Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone gigging their Eric Johnson Strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jacob95amstd, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

You're being very honest there Rob, and I respect you for that..

The blunt answer is though, if a guitar, or any musical instrument, doesn't get played, it just reverts to what it actually is.. an inanimate object. A thing!.. and we all own too many 'things' and become slaves to them..

Stripping away unused and unwanted possessions really does free you up as a person. Both physically and spiritually.. peace.. :thumb:

2. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

I completely agree with you, Will. I’ve been making a conscious effort over the years to reduce the amount of stuff in my life. Guitars are, however, exempt from this rule. :whistling:
    I do play all of them though. It’s just that the case queens don’t get played as often, as it takes a bit of time and effort to drag them out when I feel like playing, whereas my cheaper, beater guitars are lined up on my guitar rack ready to go.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  3. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Van life down by the river. The new American dream.

sgarnett and Will Lefeurve like this.
  4. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

Im on the « don’t take your priced guitars out » side... some people compare it to cars... I also have my Honda to go to work and do the average life tasks but that’s the Firebird that you’ll see me in on Saturdays evenings and when I hit the race track.

C46B8986-A1DB-43FD-8993-60D7A0397572.jpeg

So I took a 400$ MIM out and I enjoyed every aspects of my Fender deluxe 50th anniversary at home or when I was rehearsing and recording with the guys.

Dare1 likes this.
  5. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Call your insurance man, and make SURE your guitar is insured (some companies make you document items over $1500, or anything over 25 years old).

Then go out and play your best guitar!

If anyone comes up to you and says "Wow, is that a Fender XXXX??? That's an expensive axe!!!!" whisper to them "It's a fake. I got it from Alibababa for $179 shipped!".

They will say "It looks totally real!" and you reply "Yeah, I'd love to have a real one, but I've got 2 kids and an opiate habit to support...."

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Of course. But playing primarily in a gospell group now, I don't worry about the crowd so much.

7. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

I got one Strat.

It ain’t an EJ.

But if it was, it’d go everywhere with me just like this one.

Not much on a Strat that you can break that can’t be fixed / replaced.

rafasounds and Andrew Wasson like this.
  8. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Four thousand

Seven hundred

And ninety

Five

Dollars.

Wut

Andrew Wasson and Will Lefeurve like this.
  9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I gig my EJ Thinline, I gigged my EJ RW when I owned it. I gig my AO Original Tele (same price as an EJ new), I gig my Gibson ES 335 (more expensive than the EJ) and I gig both my Martins (both way more expensive than my EJ. Otherwise the guitar will get lonely, become very depressed and it will start a revolution that other guitars will join and before you know it we are ruled by neglected guitars and they are pissed!

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Steve Miller and his second guitarist play EJs onstage by order of Mr. Miller.

Textele likes this.
  11. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

If I had an EJ I'd gig it but that choice is yours. I won't bring my LPC to a pub jam. Different guitar, similar reasons.

The rest of my guitars (see signature) I have brought to jams without any hesitation.

Enjoying my Elite mainly now as it's got a really great neck (which is exactly why I bought it). The price to quality ratio works for me. It's a workhorse.

12. Becket

Becket New Member!

I know what u mean ,Just bought a new Black EJ strat ,I cant believe how flawless the finish is and what a fantastic guitar,,The solution is get another EJ Strat !!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. Becket

Becket New Member!

14. Becket

Becket New Member!

Since were discussing the EJ strat I was wondering if anyone adjusted the tremolo on their strat?,I mean I would just like to lift the whammy bar enough to just a one step flat note.would this be easy to do? A matter of just removing a couple springs on the back?would that do it or not ? Sorry if I hi jacked this thread ,Cheers!

15. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

What? Are you serious? That guitar shouldn't even be taken out of the case. In fact, it should be kept in a secure place. I offer just such a service, and all you need to do is cover the shipping to my location.

16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yes. That’s the first thing I did after playing it for an hour or so when I got it home. I’m now running it with 3 springs and floating. It’s pretty flawless but I like a Strat with a floating bridge.

The setup is easy. I used to go through an elaborate setup that could only be performed on a full moon, with the guitar facing magnetic north, etc... now I use the Frudua method that requires a pack of postit notes and maybe 5 minutes of time.

Here’s the Frudua video on doing a 2-point Strat tremolo. I use the same approach but with a 2-point I keep my tremolo plate raised and parallel with the body whereas with a 6-screw tremolo, I have it raised in the back about 3/16”. I also have the inside 4 screws raised about a quarter turn higher than the outside two screws so that there is less interference in the pivoting.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I play mine - I have enough strats that I rotate them so that they all get played - so it's not every week it gets played but about 1 gig a month.

Mine is a CAR, and I notice a bit of orange peel developing in the nitro, especially when it makes regular contact - under the forearm and the side of the neck pocket where my left hand makes contact playing in the upper register - not sure if that is normal for nitro - all my other strats are poly.

18. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I had to suffer too many drunk fools trying to play, touch, sweat on and drop beer on my guitars at obscure bar gigs to learn not to take an expensive or dear to me instrument out of the house except in situations that I know will be controlled beforehand, like better gigs at proper venues, recording sessions, etc. The average guy who attends a bar gig couldn't care less what your guitar is, he will try to get his hands on it anyway, possibly even steal it, or at best he'll try to play his alice in chains songs on it with his alcohol breath and sweaty hands, then give it back to you like it had been in a cesspool for a week. If you decline to let him play, you can get stabbed, shot or mob-lynched, at least where I live. I don't have an EJ Strat, only a couple of Japanese and Mexican Fenders, but they're dear to me. I'll only take the Squier Classic Vibe out of the house these days.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Ferpie likes this.
  19. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

We have played the same hellholes... I even had my stock on a backstage table once, went 5 minutes to take a piss came back the case was opened and the guitar was being passed around at a table full of Douches. Trying to get it back led to a little brawl that got them kicked out

rafasounds likes this.
  20. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Man, that's terrible. A table full of Douches passing your guitar around is a terrible sight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.