Anyone using ClassicGear tuners?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by beerbelly, Apr 7, 2021 at 8:29 AM.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly Strat-Talk Member

I'm a big fan of vintage tuners. I like the way the strings load from the top, the cupped buttons, and the extra clearance between the buttons for my fat fingers.

I'm considering putting these on my 2015 American Standard, and would like to hear from others who have them.

0990802100_fen_acc_dtl_2_nr.jpg

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

I installed them August 2019 on my 2000 American Series Strat. They work perfectly and have caused no problems through several string changes. I like 'em!

TP

Strat Tuners.jpg

3. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Got regular vintage tuners on my Roadworn Vintera.

First time I’ve had a guitar with them and definitely prefer them.

I can’t see how the modern type are an improvement personally.

4. Stevn

Stevn Strat-O-Master

I hate the open ends. But that’s just me. They work fine.

5. RandyM

RandyM Strat-Talker

When switching, I would use those but usually go with the locking, as I like the modern buttons better. My favorite button style is the 70's style F-tuner. A Classic Gear with that button I'd be all over it!

6. beerbelly

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered a set from Darren Riley's on reverb.com; a smokin' deal for $43 with free shipping.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    TepidPilot and AxemanVR like this.
  7. AngeloEvs

AngeloEvs Strat-Talker

I have them but thinking of going back to the original Fender Staggered locking tuners. I agree regards the advantage of smaller buttons and that the string ends tucked into the post look neater but I find stringing them a bit fiddly and seems to take longer. It’s probably me not being used to them but I will give them a bit longer before I switch, no rush at the moment.

8. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The screw in bushings require a much larger hole in the headstock. Also the cast molded backs which are sledged on with a smushed post tend to come apart.

The vintage Gotoh Kluson replacement gears in the aged finish are exact replacements and I prefer them a lot more to these.

9. beerbelly

These are 2-pin drop-in replacements for modern USA and MIM Strats & Teles, no drilling.

TepidPilot and Scott Baxendale like this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    All my Strats (and one Tele) currently have Fender vintage style tuners. I'm sure modern locking tuners have certain advantages, but they aren't a "world's apart" difference as far as I'm concerned.

I suppose if I were the kind of guy who changes strings every month it might be worth having locking tuners, but I don't (more like 8 to 10 months), so it really doesn't matter all that much to me...

Neck.JPG
    `

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 3:54 PM
  11. Scott Baxendale

Locking tuners are useless. The entire concept is to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

The only gear that makes any sense to be a locking gear is for a slotted headstock and no one makes those. The original split shaft Kluson gears are the best designed gear ever. The new Gotoh made direct replacements are very good.

beerbelly likes this.
  12. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Got to agree.

If you need locking tuners on a Strat then you’ve got an issues elsewhere (more than likely the nut lol).

Even the “quicker changing strings” justification doesn’t hold water if you’ve got a basic string winding tool as it takes you seconds to tune up.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  13. Scott Baxendale

It takes twice as long to restring with locking gears, I think? Plus they stick up too high off the headstock and are far too clunky.

I can easily restring and tune any normal Strat in under 5 minutes. The split shaft gears by far are the easiest gears to remove old strings from.

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Other than speeding up string changes, I don't see a need for lockers. If a guitar comes with them I leave them on. If not, I stay with what comes. And I do prefer the vintge style.