Anyone Use The Fender Mod Shop To Build A Strat?

Jim Havins

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 28, 2016
Glendale, Az
I've looked at the "build your own" for Strats and Tele's....you can pick a color but not much more....if you want a "custom" Fender you have to go the real custom shop and pay the price, modify or build your own, or buy a cusom made guitar.....I'll buy what I need and make/modify myself...I'm old and picky...

BulletLee

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 8, 2014
Upstate New York
I got one built back before the Professional II series. I loved everything about that series except I wanted a LPB, so I basically had one built to that spec with the custom color. At the time it was only a few hundred more and wasn't as high as the prices they demand now. I can't recall how long it actually took, maybe 2 months order to arrival? It sat with nothing in terms of the status for the longest time then progressed quickly and showed up just as fast. I ordered it through my local shop too because they had a little dealer portal and they could accept the package during the day for me. It was worth it and I'm not the type to go down paths like this but the Am Pro series I was a HUGE fan of and had a sentimental tie to that LPB based on an earlier guitar I no longer owned. Hope this helps in the decision!!

Joe R

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 3, 2015
Vermont
Just curious as to your experience, how long it took, etc.

Or someone you know that did and have an opinion?

Purely just window shopping so to speak.
Not for me. They are WAY too expensive. You can scan the Reverb site and probably find a guitar that matches your requirements. They stopped offering my favorite neck options. I really don't like Tall/Narrow frets, and much prefer medium jumbo. They have only one Strat neck that isn't Tall/Narrow, and it's vintage with vintage tuners. Now the Custom Shop is a different animal altogether. There you can get EXACTLY what you want......as long as you're willing to mortgage your house, sell your car, and trade in your wife/husband to pay for it.

Numbercruncher

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2017
Spokane, WA
Just curious as to your experience, how long it took, etc.

Or someone you know that did and have an opinion?

Purely just window shopping so to speak.

Mine was a total disaster.

I ordered my new dream guitar in November of 2019 as a 50th birthday present for myself. The guitar showed up in about 30 days and looks . . . awesome. As seen in the image below.

But the neck pickup (N4G) would cut out intermittently and I went back and forth between Fender and a local repair guy. This bull-shoot lasted ten weeks. Fender just would not send out a single N4G pickup which would have solved the problem. I finally raised major Hell with Fender and they bought the guitar back from me. What sucks, royally, is that you can no longer get an ash body with a mahogany neck. So my 50th birthday present was still born thanks to fender.

If you get a good one is can be the best guitar you ever purchased. But if you have issues, you'll be in the same Hell I was in. Most local guitar places don't want to warranty the guitar because they didn't sell it to you and with Fender you are stuck calling customer support. The round and round game was a total nightmare and I won't go into it in any detail. But yeah, my experience sucked the big one.

Just seeing this photo again turns my stomach.

ModShopRedFrontlightersmalljpg.jpg

NC

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Mine was a total disaster.

I ordered my new dream guitar in November of 2019 as a 50th birthday present for myself. The guitar showed up in about 30 days and looks . . . awesome. As seen in the image below.

But the neck pickup (N4G) would cut out intermittently and I went back and forth between Fender and a local repair guy. This bull-shoot lasted ten weeks. Fender just would not send out a single N4G pickup which would have solved the problem. I finally raised major Hell with Fender and they bought the guitar back from me. What sucks, royally, is that you can no longer get an ash body with a mahogany neck. So my 50th birthday present was still born thanks to fender.

If you get a good one is can be the best guitar you ever purchased. But if you have issues, you'll be in the same Hell I was in. Most local guitar places don't want to warranty the guitar because they didn't sell it to you and with Fender you are stuck calling customer support. The round and round game was a total nightmare and I won't go into it in any detail. But yeah, my experience sucked the big one.

Just seeing this photo again turns my stomach.

View attachment 559016

NC
Sorry you had a bad experience, that is an extremely nice looking Strat.

Was the neck pickup the only issue?

JCavender

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 28, 2013
Torrance, CA
I traded for a Mod Shop Strat. It’s matte black with an all rosewood neck, aged pearloid p/g, locking tuners, hardtail bridge and Gen4 Noiseless pickups.

Attachments

• 0CA56696-721D-489D-955B-E2EFCEE9352B.jpeg
    0CA56696-721D-489D-955B-E2EFCEE9352B.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 12

Numbercruncher

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2017
Spokane, WA
Sorry you had a bad experience, that is an extremely nice looking Strat.

Was the neck pickup the only issue?

That was the only issue. But what a killer looking Strat it could have been.

And I was not the only one from that time that had a bad neck pickup. Fender must have had a bad batch and should have take steps to take care of the issue.

NC

Latest posts