anyone using Mesa Boogie Mark V 35...favorite settings

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by wstsdr, Mar 29, 2021.

1. wstsdr

wstsdr Strat-Talk Member

Curious who here has a Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 and what are your favorite settings? I've been playing around with mine and interested in some more "crunch" and "bluesy dirt" sounds. The tinkering is fun!

TIA!

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I have a MK V 25 head with a 1x12 recto cab. I usually run it at 10 watts. Does yours make a sound audible through the speaker when you switch channels?

I was hanging out with Brad Gillis, who used to be a Mesa endorser, and he complained about this on every Mark amp he ever had and he said that he uses Soldano now.

My Mark V 25 makes a popping noise whenever I would switch over from clean to dirty. I took it in to the warranty guy and he couldn’t find anything wrong with it, and said that most Mesa/Boogie amps do this. He said it was the “caps” charging. Well if you press the foot switch a few times back and forth, from clean to dirty, the “POP” sound fades away. After about five times, it goes away. Completely. Caps charged.

I was almost a little disappointed that Brad never figured it out. He had 3 *****in’ Full stacks when I saw him on the Seven Wishes tour

3. wstsdr

wstsdr Strat-Talk Member

That's crazy! Brad Gillis played the first Ozzy concert I saw at the Hartford Civic Center in 1982 after RR died.

I don't get that "POP". Thanks for that information if it ever happens. I do hear the internal fan at low whisper volume, though. The fan really doesn't bother me and I know there are fixes/workarounds for quieter computer fans...I'm kinda surprised Mesa doesn't fix known issues. I suppose if products came out perfect we wouldn't have forums like these. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  4. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

The "pop" is a thing with the MKV for sure. It sounded so good I overlooked it but still.

I'd run mine on the OD channel in MK IV mode with the gain at about 10 o'clock and the eq all about noon. I did the crooked smile with the EQ (bass lower than the treble - dipped mids) and it sounded great for rock n roll.

wstsdr likes this.
  5. wstsdr

wstsdr Strat-Talk Member

Much appreciated...I'll give that a go. Having a lot of fun exploring atm.

ajb1965 likes this.