Anyone ever experience a failure like this?

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
Anticipation to see a fudged up guitar is killing people I see.. LOL

I'd say sand some paint off in some area kick it around the parking lot and sale it as a relic for $4,000. Maybe it was a Pete Townsend guitar have someone write a letter? I kidd.

bsman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 4, 2014
Storage B
I smell something rotten, all right! ;)

internet-troll_460142_egyr3t.jpg

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Yes, it will be interesting to see pics.
There is something going on beyond the story.

Why would something be going on beyond the story? He said the wood seemed to be crumbling and rotted. That explains it perfectly. So what else could be going on? What sort of conspiracy could he be hiding?

It quite simply could be exactly what's been posted. Fender could've easily shaped that body and never ran into the rot. 3 years later, after enough stress and possibly more rotting, it broke. So, what else do you think there could be? He dropped it and isn't telling that part? It was cracked from something he previously did and it didn't just happen and he's hiding that part of the story? He did it on purpose and made up the story he's telling us? <shrug>

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
This happened less than 24 hours ago, but you can't take a picture so we can see? C'mon man! :)

(unless you've already ran it through a wood chipper and then burned the remains)

"I decided to deconstruct it more" comes off to me as "I did surgery and dug into the body/cut it up some more/whatever in an, attempt to diagnose this failure" so pics would be worthless by now. Unless you want to see remnants of his deconstruction?

Am I the only one that sees that he already deconstructed the guitar? That says all you need to know. It's not in the same broken state at this point. So the pics wouldn't tell you much unless he attempted to reconstruct it to the point when it failed.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I honestly didn’t think to take a picture of it when it happened, but I think I have a better idea of why. I decided to deconstruct it more since it was done anyway. The wood came apart way to easy. Crumbly. It also had a pretty earthy sorta smell. I’m not really an experienced woodworker, but I’m pretty sure that means wood rot. There were also darker areas of the wood where the cracks formed.

For a better descriptor since I didn’t take a picture, imagine the neck pocket seemingly collapsing in the rear. Separating more on the bass side than the treble. Also caused a large crack to form from that corner of the neck pocket to the bass side of the tremolo cavity. Damn near a straight line. And fairly light pressure on the horns caused a noticeable amount of movement.

Just got unlucky with bad wood I guess. I can get another one in decently short order. It’ll just be weird for a little bit. My other guitar is a RG1570. Way different animal.

You asked if anyone has experienced a very strange and unusual phenomenon. No way any one here can offer the slightest opinion as to why without seeing it. It's like "I was changing spark plugs in my car and went to make a sandwich and I heard this loud noise, all the car doors fell off". Well, pics can tell the story.

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
You asked if anyone has experienced a very strange and unusual phenomenon. No way any one here can offer the slightest opinion as to why without seeing it. It's like "I was changing spark plugs in my car and went to make a sandwich and I heard this loud noise, all the car doors fell off". Well, pics can tell the story.

What kind of sandwich?