Anyone Else Over Andertons & Danish Pete? How Many Freebies Are Enough?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stylemessiah, Jun 25, 2021.

1. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

There was time, after Rob Chapman started to become less involved in Andertons videos, that i thought, i can settle in now...

But recently i found myself hovering over the unsubscribe button and today ive decided to pound the thing

And heres why

And maybe im not alone

But theres only so many times you can watch someone such as Danish Pete get free gear from manufacturers, purple or otherwise. It was funny perhaps the first 2 times people sent him purple gear. But then it got slowly tiresome and left at leats me feeling played as manufacturers learned a quick backdoor to product placement and started to treat viewers like chumps.....and it started to feel like Andertons did as well

What further grinds my gears, is that n a year when people have struggled and hundreds of thousands have died, there seems to be no sensitivity of people like Pete, and to be fair other Guitar based Youtubers fitting out their music rooms with vendor gear, while the rest of us struggle just to get by in the worst year in living memory.

Surely some sensitivity to this should be warranted and displayed by those folks.

Andertons grew to be the most successful of its type of Youtube channels because of levity and fun. But this year its become arguably commercial above all else as we all know music gear has been flying off the shelves.

Its sad to say , but its become almost a pastiche of itself.

Today i press unsubscribe....if i want to buy gear, i will hunt down the manufacturers own media from now on, and perhaps watch a wider variety of reviewers who have probably gone unnoticed and are more deserving of my time and subscription

How many purple guitars, amps and pedals will it take to offend you or make you feel played?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    little_wing142 and Danny D like this.
  2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

I never did subscribe. Although some good gear reviews given by some knowledgeable and likeable personalities, gotta remember, this stuff is all just infomercials. Andertons vids are a lot better than the average schlock, and Lee seems like a great guy, but I don’t feel any deep calling to leave my wife and camp out in his garage, (sorry Lee).

Wound_Up, fos1, Elvie and 2 others like this.
  3. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds like you were a little too invested in it in the first place. It’s a fun channel. Take it or leave it.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

It's advertising pure and simple. Why would you get upset about it more than a Vegemite ad shown over and over again on TV?

Karol, Nate D, Cerb and 11 others like this.
  5. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

Exactly.

Their goal is to promote and sell products, and I think they’ve done well in creating a channel to do so.

And if companies want to send Pete purple stuff than good for him. He’s earned it probably more than Rick Beato earned a signature Gibson.

skypeace, Ace38, henge and 8 others like this.
  6. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Any one posting on strat talk about the trials and tribulations of anything remotely guitar based is among the most privileged people on the world and so forth really doesn’t have a
    Dog in the hunt on how people on you tube make a living. Pete Honore sells guitars for his boss and any one who believes it’s more than that -well I have a bridge to sell you!

Karol, skypeace, Ace38 and 6 others like this.
  7. Twin

Twin Strat-Talker

I enjoy most of the demos. If you don't then don’t watch… it’s like a radio or TV channel, you can change it if you don’t like what’s playing. Or turn it off.

8. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

I dont understand why you have to hold Andertons to some high standard that we dont hold anybody else for that matter.....i dont see any extra..sensitivity by other companies but maybe iam wrong.....the main point is that the driving force behind all this was Rob Chapman....he is a nice player and a funny dude when he wants to,along with a very good guitar teacher(in the days before the andertons collab)...that why people liked him and followed him basically when the andertons thing happen.

Now that he is gone the whole thing doesnt have the same appeal but to be honest nowadays the Chapman of today isnt the chapman of earlier years so....hey...it was decent entertainment while it lasted....

Slyy and RaySachs like this.
  9. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

I don’t get this at all. You struggle, therefor everyone else should struggle?

10. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I’ve never been INTO any YouTube personalities enough to ever get this worked up about any of them. I’ve never subscribed to any commercial you tubers - just a few (non-com) people I’ve gotten to know a little - no commercial sites. Pete is one of my favorite players on YouTube, so when he / they pop up talking about a piece of gear I’m interested in, I’ll usually check it out. But that comes up in searches - I’ve never subscribed. I enjoy some of it but take all of it with a grain of salt - they’re doing it to try to sell stuff, after all.

-Ray

Nate D, Neil.C, Ebidis and 1 other person like this.
  11. stylemessiah

I genuinely like Lee, he seems a fairly straight shooter, and ive enjoyed watching his musical journey.

12. stylemessiah

Am i worked up?, funny i was sure i was just sharing an opinion :)

dbb541 likes this.
  13. stylemessiah

Im suggesting a touch of humanity isnt a bad thing...if you disgree, then it says more about you methinks...

dbb541 likes this.
  14. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it’s an opinion and you’re obviously entitled to it, but you sound pretty worked up about it, saying things like, ‘and what further grinds my gears’. I don’t have a problem with you expressing your opinion. I’m just stating my own opinion or position or whatever - I’ve never been all that concerned, positively or negatively, about a YouTube seller as you SEEM TO ME to be.

-Ray

WhiteWabbit, Neil.C, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster

I personally prefer Danish Pete to the dude with the long hair...and I like their comparisons (and generally check them when researching to buy). Andertons had a Blackstar item I needed and couldn't find anywhere stateside...shipped it promptly. I guess I haven't seen/noticed the influx of free purple stuff...but I do not subscribe.

jvin248 likes this.
  16. stylemessiah

Im sitting here with a normal resting heartrate, sipping a coffee relaxing, sharing a simple opinion...

I dont get why theres always someone in a forum who wants to take things to a personal level when the post was just an opinion....you spent all your time and post talking about me...please stop doing it

dbb541 likes this.
  17. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Can’t stand Andertons on YouTube although I’ve bought from them on occasion and always found them good for service. I had to once remind them of my consumer rights though, in relation to a faulty item. They caved straight away.

the thing that annoys me about their videos and why I choose not to watch them though is that they always seem overly long. I guess I want a short demo, not a 30minute episode. Seems to work for others though, and much kudos to them for creating the content. It’s just not for me.

There’s another music shop (PMT I think) who has some guy called Dayman? reviewing for them? (It’s been a while so I may have got both wrong) but those videos nail it for me - quick but thorough and to the point.

edit: Dagan, yes from PMT

dbb541 and SalvorHardin like this.
  18. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I'm more or less with you on all counts... I don't mind the whole advertising aspect though, if anything I appreciate the *shameless* obviousness in which they try and sell you sh*t – but I think if you look close enough – you'll see (I could be wrong here) it appears Pete is also beginning to get a bit on Lee's nerves too, so... it's not just you or I! Now... I don't dislike Pete per se, he's not a bad lad – it's just... let's just say you can't – to use the modern vernacular – 'vibe' with everybody, and that's how I personally see things here – and... that's OK.

I do like Lee though, underratedly funny man :thumb: .

stylemessiah likes this.
  19. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

It’s as simple as that.

Ebidis and Rudedawg like this.
  20. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

Personally I really like what they do. Yes it's based on the concept that they want to sell you stuff, but I think they give pretty fair opinions about everything and I don't believe that they would sell gear that they didn't think was half decent.

I saw an interview with Lee once where he said that the channel really took shape when they realised it was more entertainment, like Top Gear for guitars, and that's kind of how I view it. They make high quality demos of things in an entertaining way, plus a few challenges, and some great playing. I think it works well. If Pete gets some free stuff, good for him!

They seem like nice guys too, I've commented on a few instagram posts of Pete's before and whenever I've asked a question he always takes the time to reply.

YouTube in general is great for anyone with a hobby or interest, if we were all left with just TV there would be nothing for us to watch, we might all have to play our guitars!