's authorized service status had lapsed.

tery

Dr. Stratster
Jul 31, 2014
Tennessee
I call Fender customer service on the telephone; they are always happy that I called and treat me right even when I'm wrong.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
the problem with far too many Customer Service call lines is, the person on the other end, should ya ever get lucky enough to get through to a real, live person. That person is usually some "kid" that knows virtually nothing about whatever he is supposed to be offering service for, and couldn't find their butt with a search warrant. They use a computer, searching your question, then reading the answer.... If it's not appearing on the screen.. we're outta luck. Try telling them to stop reading and talk to ya...

That is further exacerbated by putting someone on a phone line dealing with a public, who's first language is English, when they can barely speak it.

Now I have nothing but admiration for those that come to the US and make a concerted effort to learn the domestic language, but just Daymmmmnn.. a business putting those guys on a phone dealing with the public is a bit of a stretch, you would think HR could find another position where, while they are learning the language, they can enjoy a fruitful job. And a computer answering system, coupled with people that have such a difficult time speaking the domestic language is the manufacturer telling ya that they just don't give a crap about the customer, and really would like ya to hang up now..
Or....

They could just get a good IT guy and make all information accessible via a decent website/database and save everyone aggravation and themselves money. But until they let me rule the world.....

They can just all get the hell off my lawn!!!!!! 🤣

Sometimes I feel.....

Stone

Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
My first guitar i ever Owned was a 2019 player series which was riddled with problems I always dealt with the Store but at some point they told me to call Fender which I did and they really could not care less about issues i had
So fu.ck it i said sold it and will never buy another fender product again
YMMV

Lateralu_s

Strat-Talker
Dec 22, 2021
Spiraling
Like in any work environment there are people that will go out of their way to do their job to the best of their abilities and some that just go for a paycheck.

Sucks you are having a run around issue with CSR. I deal with fender a bit and i've always had good experiences with them.

Now let me tell you about Wells Fargo Bank 😞😞 lol

Last edited:

Latest posts