Anyone else in the tinnitus club?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratafied, Aug 7, 2021.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

Right now it sounds as if I've left several Marshall stacks on, but with nothing plugged into them. I used to get it mostly in the evenings but now it's close to constant. Where did I go wrong?
    • Operating a pneumatic hammer without ear protectors on the basis "it's too hot"
    • Going to too many loud gigs
    • Playing at too many loud gigs and rehearsals
    • Demonstrating live sound rigs

Thrup'ny Bit and Andrew Wasson like this.
  2. tubedude

tubedude Strat-Talker

M-60 range without earplugs. 1974. Still ringing today.

Bowmap likes this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Yep, I'm in. Been 11 years, from pretty invasive surgery of my right ear.
    We get along reasonably well. When I'm very tired or nervous is when it can be nerves-shattering. I find masking nature sounds help to go to sleep.

4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Yep. It varies from moderate to severe at times. All various high frequencies that clash. Sometimes I hear clicking sounds.

It masks ambient sounds over 8 KHz or so.

I have the one functional ear; me left ear has been stone deaf since birth.

StratUp likes this.
  5. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

I have it but it is improving. I found a technique from Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube that does help.

6. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

I knew someone must be talking about me because my ears were ringing.

Stratafied likes this.
  7. ibdrkn1

Well, that's one louder..... isn't it?

8. ibdrkn1

I definately have tinnitus but don't really know how bad it is due to there being a couple contributing factors.

I've been playing guitar loudly for 30 years and I've also been working in an automotive stamping plant for for over 20 years so there's no question I have it.

On top of that I have some kind of chronic sinus condition that also contributes by putting pressure on the "ear guts" and is not a constant level of ringing.

The audiologist says I have significant hearing loss in range where you'd find the voices most women and children. I have that on paper.

Jesse414 likes this.
  9. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

10. yoreel

yoreel Strat-Talk Member

Yes, had it for many years now, my current band made it worse, a bass heavy reggae band with a 4k watt PA rig, we were playing 120 plus gigs per year at one point, still do between 80-100, I should have used ear plugs, but paid the price - irreversible damage !

11. Buzzhead59

Buzzhead59 Strat-Talk Member

Was under an F-14 Tomcat with engines running on the flight deck while in the Navy and my cranial (protective head gear) got yanked off by a probe under the aircraft. The sound of the engines was so loud it dropped me to my knees while I grabbed my cranial and got it put back on my head. Ever since I have a very loud F-14 engine screaming in my head!

Monkey and StratUp like this.
  12. mcmike27

mcmike27 Strat-Talk Member

Constant ringing....both ears most days its a 4-6 on the volume knob but today its '11' ughhhh has been worse since college when we saw the WHO back to back nights and were right next to the stage right speaker stacks...and then a few years back at a AC/DC concert at the old Spectrum in Philly ... I couldn't hear properly for 2 days....what's the old saying if it's too loud your too old... OH MY what did you say...... LOL

13. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

Jeff Beck has it.

Stratafied likes this.
  14. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Since mid eighties Tod Rungren. It was so loud my eyeballs vibrated in my skull.
    BTW they were beyond horrible.

Stratafied likes this.
  15. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

Yup. It sucks. Don;t know why some people feel as though they have to play so loud. IMHO dynamics is much more interesting to listen to then people just playing as loud as they can.

StratUp and Stratafied like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

I thought everyone has it in my age group?

Stratafied likes this.
  17. batchld75

batchld75 Strat-Talk Member

Luckily I heard about the condition early on, and took precautions, both at work in different loud factories, and blasting music extremely loud. I sometimes have a steady ringing, not as bad as some of your postings describe. I don't know how much is age, or the loud noises that were around me when I was younger. Earplugs are cheap, but you have to use them.

Stratafied likes this.
  18. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Strat-Talk Member

VH1 sponsored John Lee Hooker performance, as a later act during a summer music festival. The sound guy seemed to crank the PA on purpose and Hooker's keyboard player, a young women, cried out in pain as it must've been worse through the monitors. I saw other acts at this tent (John Martin, Billy Bragg) which were kinda loud, but not FU loud.

19. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

I have tinnitus, but only really notice it if I'm in the house alone, reading or whatever. sounds like a kind of "twittering" sound in my ears. Only way I can describe it.
    Years of working in factories, playing loud music and going to gigs has taken its toll I reckon.
    Thinking of getting some decent musicians earplugs for when I jam with mates. It can get loud sometimes. Never tried any, and often wondered whether they really are any good. Do they muffle the sound of what you're hearing, or just attenuate it? Or is it too late? Is the damage already done?
    I'm 56, by the way, so maybe its just my hearing naturally degrading ? I always wore hearing protection at work, but not so when playing or going to gigs.

20. clivewil

clivewil New Member!

i have a bunch of old aircraft documentaries for that. the monotone narration combined with engines droning plus the fact that i've heard them all before so i'm not going to miss anything if i doze off.

the way i describe my tinny to others: imagine 15 people near your left ear, each one spinning around while spraying an aerosol can. then add another 15 people doing the same thing in your right ear.

the constant swirling in the stereo field makes life interesting, and also that a lot of a sound's info is contained in the high end, e.g. was that noise a light knock on my door? or did someone drop a heavy box in the next room? or was it a car smash a block away?

if 0% is threshold of hearing, and 100% is threshold of pain, my tinny is often around the 80% - 95% mark, so i tend to not go out much if i can help it...

showering is interesting, the splatting of the water hitting the tiles combining with the tinnitus creates occasional subharmonics in the same audio band as a human voice, i.e. it sounds like someone muttering in the room next door, which is very disconcerting if you live alone in a high-crime area. it took a long time to get used to that.

the suspected cause - middle of winter, my GF and her friend came to pick me up from a late gig in a car with barely any petrol in it, and naturally it ran out. it was 2am and i only had a t-shirt on, but i had to go running around trying to find a petrol station (this is in the late '80s, before mobile phones, before 24-hour petrol stations. there would be 5 stations on roster serving the entire city, and they were different ones every week) - after an hour of running/jogging in freezing cold, my ears started to hurt intensely but i had to keep going as there were two women in a dead car relying on me to find petrol. the tinnitus started soon after that - it began as my heartbeat sounding really loud, and over a few years gradually morphed into swirling top-end hiss.

Pandamasque and Bob Spumoni like this.