Anyone with Maton Guitar experience?

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Good enough for Tommy Emmanuel and Eric Johnson. What else do you need to know?
Very good point. Extremely actually.

To put things into clear perspective, I picked out a new guitar to get-very likely a 2020 Epiphone offering. I’ve read and watched countless reviews that have made me believe they are close enough to Gibson sound and feel that it’s almost silly to buy a Gibson.
It will very likely be the last guitar I ever buy and not sell.The wife said the magic words...”why not spend some real money”, and it got me thinking about other options. I play at least a couple hours a day and plan on taking guitar more seriously going forward, like playing with other folks again. I’ve never spent more that $500 cash on a guitar, and maybe it’s time to get something very nice.

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington

To put things into clear perspective, I picked out a new guitar to get-very likely a 2020 Epiphone offering. I’ve read and watched countless reviews that have made me believe they are close enough to Gibson sound and feel that it’s almost silly to buy a Gibson.
It will very likely be the last guitar I ever buy and not sell.The wife said the magic words...”why not spend some real money”, and it got me thinking about other options. I play at least a couple hours a day and plan on taking guitar more seriously going forward, like playing with other folks again. I’ve never spent more that $500 cash on a guitar, and maybe it’s time to get something very nice.
Treat yourself bro. There is a huge difference between a factory guitar, nice as they can be, and a handmade instrument built with extreme attention to detail.

If it's going to be your last, make it a keeper! Good luck.:thumb: (Looking forward to the NGD review:D)

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington

Also, I saw EJ live before the whole virus thing and he was playing his Maton. Sounded brilliant, but that guy could play a shovel with a string on it.

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO
I love both those guys btw. Tommy Emmanuel is crazy fun to watch, and he seems like the nicest guy ever too.

He is a true gentleman in every sense of the word. Kind, patient, and humorous. His whole demeanor is of one whose thrilled to perform and make a living at something he truly loves.

The last show I saw he was with David Grisman and dog tired from having done a both a workshop and a show in the mountains then driven to Ft. Collins to do a two set show.

He still set up outside the hall afterward and signed autographs and happily chatted with fans for more than an hour despite looking like badly needing 8 hours of solid sleep.

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
The wife said the magic words...”why not spend some real money”, and it got me thinking about other options.
NEVER let that woman go!:thumb:

My wife is great like that too. In fact she just shrugs when I say anything is $2K - $3K. Used to trip her out, but 15 years later...:D

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Denver, CO

My wife is great like that too. In fact she just shrugs when I say anything is $2K - $3K. Used to trip her out, but 15 years later...:D

I no longer have a wife.....but $2k-$3k trips me out anyway.

Like I said before. I'm a cheap SOB.....um, I mean value oriented. ;)

Mr C

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2016
New Zealand
I’ve a had a few over the years being down under they’re quite common here in NZ and relatively cheap versus North American guitars. Both electric and acoustic are Very good guitars, the electrics are super cool too.... if your looking at something like a Maton 808 then you might also check out Cole Clarke guitars which are built from much the same woods. Jack Johnson plays one...

They’re not the liveliest unplugged but the onboard electronics on the Maton acoustics is second to non and as a performance guitar they are IMHO one of the best acoustics you can get at sensible money...

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you feel it first, if you can. The feel of a guitar is super important to me. If you have to order it in, just return it if you dont like it

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO

She’s super cool. I’m lucky as all get out. I never spend money, I mean never. So, she is really supportive if I say I want to get something. Her philosophy is why get something if it’s not what you want? So, yea, I got a good one. Sounds like you did too!

Bladesg

Funk Meister
Silver Member
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Great guitars indeed.

If you're looking at Australian made then also check out the Cole Clark acoustics. Love mine!