Anyone re-profiled a neck?

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
I have an Epiphone LP that has a slim but flat neck with somewhat deep shoulders. I was thinking to round the shoulders a bit.

Anyone tried this?

Do it by hand or with a tool that can take more off at a time?

We have a nice hand held sander, also a very good belt grinder.

Thoughts?

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I'd follow with "depends how much you want to remove". Also noting that if you go too far in one spot, that probably means bringing the neck down to the same depression level for the length.

If I was taking off a lot, I'd be using a wood rasp. But it's a crude tool. It will leave marks. See the note above. I'd follow with coarse then fine wood files. Then 80-100 grit, and up the scale from there.

Is this a set neck LP or a bolt-on?

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
I'd follow with "depends how much you want to remove". Also noting that if you go too far in one spot, that probably means bringing the neck down to the same depression level for the length.

If I was taking off a lot, I'd be using a wood rasp. But it's a crude tool. It will leave marks. See the note above. I'd follow with coarse then fine wood files. Then 80-100 grit, and up the scale from there.

Is this a set neck LP or a bolt-on?

Set neck.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Nope, never gave that much thought. I've found that my left hand can make that adjustment without removing the finish & wood from the neck.
Agreed. I've just played what I happened to have me hands on at the moment. I've never felt one was substantially better than another, except...

I will note the Warmoth fatback neck is the only special order I've tried on two necks. They have a great feel to them. I still do quite well with the comparatively skinny '73 LPC I've have had since 1976. Play what you have.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
I have an Epiphone LP that has a slim but flat neck with somewhat deep shoulders. I was thinking to round the shoulders a bit.

Anyone tried this?

Do it by hand or with a tool that can take more off at a time?

We have a nice hand held sander, also a very good belt grinder.

Thoughts?
The correct tool is a half round wood rasp or a spoke shave.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Agreed. I've just played what I happened to have me hands on at the moment. I've never felt one was substantially better than another, except...

I will note the Warmoth fatback neck is the only special order I've tried on two necks. They have a great feel to them. I still do quite well with the comparatively skinny '73 LPC I've have had since 1976. Play what you have.
I have 2 Squier strats, one, a 2005 Bullet, the other a 2016 Affinity. The Bullet has a 9.5 radius, the Affinity has a more modern 12 radius. The Bullet, the nut & radius of the fretboard is a narrower dimension than the Affinity. I wouldn't re-profile the Bullet, as sometimes when I fret the B string at the 1st fret I accidentally mute the high E.The Affinity seems to have more space in between for my adult sized hands. My concern is that changing the profile of the neck, I'd end up with something I ruined & making worse than it already is. If I were going to go with a different neck profile, I'd just get another neck and swap them.

The other thing about the Bullet, it's a preowned and has a dent from a fall over at the 6th fret of the neck's profile. It's a gloss poly and if I did anything with it, that would be to restore the profile as dent-less with a filler applied. As I realize that I'd probably just end up screwing that up, I'll just leave it as is

The Telecasters & Les Paul that I have are chunkier profile necks, but that seems to match their chunkier slab bodies. I wouldn't want the LP to feel like a Strat, but I have no problem with the LP feeling similar to a Tele neck. The LP is a slim taper "D". The Telecasters are "C" shapes.

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
Cup the 100 grit in your left hand, put the guitar in playing position, and start sanding.

This is the option I went with. I only had 120 grit on hand. Its slow work but about 15 minutes already gave me some progress and confidence I'm on the right track.

I might grab some 100 grit to make it go faster.
I opted not to use any of the tools I had never heard of for fear of gouging one area too much.

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
Guitar-Neck-Profile-Examples.png
So, what I have seems closest to a D shape but thinner than the diagram. Im shooting for a more oval C shape but, again, thinner than the diagram.

pn8830

Strat-O-Master
Jun 2, 2021
NJ
I did the opposite of that using wood rasp and sand paper. Saw John Monteleone doing it in an interview video, figured he couldn't be wrong.

Latest posts