Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone own a Jeep?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by sarNz, Sep 9, 2012.

1. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

My Inlaws have a 2011 wrangler and it is hands down the noisiest, worst car I have ever driven when the top is on it. It always feels to me like I'm a bit drunk, as it just feels like it weaves down the road....however, with the top and doors off, it is perhaps the most fun I ever have with just cruising around town.....

For 11,000 you can have a brand new Nissan versa, for 12,000 a brand new elantra, and for 14 a brand new ford fiesta.....payments under 200 a month for all of them....

2. ToyoMojo

ToyoMojo Senior Stratmaster

Biased on this...but brings up another good point...was this a soft top or hard top? Newer hard tops greatly reduce the noise on the road. If its a soft top, it's a soft top. Throw a soft top on a Lexus and its noisier than one without. Jeeps are not a luxury vehicle, and yes you can get any one of those small cars cheap, for a reason. But none of those are convertible or going to succeed in weather/roads like a jeep will :)

3. BugleTrout

BugleTrout Strat-Talker

I'm on my second Wrangler. The first was a '93 YJ with the 4-banger. Fun vehicle but it wasn't very reliable. The engine and tranny weren't the problem. It was the silly little things like door handles breaking and windshield wipers malfunctioning in the rain. When my son was born, it got the boot as getting him in his car seat was next to impossible.

I vowed to get another at some point in my life and the chips fell in my favor when he turned 10. I found a great deal on a '97 TJ that was street legal but had been jacked up and customized to do some serious off-roading (3" lift, 34" tires, HD Ranchero shocks, Warn winch). It has the 4.0 L V-6. It is our summer "hobbie vehicle" and gets stored in winter (not exactly a great vehicle for the cold WI winters but the heater does push out some serious BTU's).

Overall, here are the pro's and con's the I've discovered owning 2 Jeeps...

Cons - Gas mileage. Even with the 4 cylindar engine, they're not very fuel efficient. My current one gets around 10-11 mph but that's because it's pushing 34" meats. The short wheel base and rear wheel drive makes them very unstable in the snow while in 2WD. In 4WD, they'll go just about anywhere. However, experience has shown that can get you into trouble as well - you can just get deeper into the snow drift before you get stuck. There's not a lot of room to haul things in the older 2 door models and the back seat fits two adults of moderate size/weight or a large dog. They're very easy to break into - not only the cabin but the engine compartment as well. Overall, they're not very practical as a primary vehicle if you have a family.

Pro's - The engines and trannys in the newer ones are supposedly pretty good. You can go places where an average vehicle would get stuck. You have a convertible for the warm months and they're (inhale) really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really,really, really, really, really, really, really, really fun to drive.

Good luck shopping!

4. BugleTrout

BugleTrout Strat-Talker

I forgot to leave that off of the con list. The soft tops are pretty noisy and you need a kicking stereo to get past that - especially on the highway. I drove mine up to my folk's shed a couple of years ago for winter storage and had to do the 2.5 hour trip on a day with a wicked cross wind that gusted to 50 mph and driving rain. By the time I got to my folks, I felt like I went a couple rounds with an MMA fighter next to a jet engine winding at full RPMs.

If you buy one, know that there are certain points of etiquette that need to be assumed on your part. CJ and Wrangler owners are a tight brother/sisterhood and commonly wave as you pass each other. To not return the wave is considered tabboo. If you customize your ride, be prepared to spend a few minutes showing it off from time to time to other Jeep owners in various parking lots.

5. ToyoMojo

Can't wait to have another Jeep. They're too cool, so much fun....and to the stereo point...the newer Jeeps have rockin systems stock that can totally be modded for subs, new tweets, rollbar speakers, etc. When I finally get tired of my brand new Z-71 Chevy, I'll be back in a Jeep.

6. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

Yes I do!;):twisted:

I've had 17 altogether, I think. Mostly CJ-5's and 7's. Own 3 right now, a Grand Cherokee V8, my wifes' Liberty and a TJ Wrangler. I always have one eye out for another CJ.:D

7. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

Indeed!

I've got a "mid-period" (1991 Chrylser) XJ Laredo with the 4.0 "high output" straight 6 and manual trans. The ONLY repeat ONLY problem I've had was replacing the water pump and thermostat, but I am always looking out for a second Jeep; a Wrangler or a CJ.

8. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

Good points everyone, I really appreciate it!

From what you're all saying, I guess it would be worth it to keep my civic haha. I am going to try and ghetto-rig some of the repairs this weekend to see if I can get her to pass inspection for another year.

But still, the jeeps seem like so much freakin' fun. Maybe I could get one as a second vehicle. Here is one nearby, what do you think?

$6500, 5spd, 4.0L, only 62,000 miles. 1998 Wrangler Sport.

This Jeep also has a NEW BESTOP SOFT TOP soft top with dark tinted zip out windows, solid floor, tachometer, locking center console, overhead sound, tilt-wheel, air conditioning, folding rear seat, front brush bar, front trail lights.

[​IMG]

9. ToyoMojo

I would hop on that personally. You wouldn't lose money on that. If it is an original engine, it's almost impossible to find one that old with that low of mileage.

10. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

Thanks Toyo, I can't wait to hear back from the guy. I could almost pay cash for it. My expenses are super low so now that I'm finally sticking with a full time job the money is compiling pretty quickly lol

11. ToyoMojo

No problem. Things I would check...are those real half-doors? Are they aftermarket where the top black part comes off so you have an actual half-door(if so, that's good because aftermarket half doors are very expensive and you would already have them)? Check the tread on the tires, pop the hood and look hard for any kind of compiled dirt or mud(if you see any of this there's a good chance it's been mudded a lot which can be bad for the motor/tranny). Interior goes a long way on resale too so look for the things inside that might be hidden(ciggy burns, random stains, etc). I see they've already put some kind of aftermarket grill/bumper....grab a hold of it and give it a good tug to make sure it's on/installed well. If the sound system sucks in it don't pay it any attention, I would replace that on any older jeep right away. Other than that be optimistic maybe you found a hidden gem that can be modded up real nice. Let me know how it turns out :)

12. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

Thanks! It's less than a half an hour away so I can probably check it out this weekend. I also found this come up for sale:

1966 Mustang

A solid looking 66 mustang coupe.. my favorite! But honestly I think the Jeep might be more for me right now haha.

13. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Senior Stratmaster

J ust
    E mpty
    E very
    P ocket

14. ShortHanded

ShortHanded Strat-Talker

My parents run a tow truck company, and I drive for them on occassion, and drove full-time for a few years. Everytime I saw a Jeep towing something, I would turn around and catch up to them after they pulled over - varying problems, but usually a coolant system issue. Overheating, coolant leaks (lots of plastic under the hood). If you don't keep a close eye, you will blow your head gasket fairly quick. I'd say, for the percentage on the road - Jeeps broke down the most. Dodge trucks (not so much the cars) were the least. I still like the looks, and they're babe magnets at the beach and in town. But as Stark said - I've seen TONS of thermostats and water pumps, and plastic connectors in the coolants lines render a Jeep useless. Just my 2 cents!

15. FFGreen

FFGreen Strat-Talker

Get One!!!

Other than being lousy on gas...no complaints!!

Attached Files:

16. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

Mine's a daily driver/beater and she's no beauty, but she never lets me down and I've only had to change water pump and thermostat once in the twelve years I've had her.

[​IMG]

17. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

lol, thats basically how i see all open-top jeeps :p

18. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

if you are looking for dependability and practicality, nothing beats a sports car thats older than your father :p

19. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

Hahha well I don't need practicality really. Apparently that 98 TJ is sold already.. too bad. Craigslist you really gotta jump on things

20. Eddie N

Eddie N Senior Stratmaster

No jeep but I always have a 4X4:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.