Apple Big Sur is more like “No Sir!”

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by SoulSurfer, Nov 14, 2020.

1. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Yeah i suppose so. the older models have decent value. i just prefer windows :)

simoncroft likes this.
  2. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

At school we used Windows and that's what we always had at home growing up. Apple/iOS has always felt completely alien to me and I just can't get the hang of it. I'm sure it's good stuff though, Bill Gates wouldn't have bailed them out years ago if it wasn't :D

SonOfLerome and simoncroft like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Thank you for taking a balanced view, and seeing it in terms of personal preference. Windows users who bash Macs are like Fender players who slag off Gibsons; there's room for both in this world. I bought my latest Mac used for about £1,200 (dollar price is slightly irrelevant, because Mac cost more over here, but about $1,580). It's built like a tank and has four removable drive bays. I've got 12 cores of processing and 128GB or RAM. Not bad for a 10-year-old machine!

FWIW, I have Windows 10 installed on one of the drives, but seldom have a reason to go there. It's a perfectly fine OS, but I don't have the software investment in that platform, so not a lot to run!

@ChrisD – I learned to be 'bilingual', but I tend to have the opposite problem. ;)

Jigawatt and SonOfLerome like this.
  4. SonOfLerome

Yeah of course. it’s really all about what you want/need. I think apple has a really good OS and all of their products look very good, but windows gets you much more for your money as far as power goes, at least nowadays :)

drp146 and simoncroft like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I got caught once by Apple many years ago and continue to stay away.
    Rick Beato summed up the problems quite well.
    Perhaps one day Apple will change their ways.
    I do always admire the Marketing talent in convincing people to desire the brand.

6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

On the contrary, Macs are seemingly more expensive because of the high quality of their components. If you spec out a Windows machine to match the hardware muscle of a similar Mac, they price out about the same.

let me illustrate with a story. My wife bought a set of Blue USB mics for her radio reading service. Not one of them worked. I took a couple home to experiment with and they worked perfectly. My Macs USB ports were maximum powered... on the reading services brand new Dells, they didn’t provide enough power to run the mic. So the mic just worked on a Mac, thanks to superior components.

Also, my Mac Pro is 10 years old and still runs like a champ. Lemme know when a Dell lasts a decade as a functional machine.

This isn’t a “Mac rules” post. My wife uses Windows and I understand why. But I felt the need to address the idea that a Mac is overpriced.

PS: Rick Beato is a tool.

7. SonOfLerome

I mean a dell is a dell. The usb thing sounds like a bigger problem than “higher quality components”
    Apple doesn’t allow people to fix or upgrade their broken stuff, unlike other brands.
    I built my own computer, it’s far more powerful than any mac at a similar price.

drp146 likes this.
  8. Seamus OReally

That, again, is incorrect. I have upgraded the CPUs (12 core 33.3ghz), the video card, the RAM, the Wifi card. The old “you can’t upgrade them” canard goes back to 1984.

BelairPlayer and fezz parka like this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Just one problem with that old video, and the even older Apple Macs Beato seems to base his opinions on: if you look at his more recent videos, he's back using Macs! That doesn't seem to stop morons posting abuse below his video about "Apple fanboys", as if none of us were actually using these machines professionally in the motion picture, music, graphic design and publishing industries.

It's great that you did that, but I have repaired my wife's MacBook Air, so I can't agree you can't fix Apple's computers. If I can take apart and repair one of their tiny laptops, think what a professional tech can do! It's true that Apple's stuff can be harder to fix, but that because their computers aren't assembled from generic parts. Seriously, take a look on YouTube and there are a ton of videos showing you how to repair Apple products, from iPhones up to Mac Pros.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

You can say anything you want about apples hardware being overpriced(and rightfully so) or as i call them..the PRS of computers:D but their OS is the biz.....you set it up and forget about the thing for ages...works like clockwork and helps you focus at the job at hand cause it gives you so little trouble that you forget it exists...and just does the job.Never had that experience with either windows or Linux.

11. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

They are, you can get a pretty powerful PC for the price of an iMac, they do have one thing going for them they are quiet.

After I built a PC with liquid cooling and radiators (and one fan) it cost more than the iMac, so the choice was quiet enough to record acoustic or the expensive PC...

PC's can be updated hardware wise, Macs not so much, PC is still the way to go IMO but the iMac suited my current lazy nature... "just press buy".

SonOfLerome likes this.
  12. Seamus OReally

Again, that dates back to the first little Mac in 1984. PC users have been saying it ever since.

I've upgraded virtually everything on my machine: CPU, RAM, video card, installed a Wifi card it didn't have in the original build, swapped out hard drives and DVD drives. The 5,1 Mac Pro wa designed for maximum access to the guts.

BelairPlayer and fezz parka like this.
  13. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

You're using a macpro, try that with an iMac.
    And even with the macpro you're still limited as to what the OS can run (drivers).
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201805 <-- that's a bare looking cupboard isn't it.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  14. SonOfLerome

it does void warranty though.

15. SonOfLerome

and how much has that cost you?

16. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

I blame Tim Cook, the phony who never dropped acid in his life, unlike Jobs, who could make mac OSX so intuitive that it doesn't even offend Jobs' sensibilities when he was high. The white guy from Half Baked could probably navigate Snow Leopard.
    Steve Jobs was a lot of things, but never tacky.

17. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

SonOfLerome likes this.
  18. SonOfLerome

19. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

The MacOS is *nix (and Next) based just like Linux, the difference the amount of devs and programmers involved.
    Apple throws a lot of money at their OS.

I also do not like Apple's security updating method, if you're using the latest OS then you get security updates, but the further back you go in versions the less any security update is available.

As far as windows goes... Bill Gates doesn't strike me as artistic or the kind of creative I relate to... and quite possibly the worst choice of spokesman for vaccines ever made.

edro likes this.
  20. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Meh, people get what they like and that's fine, I couldn't justify that price but others can.

SonOfLerome likes this.