Anyone Else Falling Out of Love with Facebook?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by tanta07, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Falstaff50

Falstaff50 Strat-Talk Member

I have a private account that I made so as to keep up with family only. If I go there twice a month, it's a lot. Other than guitar and audio forums, I don't really do social media. I am uncomfortable having to much personal information "out there". Never understood people who put their entire lives online.

2. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-O-Master

My one sister lives on the other side of the planet & many of my friends are spread out too. On one hand it's nice to check in & see what people are up to, but on the other hand when you can see what they're up to you're less likely to call & ask.

Facebook during this pandemic time has shown me I have a few friends that I didn't know were conspiracy theorists. I was raised by one of those & have very little tolerance for it. Now there are a handful of people I keep at a distance & part of me wishes I could unlearn that truth.

Stratbats likes this.
  3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I still use it to keep up with a few friends. But I refuse to do politics there. Period. I have never deleted anyone over them but I did stop following a couple friends since thats all they ever seem to post

4. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

I've been on Facebook something like 15 years minus the 2 yrs I had my account disabled.

I've been sick of it since around 2014, when, I shut my account down for the next 2 yrs.

Today, I use it for guitar groups that don't allow politics to be discussed and that's it. I used to post pictures of my daughter but then she passed away in 2014 and I saw just how self-indulged everyone was. So much so that even my "best friends" couldn't be bothered to send condolences, reply to my messages, or show up at her funeral.

So I stopped giving a fk about them. I don't call and check in with any of them anymore. I don't post on their walls. I don't go by their houses. Fk em. If they can't be bothered to show up, I won't bother to spend my time keeping in touch. So Facebook lost all its usefulness to me after that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Stratbats likes this.
  5. Wound_Up

I refuse to do politics anywhere. Facebook, Twitter, the car forums I follow that are so ate up with it that every subforum has political posts even though there's a specific political section, nowhere.

I'm not a wannabe Jr politician so I don't act like those idiots. I don't follow all the conspiracies. I don't get angry over fake stories written on illegitimate "news" websites made up by some random guy. I really don't get the people that are like that, either.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

That's where I go to get my
    Kitten
    Puppy
    Video fixes

Antmax, Stratbats and Stratoman10 like this.
  7. Wound_Up

The most I ever did was post pictures of my daughter. Now I post links to music on YouTube and Allman Brothers stuff and that's it. Every so often when I'm having a hard time dealing with my daughter's death, I'll post a pic or 2 but that's it. Usually it's around this time of night/early morning. This is about when I found out she was gone. So Ive had trouble sleeping ever since. 6 yrs 6 months and 14 days of sleeping only 2 or 3 hrs/night really starts taking its toll after a while.

You could call my acct private. Anyone other than my friends that looks at it sees absolutely nothing. Not a single post on my wall because NOTHING I've posted is public. Ever. They see my name, the area where I live, my avatar and that's about it. You wouldn't believe how many idiots think I'm some fake Russian acct because they don't see anything on my wall so they assume my acct is blank.

Stratbats and Falstaff50 like this.
  8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

The TBD Network has a lot of those too. They carry a lot of stuff that looks like they get from YouTube. Lots of Fail Army content as well. Which always makes me happy that no matter what I do I can't be that clueless

CephasG likes this.
  9. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I was never in love with Facebook. I used it to help promote the band, that is all.

10. Nickjwill

Nickjwill Strat-Talk Member

I joined in 2010 only to find it juvenile and shallow and promptly quit. In 2012 I found out a a friend who at between the ages of 13 & 22 we were inseparable had died....a year earlier...of MERS that he caught while in the hospital. I had moved from Minnesota to Florida in 2001 and apparently some people tried to notify me but couldn’t. Missing his funeral really hurt. Had I stuck it out on Facebook I would have gotten a heads up. I’m still on it and will be for the foreseeable future. Just like with anything else, you swallow the meat and spit out the bones.

11. runningonempty

runningonempty Strat-Talker

i wasn’t active on my fb account for a very long time and i finally deleted it a few months back. don’t miss it one bit. you can delete your account but still retain messenger in case there’s someone you communicate with thru that.

12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I quit 5 or 6 years ago.

I realized that I would get on FB in a good mood and log off in a bad mood.

It's like choosing to take part in a traffic jam.

Stonetone, Deafsoundguy, Mr C and 4 others like this.
  13. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

I stopped using it 10 years ago. It's a toxic waste dump period.

14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I have liked a handful of quotes on FB... that's it. I have a FB account, but I don't really use it.

15. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

I still use it, but I never post anything there any more.

What killed it (in terms of me actually posting as opposed to being read-only) was my extended family “friending” me.

Except they don’t really know me, so I thought that every time I posted some sarcastic or deliberately off-colour comment on a friend’s feed (that would be understood by the target, but not necessarily by a random family member) I was worried what people might think.

I know you *can* futz around with settings to control who sees what, by frankly life’s too short.

FB is read-only for me now.

16. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I think there are some good uses for it that I hear about. I've never signed up for it and probably never will. Seems to me there's more negativity than anything. My wife has shown me posts that people have made and it's absolutely crazy how such personal things will be shared strangers! If I walked up to someone on the street and told them some random personal thing,they would think I as crazy but apparently that's OK to do on Facebook.

17. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

I have a Facebook account. I have not posted anything in many years. Never had an issue with any restrictions but I'm just not interested in most of what people post. Don't really care what they made for dinner etc. When I get an alert about a post and go check it most often it's a waste of time.

18. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone

that’s what I use it for mainly. Very good for local buy and sell.
    But everything else? Meh. If it wasn’t for having people I want to keep in touch with I would’ve sacked it in years ago.

Cerb likes this.
  19. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

20. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

Facebook reminds me of this:

“Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”