Anyone Use a Shield Plate?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by ToneRanger, Jul 21, 2020.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

As in a full aluminum plate under the pickguard?
    I know they used to come on some of the early 60's strats - I see Kluson makes one for pretty cheap - just wonder if they work. Seems easier than putting aluminum tape and trying to cut out all the cavities:

[​IMG]

amstratnut and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

No.

It looks convenient for sure.

Fwiw. I used aluminum foil with spray glue. It took less than a minute to cut the holes with an exacto.

StummerJoe, Ebidis and jdyanine like this.
  3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

I haven't had one on any of my guitars, but I have a guitar with an aluminum pickguard, and those work, so I imagine those shields work as well.

You'd want to shield the body cavities too. Might as well do it right, you know.

StummerJoe likes this.
  4. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I put one on my 60's Classic series when I did a full rewire with pots and switch. I did no other fancy shielding and it seems to be pretty quiet until you step on the dirt pedal. If I hold it *just* right (at an angle away from whatever weird noise my pickups, uh well, pickup in my guitar room) it's darn near noiseless on a clean amp.

I watched a few videos and read around about the full shielding and guys would use the correct paint, or spend hours putting in the foil tape with X amount of overlay with the correct adhesive that is also conductive and on and on only to decide that the decrease in hum was pretty much minimal from any A/B test videos I saw. Your pickups are the main antennae for noise.

5. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Yes, you will want to do the Pickguard and the cavities. You should encase all the electronics to shield them. I use self adhesive copper foil which I bought from Amazon. I really doesn't take that long to do.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

That shield will work but,
    A roll of Nashua aluminum flashing tape is around $7 for a roll that will shield the pickguards and cavities of two dozen guitars.

Sarnodude and StummerJoe like this.
  7. jdyanine

jdyanine Strat-Talk Member

I've fixed some static noise issues shielding the entire pickguards with aluminium foil (the kind of noise issues you could temporally fix rubbing drying sheets). It was pretty easy, like an art work from primary school.

Can't understand why expensive pickguards are not completely shielded, while chinese cheap ones are well made in that regard.

My brother had built a pickguard made of aluminum tread plate a ton of years ago. He did a great job, but the thing was ugly and made that strat to sound even more harsh. Don't know if it affected the magnetic field of the pickups, but he ended up restoring the original pickguard.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

It's gonna add more weight than foil, if thats a concern.

jbylake and StummerJoe like this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I use them on two of my own guitars.... the quietest two!

10. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

I have one. It stops the thin single ply pickguard from warping for some reason.

11. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I bought strat wiring harness pre mounted on a Fender 50's style shield plate which is smaller than the entire pickguard one. It just covers the controls and leaves the pickups alone. Seems to work really well and you can buy them separately for about $7 with shipping.

Fender USA Vintage Series '57 Strat Aluminum Shield Plate 0019640000

[​IMG]

Some guy on ebay called SmokeyB sells the complete harness made to order mounted on one for very reasonable prices. Here's mine which has a blend pot and treble bleed with combined tone in the middle, not bad for $50 inc shipping.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  12. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

13. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I used one on my avatar guitar when I built it. I think it is a great product, but I really have not witnessed any performance or interference improvements as compared to my other Strats that only have the foil shield.

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I use one on my Strat with Fender 57/62's.....it helps cut down on noise and hum if the body cavity is also shielded.....

15. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

No, I use insulated wire and use copper tape with conductive adhesive. Pretty sure I could get by with just the insulated wire, but I was actually bored.

jbylake likes this.
  16. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-O-Master Silver Member

There's nothing wrong with hum, picking up local radio and feeding back like a biatch!

It's a forgotten art, and Jimi was THE master.

17. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

GFS has these full shield plates. Less than $10 when I bought one a few years back.

18. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I have them in 2 partscasters and they do work very well. I haven't used the tape but I can't imagine it being lighter than these.

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

This is what is in my EJ strat.

For some background, I bought a new 8 hole Fender guard for my black strat (now sort of my "Poor Man's Blackie,") and oddly enough it came with NO shielding at all.
    I tried putting on aluminum tape, but I rushed the job and ended up with MORE static and noise - I pulled all of it back off except around the controls and it quieted back down, but I was looking for something that could be dropped in easily without having to be an art project - ergo the interest in the plate.

20. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

I use them on both my Strats. They are very thin (much thinner than the 54-59 style small plate) and lightweight and work just fine.