Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone used Boss Katana Head Live?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by gofmusic, Mar 16, 2018.

Is Katana 100W head worth for live a live performance?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Well the title pretty much sums it up. I wanna know your experiences with the Katana in a live situation. Tell me about the style you played, the size of the venues, the number of musicians in the band, or watever to make me an idea of the whole situation.

Im interested in the 100W head, to use it with my 1x12 cab (closed back, rocket 50). I play mostly rock and pop music, and currently I practice and gig with a 15W Laney CUB12r through the same cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Have you checked out the Katana thread on the gear page ? All you ever need to know is there. It may take a while to read it.:p

CB91710 and gofmusic like this.
  3. gofmusic

695 posts!!!!! Thank you but I think it may take a weekend for me to get the anwsers I want there lol.

I searched for something like that here on strat talk with no luck. I just like ST better than the other forums :p

I then decided to start a new thread with a very specific question (I guess): ¿Katana Head Live?

I dont want to know if it sounds OK compared to a Mustang or Core... or how many patches, or whatever. Just how nice is the live experience :)

Any thoughts?

4. Thrup'ny Bit

695 pages of posts ;) Plenty use the head live, one is just working on stereo Boss 2x12 cabs to go with his.

gofmusic likes this.
  5. gofmusic

True hahaha... no way Im going through all of it. Can one search a thread there?

6. Thrup'ny Bit

It's only taken me 18 months, but I read it every day... Yes, you can search the thread.

7. gofmusic

I may read it when I retire haha. So, live Katana yes or no? :p

8. Thrup'ny Bit

I've used my 50 with the band a couple of times. It was fine. I should add that I'd be using it all the time with the band, if I hadn't officially retired from it 13 years ago and only get to play very rarely...

gofmusic likes this.
  9. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

You might have better luck searching using Google.

Katana 100 combo owner here. Love the amp. If you can't get a good tone out of a Katana amp it's not the amps fault.

gofmusic likes this.
  10. gofmusic

Do you use it live?

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Are you concerned about air pushed
    Or
    Tone in a large space
    Or
    What

I've taken the 100 out three times
    Mainly for convenience

Private performances
    No band
    One I played with 2x10 alnico jensens...

Other one the songs were just quiet and sweet..
    So I just played the internal 5"(mic+PA)
    30x35 room 15 foot ceiling

Third time I should have stayed in bed
    I was concussed and injured...
    Bad day in Santa Rosa

But I am working on a 2x12 ceramic cab, hoping to add a bit of woody tone...

The hundred head is quite convenient...
    Also going to add the plugin peripherals

12. gofmusic

Its more about the tone. 100W ss shoud do volume wise in the places I usually gig.

Ive had experiences with digital stuff before and noticed that as the volume goes higher the things sound worse. Like lack of highs, or dynamics, dont know how to express my memory actually.

Wow! you gigged with the 5" speaker?! thats nice! even though it was a small venue.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

That small speaker pumps out 30W at the 100W setting. I could probably use 0.5w, but the music I play doesn't need loud amps, stage volume is kept low. House volume is taken care of by the PA

gofmusic likes this.
  14. leifrobertson

leifrobertson Strat-Talk Member

I use a fender bassman, and more often a Bad Cat Hot cat as my live amp but I own the live 100 watt, used it live and it was surprisingly good. I’m usually a tube guy. I may buy a second one of these and play in stereo but not till I get the foot switch. As of right now If I use it live again (I’d rather use my pedal board and bad Cat Hot cat) but this is very cool live. No pedals really needed at all. Only thing I don’t like about this amp is it took me a long time to get my sounds specific sounds from my board and I haven’t gotten the 120 foot switch yet. I bought this as a nice live tool...Bit can you use it live? **** yeah and if you buy two you can hook them up together as a stereo rig. That’s why I bought the combo and not the head but apparently you can do it with the head and two of their cabs.

So to answer your question...yes of course 100 watts. Would I use the 50 live??? No. It’s not only watered down version but it’s 50 watts of solid state so unless your sending to the pa (in that case ok) I’d spend the messily 350 for the 100 watt combo. Of course if you really want to not use great expensive tube rigs like I do...save up...get a kemper amp. That’s the tube amp killer really. I’ve been avoiding buying it because I’m in love with my amps. Ok also realize if your buying two for stereo really think about keeping it because I’m sure the resale value will drop. I just bought the mk2 and had just heard of the amp. I am a tube guy and for a solid state....impressive.

Remember though it has a line out for a pa. And again it’s so cheap or inexpensive that you could spend 600. Bucks and we’ll have the equivalent of a blues jr or whatever without the tubes. Kinda tics me off that is plays so well...lol. Good luck.

15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In general, if a 50w amp... or even a 30w amp, is not loud enough, either your drummer is too loud, your music/style requires huge amounts of clean headroom, or you should be micing the cab and running through the house system.
    A 100w amp... *any* 100w amp... is more than adequate for any realistic situation. From 1979 to around 1995, I had nothing but 100w combos. I don't think I ever turned anything up above 5 other than in practice just to see what a dimed Peavey Deuce sounded like through 6x12's.
    Don't forget how much of R&R history was recorded with the little tweed 5E3, and performed with 50w amps.

On the Katana, between the 50 and 100w, the 100w unit offers footswitching and effects loop options not available on the 50, plus a separate line out, while the 50 has only the phones/recording out, so if you DO for some reason need 200w, you could run the line out from the 100 into a 2nd 100... or the board.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

My son gigs the Katana 50w combo as a clean platform.

We did not care for channel switching options or the lead tones very much.

Its much simpler to use it with a board.

Ymmv.

17. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I think @apm1991 used to gig a Katana but don't know which model.

apm1991 likes this.
  18. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

yeah I've gigged a Boss Katana 50 for about 40-50 shows.... worked great! lot of shows I only had to put it up to 25 watts.... for really big venues they just mic'd it up.... I actually used the 2 channels and a switch pedal as my distortion too

Cerb likes this.
  19. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the 100W MKII and it's more than loud enough. I've gigged with it as a powered speaker for my GT-1000 and even outside there was still plenty more in the tank if I needed it.

Cerb likes this.
  20. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, while using a JCM800 50W live with my drummer he is giving the 50watter a very hard time.
    I had to play it on master volume 8 and could not get any proper "clean" tone out of it (if I would have to..).
    I have to use my JCM800 or as the ultimate weapon my ENGL Blackmore to get on par volume wise.
    It is ok with me and just fine but seriously he is one loud MoFo.

But yeah, it can be done

Life is loud,
    Robin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.