Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone gigging their Eric Johnson Strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jacob95amstd, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

I mean I understand when you’re playing fine theatres and arenas, but most gig I played resulted in a ding from the guitar falling over on a stand, to hitting multiple times the mic stands, to being drunk and thinking a bass drum is a fine place to leave a guitar, to getting into a car crash with the rig in the trunk, playing outside in the sun/rain/cold etc etc etc... unless You’re extremely rich and/or don’t care about nice guitars, I can’t see how anyone would take a guitar over 1000$ to a bar... there’s a reason why they call the MIM Players now and the big MIA is a Professional...

2. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

After the money put into my MIM, it totals over $1k easy.. I take it to bars. I just don’t leave it out.

Once I’m done, it gets put it it’s case / gig bag and kept near me until I walk out.

The only people who play it other than me are close musician friends that I trust.

Make good choices with your tools. That’s it.

Textele and Ferpie like this.
  3. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

I’ll caveat that and say I drink responsibly during my show and don’t get drunk.. just a little buzzed as to keep myself and my instrument safe. Also to keep a good show.

4. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

hmmm yeah we can't buy an EJ every day, but I'd just gig it.
    If it were an ultra rare collectible mint condition with tags John Cruz from 1909; with Jimi Hendrix sharpie signature on the pickguard, yeah probably want to keep it at home

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

The only reason I wouldn’t gig anything I own is I it was old and unreliable. I have all my bigger ticket gear on my insurance so if anything happens I’m not out of pocket, I don’t get overly emotionally attached to gear, it’s just stuff so don’t mind if it gets beat up in use

Stratoskater likes this.
  6. dalezjc

dalezjc Strat-Talk Member

When you get to that big rehearsal space in the sky, you'll regret not playing it out.

7. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Get a nice high res picture of it and hang it on the wall, then go play the real one. You'll always have a perfect one that way.

8. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

i will play the guitar(s) that are most appropriate to the gig.
    My gigging guitars are usually set up with high action and pretty heavy flatwound strings,
    so most folks wouldn't want to play them, even if i was going to let them try...
    which i don't.
    Most of them are kinda beat up anyhow, so i don't worry about them getting another
    scratch or ding, but i keep them close to hand even when i'm not actually playing them.
    i've only let a few select people play my special ones, and they have always been masterful players
    and very respectful of the instrument they had in hand.
    i've noticed that the really good players don't tend to ask to play your guitar; they might play it
    if you offer to let them try it out sometimes, but not always.
    It tends to be the bozos that ask, or even worse, make a grab for it without even asking.
    At least on jazz gigs, you tend to get a lot less of those kind of people, though.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. jim293

jim293 Strat-O-Master

I feel the same way about mine. I just pick and choose as to where to take it.

10. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talker

I took that to heart. Been playing it daily. 20190614_205328.jpg

dogletnoir, Textele and Mr. Grabby like this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yep... I’m not out playing at the moment but I don’t think a day has passed since I got mine (January 2019) where I haven’t played it at some point. Even if I’ve played another guitar for one reason or another, I’ll grab the EJ and give it a good play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.