Anyone ever built a Ruby amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Steelskin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

So I have all the parts together, i bought enough parts to build five amps for basically the price of buying the kit. Ive got lots of pics, and schmatics and a good plan. I was just curious if any of you folks have any experience with them, or pics of your finished amps.

2. wiryawan

wiryawan Senior Stratmaster

I built one few years ago, it sounds pretty cool actually but I don't use it for practice or anything because I can't find a good speaker during that time...It's a pretty cool DIY project if you're up for something fun.

3. SennaF1

SennaF1 Senior Stratmaster

No, but now i want too...

4. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Thats how I got bit! lol

So far so good, jsut got my board laid out and starting to connect the dots lol.
    Im using a shoebox as my enclousure till i know shes gonna be functional

5. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

I was kinda hopeing, cause i got so many parts, i could sell a few of them to my friends with kids that are jsut starting to play for like 20 bucks... gives me something to do, and gives the kids an amp that wont drive their parents nuts hahaha

6. RWood

RWood Strat-O-Master

I put them in 1290 and 1590 boxes. I put one in a necklace box that fit in my shirt pocket
    We do a quarterly gig at a drug rehab center where we play at a campfire ring in the woods with no power. I've wired up some AA battery packs in series for 12 volts, so all we bring are some 10" speakers.

The Ruby 1/2 watt can drive a 4x12 16ohm cabinet (which I played at church mic'd to the sound board)...sounded better than AC30 IMO.........no problem.
    The 1 watt darlington version is about 3db louder but I never seem to need it.
    Pretty cool for 15 bucks