Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone tempted to try drums??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by GuitLoop, Jan 1, 2020.

1. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

That looks like the roland set I tried in the store. Do you like yours?

The pads look the same but the controller looks a bit fancier though.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  2. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I have a feeling you don't jam with a guitarist while playing the electric kit lol.

pazman6 and problem-child like this.
  3. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

I recently bought a kit to start my drum journey at 57... I agonized over buying the electric kit or the acoustic kit. I have actually had both in a past decade. To get all of the features I wanted from an electric kit, I would have had to spend big(ger) bucks.

I ended up buying the acoustic kit and Zildjian low volume cymbals. I also put Remo silentstroke heads on it. I have it all in a spare bedroom. The family says they can hear it but nobody complains. They say it's not too bad even in adjacent rooms.

It does give enough volume to hear what you're playing. I play along to a cheap set of speakers and powered sub-woofer that is meant for a computer... Attached to my laptop. The speakers will easily overpower the drum kit.

Anyway, something else to consider.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ckage-l80-cymbals-and-remo-silentstroke-heads

You should get a practice pad and a spare snare stand for it also. I play everyday, but usually on the pad. I'm taking my time and making sure I have all the facility in my hands that I need. As that develops my time on the kit is more productive.

IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0969.jpg IMG_0970.jpg

GuitLoop likes this.
  4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Let's Boogie Strat-Talk Supporter

Here's mine - Gretsch Catalina Club ASH

thumbnail_20200101_223836.jpg

thumbnail_20200101_223926.jpg

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

6. Paperback Rocker

The B8 thick-ass ride is rarely used, although all the others are. It's so much fun.

GuitLoop likes this.
  7. Paperback Rocker

And as you so rightly identified before, the ZBT makes a great little crash, regardless of how cheap it is.

GuitLoop likes this.
  8. Dadocaster

I don't want to spend the money required to get hats and rides that we actually like. We have several kits but they are not in use at the same time.

9. Dadocaster

Friends don't let friends ZBT.

Nate D likes this.
  10. Paperback Rocker

No, I clearly remember you posting that cheapo cymbals work fine as crashes, and you were right. The rest of them sound like dog crap.

Nate D likes this.
  11. Dadocaster

I post so many things....

Nate D likes this.
  12. Dadocaster

But rides and hats. Wish I had more cash.

13. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I don't have any other place to put it, but I don't actually ever play it - need to sell it.

14. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I like it, but it is a lot different than playing a real kit. Everything is really close together, so you can do lots of fill stuff with less effort, but you can also miss and hit the wrong thing a lot easier. The mesh heads play great, and I am not a hard hitter on either kit. The cymbals are really cool because i can have one cymbal programmed in the middle and one for the edge. That plus the addition of the bell on the ride cymbal give 5 cymbals in 2 small areas - much less physical movement, which for me and my problematic shoulders is nice. The module is probably 30 to 50% of the cost of the kit. This particular module has good sounds, has a backing band track thing to play to, but I rarely use them. I use the midi out into my DAW and you can play listening to the headphones on the drums, but record the midi track out. I then use Steven Slate Drums, Addictive Drums or Cakewalk Session Drummer to apply custom drum sounds to recordings and have each drum on its own track for processing. I will say if you have a soft touch like I do, they are very quiet when playing in the house. My son hits them with full power including a lot of rim shots and they are pretty loud like that - in a live situation, he would need to be cranked in some monitors for the band to hear the drum sounds.

I would look at the ebay or craigslist route for a cheap used kit (or real kit). My son-in-laws mom bought my 3 year old grandson a 5 piece kit with hats and crash on CL for $125. He loves it. I got him a 1987 Squier Bullet 1 Strat, which is taller than he is, but for $30 I couldn't resist.

Paperback Rocker and GuitLoop like this.
  15. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Great info. Thanks! I'm kind of stuck going electronic due to noise constraints.

16. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

My brother came to stay with us for Christmas one year and brought his Playstation and the Rock Band game. The guitar controllers were too odd to me so I became the drummer. In that videogame setting, I could almost convince myself I could play the drums! :D

GuitLoop and dirocyn like this.
  17. Shaytan

Shaytan Strat-Talk Member

I've never played an actual drum set, but overtime in my college's musical group I've got the hang of our regular percussion instruments and have played them in live shows a few times, already.

Our main rhythm section is a floor Tom (taller than normal drum set models and with a wooden structure, so it sounds like a kick drum) and the tambourine (which we use a traditional technique by sliding the thumb on its skin so that it makes a continual vibrato on the plates). We also have a snare and a cajon we've used on occasions and sets of conga and bongo drums, the latter three I suck at.

It's still pretty cool to know some percussion basics, it further helps improving your rhythmic skills and better knowing the songs you're used to play on our beloved stringed instruments.

GuitLoop likes this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I've done the same, I thought the drum kit in that game was a lot nicer to play than the cheezy guitar controllers. Part of the time we had that game, my brother's drum kit was in the house--I went and got his drum throne and that made drumming on the Rock Band kit a lot easier.

I've played on a few drum sets. I'm one of those "jack of all trades" kinda guys, I can do mediocre drumming just from picking it up. But then, a lot of drummers are mediocre too. The one that was in my band had less sense of dynamics than I do, and he was never steady on the kick. I guess some of the music fundamentals like rhythm, dynamics, etc. transfer from one instrument to another.

The only reason I don't have a drum kit is they're expensive. Well, also they take a lot of space. The electric sets are a little tempting, since they're cheaper than real drums and take up less space. Maybe one day.

velvet_man and GuitLoop like this.
  19. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

I'm terrified to try drums, because when drums stop... bass solo!

TP

GuitLoop likes this.
  20. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

I switched from guitar back to drums full time. Best move I ever made.

Paperback Rocker and GuitLoop like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.