Anyone used a 100k pot, or anything less than 250k

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by nickmsmith, Sep 5, 2020.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Experiences?? I usually roll my tone down to 6-7. What would a 100k or other potentiometer do?

2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Leo did, in the prototypes. But then decided that was too dark.

It will be pretty similar to a 250k pot turned down some. Probably a little darker than a log pot on 7. But they were using 0.1uF caps, which are also dark.

Halfway on a linear 250k is at 5 and is of course 125k. On a log pot, that happens between 7-8. So there's a chance that 100k is exactly what you want. But you give up the ability to turn it up.

Nate D and nickmsmith like this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Thanks!!!

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

If you mean the volume pot, you can find out what it would sound like turned up fully by soldering about a 170-180k resistor from your 250k pot's hot side to ground. Or with volume on the guitar turned up all the way, put that extra resistor across the signal in your cable's jack. Either way will load the pickup(s) with about 100kΩ.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

It's not really the same as a 100k pot, because a 250k pot turned down doesn't load the pickup with 100kΩ. The pickup still sees the full 250kΩ.

6. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

You can replicate the tone with a 100k volume pot at max, very closely, by using a 250k pot and rolling down the tone, keeping the volume at max.

The reason this works is that as you roll down tone, the effect of the cap is not significant until about half way down. Instead, it's all about the resistances.

So let's say you have 250k log pots for volume and tone, and want to consider changing to a 100k volume, keeping tone as 250k.

At max, a 100k volume with 250k tone will sound really close to a 250k volume with tone set at 100k. So set your tone to about 7. (or if you want to be precise, get inside and measure where on the tone control is 100k)

This just tests the max treble available but it would be enough to consider the options, short of fully wiring a new pot, or adding a parallel resistor.

nickmsmith likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I did a repair for a guy that loved his tone but the pot was worn out for much of the sweep. Replacement I matched the 125k of the original he liked. Very happy when he got it back.

You can either put a fixed 250k-ish resistor across the outer lugs of a 250k pot or find a 100k pot. If you want to get exact you can find the 'resistors in parallel' calculators on the internet.

Trend is lower kohms gives darker tone. Higher uF tone cap, even when dimed, will give darker tone. Pickups closer to the strings will give darker/muddier but more volume output tone.

Assuming you're doing this on a Strat and that it's SSS classic ... you could rewire with an Armstrong Blender and you can blend in some thicker series output which will be darker. That's how I set mine up.

nickmsmith likes this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

My old Danos have 100k pots. With a really bright and underwound pickup they work fine.

nickmsmith likes this.