Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone play strats with a 12" radius?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Highwaystrat, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    I have 7.25 and 9.5 on my electrics and 12 on my acoustic and l get on with all of them.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talk Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Not a fan of the 12 at all. Does not feel right on a Strat to me. 7.25 or 9.5 for me.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. adamajah

adamajah Strat-Talk Member

Apr 10, 2013
    usa
    This is pretty much where I'm at too. My only complaint is a slight fretting out of my first string when bending above the 14th fret.

abnormaltoy and Nate D like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

Jul 29, 2016
    Australia
    I have a Select Strat, (2012 SSS,) the radius is 9.5-14". That said, I like it very much. I also have a Jackson which is 12-16", a squire strat which is 12" & a couple of Gibsons (12"). So yeah, I like a 12"radius but have no problem with other radius necks. Its like neck profiles, our hands can adapt quite easily. Cheers

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    I have a CP Strat with a 12" radius. I prefer 9.5. Perfect Goldilox radius for me.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Several yes, and my HH electric is actually 350mm, or 13.5".

ivan H and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

Mar 13, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I have an old Peavey Predator Strat copy from the early 90s with a 12" radius and it's great for me. I also have a funky Squier Tele with the same. They are my faves.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Pulsar

Pulsar Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2016
    Savannah
    I have an EJ that I love. I think it might remind me of my old shredder days on paper thin Jackson necks but it just feels nice to bend. That said, I also love my 9.5 partscaster neck but I can get used to anything in a short while.

ivan H, abnormaltoy and Willie D like this.
  10. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    I have a couple of Blade Strats with 12" radius. They both okay superb and I think it suits them because the neck is relatively thin. I get along with all my guitars that vary between 7.25 and 12"

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. Highwaystrat

Highwaystrat Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2013
    California
    I have a Kramer Focus that has the fret tops at 12" but the fingerboard is 14", this is common and can happen because of clogged sandpaper and worn tools and such, and I have a gibson style guitar at the moment with a 12" radius, I'm finding the flatter radius very noticeable, but to my surprise I adjust quickly.
    I've been playing back to back my other strats with 9.5", and without a doubt anything involving chords feels way better, the only benefit I'm feeling with the flatter radius's is sometimes the high e string can be easier to bend around the 5th-8th fret when I bend with my pinky. But I don't care for the flatter radius around the 12-last frets. So I was thinking of trying a 9.5-12" compound just to see, but I'm leaning towards a straight 9.5", and I don't want it to taper too fast to a flatter radius, and to top it off it just seems too much like a trade off and not a good balance because I do chords all over the neck. I'll see if I can try a 9.5"-12", but I'm skeptical now.

I was thinking next time I refret a guitar to make a compound radius with different radius blocks and blend them in, but I would have to buy a fret bender and that would be a very difficult fret job.

I solo a lot around the 5th-10th fret, that's the only place I see a benefit of a flatter radius only fore the high e string, but I'm starting to feel it's not worth sacrificing the easy feeling of doing chords around there, the 9.5" feels way better.

I thought of leveling the frets in the lay of the strings which is something I don't usually do, which would kinda make the higher frets be like around 10.5"-11", I've played on guitars like that where someone leveled the frets like that, it kinda creates a compound radius, but it makes the fret height inconsistent and also I always end up correction sloppy fret level jobs and liking the results more after I level the frets myself. So I'll probably stick with a straight 9.5". I still remember I didn't like the taper of a compound radius around the 8th-12th fret, it was noticeable and was distracting. However, the idea of a compound radius is very cool, it probably just isn't for me. I hope that makes sense.

I do think it's cool to see guitars with a compound neck shape. I'm also experimenting with having the frets feel like medium jumbos around the top of the neck, then sanding between the frets around the last frets so they feel taller. Kinda like some scalloped fretboards where the scalloped start off shallow then gradually get deeper. Lots of neat ideas here.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. Swampash

Swampash Strat-O-Master

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    My 2 main partsocasters are 10" and 16" respectively, and I prefer the 16".

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    I agree, though I spent my formative guitar years doing thumb over on my wide 15"+ super strat :D

I am very grateful for my 9.5 radius guitars these days, though more technical stuff is easier on flatter boards.

abnormaltoy and mshivy like this.
  14. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I like the 12" radius I have. I've had 2 Strats built with 60's Road Worn necks that have been flattened to 12" and refretted with those Evo Gold frets. Those play really well. I had a CP60' for a while and that played really well also. But if the guitar plays good it don't matter. I have to many different ones and I think they all feel good. I have a 70's RI that I never could play lurking in the back of the closet. I only recently found what its problem was. Now it like a whole different guitar. It's got a good size mannish neck on it too. Funny how one little adjustment can ruin the whole thing.

abnormaltoy and Nate D like this.
  15. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I prefer a flatter radius, but a good set up can cover a lot of ground. That being said, I have a hard time with the vintage Fender frets. They're tiny. That drives me nuts more than the radius.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    A good set up and some fretwork and you can bend away.

Here's me bending away on my 7.25" neck. Sorry about the bad quality of the video and the playing.

abnormaltoy and adamajah like this.
  17. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    I like a 9.5" radius board in general, but neck width profile and thickness are things I take in equal if not greater consideration. It's only one spec in a series of specs that have to feel right.

abnormaltoy and Davey77 like this.
  18. adamajah

adamajah Strat-Talk Member

Apr 10, 2013
    usa
    Yeah I could use a good fret leveling. It's such a comfortable neck... love it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talk Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    One of my strats has a 12" radius and it's comfortable. My others have 9.5" but I really like the feel of a 7.25", just don't own one.