Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone using a DSL40?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by ChrisD, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

I have the opportunity to buy a Marshall DSL40 combo. Its the limited edition vintage looking one. Has anyone got any experience with these amps? I've never been a massive Marshall fan but I'm so impressed with the Blackstar I bought that I'd definitely consider a good Marshall. So how are they and are there any issues to look out for or expect?

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  2. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a DSL-40C that I bought about a year ago at a steal of a closeout price when they were switching to the newer version. I love it. I put a Creamback in it, but honestly it sounded good with the stock 70/80 (even though that speaker doesn't get a lot of love).

It's a super versatile amp that will get you Classic Marshall tones, and I like the cleans a lot as well. Folks tend to not like the Ultra Gain settings much, but if you keep the keep the gain knob dialed way down, it's a usable channel...and the Classic channel is wonderful with any amount of gain dialed in.

I think you'll find generally high praise for these online, with the typical internet smattering of haters chiming in. I see them used a lot by bands playing out around here - a lot of sound in a relatively portable package. And as an owner, I highly recommend them.

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Calling @heltershelton...he plays one with an extension cab.

I don't have an actual DDL40C but play through the predecessor, the DSL401. I gotta say that I love it. I can dial it it to get great cleans as well as classic Marshall crunch. It's perfect size for practice but still has enough power to gig and not be drowned out in the mix.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

I should add that if you like deep, echo-ey reverb and you buy this amp, get a reverb pedal as well. But otherwise, as I mentioned, great amp.

5. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

I noticed it has digital reverb. Up until recently I wouldn't have looked at it for this reason but the digital reverb on the Blackstar is actually really nice. The cleans also seem to get great reviews for a Marshall.

How do you guys find the amp when it is switched to 20w mode? Still sounds good? I actually love that speaker so that is definitely a plus point, love it in my HRD.

6. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

At room level, you won't really hear a difference. The headroom it gains is negligible tbh and frankly, it isn't even that much more quiet :D

The speaker just doesn't color the sound. What you hear through it is exactly what the DI out of any amp sends to the PA or at least to your pc.
    I love that.

7. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Why not just get a black star? Sorry to be captain obvious

8. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have a DSL40c.
    I run it primarily at 20 Watts since I only use it at home now.

The stock 70 / 80 has a very flat frequency respose. To me it sounds fine although many owners replace it with a slightly more mellow speaker.

You really won't need any distortion pedals as the gain controls on both channels
    Provide plenty of oomph. The Clean / Crunch channel is superb.
    The Ultra Gain channels and mid-scoop are good for metal Territory.

You will need a supplemental reverb pedal. My unit provides no discernable (digital) reverb so I added a MXR reverb which is quite good.

All in all, it's an OK amp. Good enough for me.

If I remember correctly, I bought it very shortly before ( or just after ) Blackstars appeared.
    It came at a good price. I was looking really hard at Mesa 5/50 Express but they were much more $ - significant for a retiree.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  9. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

I’ve read that the DSL’s are the best Marshall amps ever made.

They can give you anything from the vintage old school crunch, to over the top distortion. I’ve been wanting the 20 watt version.

I tried out the 1watt version of it and loved it, although it has different preamp tubes than the EL34’s that the 20 has.

@heltershelton can make one sound good, and he’s right when he says you don’t need any overdrive pedals with it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Antstrat, velvet_man and Tone Deaf like this.
  10. Edbso

Edbso Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I picked up a DSL40CR last year. Good amp with a lot of flexibility. Seems to handle pedals well. I upgraded the stock tubes and that made a bigger difference for me.

Tone Deaf and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I've played one of the new ones a few times when looking around. I liked it quite a bit. I agree that I only like the ultra gain with the gain turned to about 3 or so. I would use a pedal with it and keep the gain lowered because I thought the ultra-gain channel was a tad overboard and brittle when turned up. But that is kind of par for the course for all the new DSLs I've tried. I didn't pull the trigger on one when looking because I got a smokin deal on something else (free). I also didn't need another 40 watt amp. But if I needed something in that range, I liked it well enough to buy one.

Tone Deaf and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  12. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Strat-Talker

I had one. It was a decent amp, but the reverb was wretched, and has been on every one I've tried. I sold it and got a Marshall Class 5 for my Marshall tone.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

What, where did you read that!?!? While these are decent amps they don't even compare to a Super Lead, Super Bass, JTM or JCM.

OP if it were me I'd get either of the new 20 watt Marshalls that just came out. One in Plexi flavor and one in JCM flavor.

14. Thunderhopkins8

I read it on forums. Most of the reviews and opinions about gear are simply that. Opinions. Doesn’t make it true. I’m not saying it’s the best, just going by what I’ve read.

FWIW, I played a 1 watt version and loved it, but again, just an opinion.

15. Stratoskater

I'm guessing 99% of those who are saying that have never played a real JTM, JMP or JCM. Like I said they are fine amps but far from the "best Marshall ever made".

dbolt, Thunderhopkins8 and Edbso like this.
  16. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I've had three high end Marshalls.....still have my jcm900 head.....and I can honestly say my dsl20cr sounds just as good as any of them.
    of course, I did change out the stock speakers in the combo and extra cab.
    as far as being made as well as the others......that's a big fat no way.

17. Stratoskater

Yeah it was more the build quality I was referencing when I said these are definitely not the "best Marshalls ever made" and not so much the tone.

dbolt and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  18. Thunderhopkins8

I don’t know if they have or haven’t. Music is subjective. What’s considered best to some may be awful to others. I’ve played a JCM before and thought the DSL sounded just as good if not better. Not sure on the build quality. Tone is what I’m after.

19. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

I didn't love the stock speaker, and I swapped it out. My local tech saw some solder joints he didn't like (it was cutting out on me) and he reflowed a bunch of them. Since then, it's been flawless. I don't use OD2 at all, and agree the reverb is useless, but it's a nice amp, and it's LOUD if you want it to be.

20. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

I have an Origin 50C, and often wonder if I should've got a DSL40CR..may get one anyways!
    IMG_20190227_172124.jpg
    I LOVE the Origin, but I have to boost it to achieve distortion at low (bedroom in an apartment) levels. It is LOUD though!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.