Anyone Else Falling Out of Love with Facebook?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by tanta07, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-Talker Silver Member

I used to have it, then clicked on someone's dog picture and it hacked my account. Dumped it after that. Don't miss it.

Linkedin is about to get deleted next.

Living in the past is taxing on the mind.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  2. mjea80

mjea80 Lost In The Light Silver Member

Fell out of love with you Facebook over 5 years ago..

You won’t miss it!

marabino and Paperback Rocker like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I think Facebook is useful if you have a group where people have a specific mutual interest. For instance, I'm a member of a group that organises local blues jams... well it did, before COVID hit. An off-shoot of that is a local market for used band gear.

However, I totally agree that not everyone who asks to be your 'friend' was ever necessarily a friend. I had a request from a former boss, who seems to have missed the fact that I left because I thought he was a complete bluffer. :confused:

EDIT: It was, sadly, also the only way someone who I'd lost touch with over the years was able to tell me that a former bandmate had passed away. That was pretty depressing, because it turned out that almost everyone who was in the band was now either dead or seriously ill.

Stonetone and montemerrick like this.
  4. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

it's one of the primary means i have for reaching people regarding our nonprofit, so not going anywhere yet, but otherwise, yes to everything you say here.

i mean, i dont have political bickering as a problem on facebook, because i cultivate a bubble that keeps that out... most of the pople i interact with share the same commitments (wildlife, soulful music, conservation, treating the earth as if she is alive) or they're my grandkids, or my daughter, or people who like the work we do... so you know, when something is algorithm based, you do find out where your interests lie - or at least what youve been shopping for lately, or talking about with friends privately even....

T Bone Slort likes this.
  5. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Facebook is very simply, a steaming pile of putrid, shyte.

6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Never did have any lover for that nasty ol' hoowah.....

Deathray likes this.
  7. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

If it works for you, I'm genuinely happy for you that it does. For me, photoflurries don't do much. I'm a little maladroit in the social arena, though, so you're likely the better judge.

8. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I shared exactly the same feelings; closed my account about 2 months ago. I don't miss it. There's nothing there that I can't find in other places with more quality and more control. I don't really want to keep FB just because there's little Johnny from 5th grade and other annoyances there.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  9. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

It somewhat disturbs me how fast the years are racking up – I left Facebook 11 years ago, but it feels like yesterday. You know what else has started to remind me how fast time moves? YouTube videos! Seeing comments posted TWELVE years ago... – Jesus!!!

But... to summarise my thoughts on Facebook, I would say – Facebook bad!

T Bone Slort likes this.
  10. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

I was a pretty heavy user when I had my speed shop business but when I closed shop I also made a big reset in my life and got off all social media. That was 2013. I have never looked back. Some people can use it lightly and enjoy the positive, some cannot. I am the latter. I slowly let it consume me. It can really suck the energy out of you. The moment I realized that no one gives a **** about you or your life, the easier my life became.

Baelzebub, rafasounds and tanta07 like this.
  11. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

A friend of mine's sister met her boyfriend on facebook. She didn't find it problematic that she was already married, so I guess you could describe Facebook - if you wanted to be very generous about it - as "freeing."

Hers is not, I think, an unusual circumstance. Facebook is a great boon to geriatric promiscuity, it seems. And isn''t that just fabulous for today's cutting-edge, forward-thinking seniors??

12. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

Facebook is an abomination! Never have been a part of it, never will.

TP

13. grumpah

grumpah Strat-Talk Member

+1

Cerb likes this.
  14. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

In my brief time on Facebook, I found using it to be mostly like playing whack-a-mole in a field littered with land mines.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  15. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

never had an account

Baelzebub likes this.
  16. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

I opted to stay off after X-Mas...Life is good!

Baelzebub likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I was never daft enough to sign up.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  18. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I joined fb about ten years ago, strictly as a business thing, and it works well for me in that regard. I don't seem to have as much of a problem with arguments breaking out, but maybe my "friends" are kind of self selecting for being less combatative.

It has its flaws for sure, but it's still the only social media platform which in my experience engenders real conversation and back and forth discussion. If you want to see the real dregs of the world of online discourse, you just need to take one look at Twitter! (I'm on there too.)

Deafsoundguy and montemerrick like this.
  19. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Brief glances to keep up with out of state relatives. Otherwise I don't care to see a picture of someone's sandwich they are about to eat.

20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I find it surprising to hear when someone is the only person they know (in their age group) who uses Facebook. Many of my friends & family use Facebook; I wouldn't be using it if I didn't know anyone else to share stuff with.

I find Facebook and WhatsApp are significantly different types of communication, though they do share some similar capabilities.

As someone who has recently had to look for a job, I've found LinkedIn to be an important part of my job search.. I applied to many job postings I found there and was in contact with job recruiters who contacted me there (or who I contacted through LinkedIn). For job searching, at least, LinkedIn seems like a very valuable resource.

It's not just photos; many people I see there post updates in the form of a text posting. And that's one reason I find it hard to switch away from Facebook to something like Instagram - Instagram is something that only lets you post photos.. I don't just want to share photos with people though.

BuddyHollywood and Bob Spumoni like this.