Are Strat weight differences of only a few ounces noticeable to you?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jul 1, 2020.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

4 ounce difference can be felt by me.

2. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I wish the following source had references to primary literature, but it suggests that for perceiving the difference in heaviness between two objects, the threshold considered "just noticeable" is about 2%. Also noted is that there will be individual differences, with some of us more/less sensitive than others (as well as differences from one occasion to another). All of this seems fairly consistent with reports in this thread.

https://psychology.jrank.org/pages/353/Just-Noticeable-Difference.html

I do wish I could find the original data, as it feels like we're reinventing a wheel here (this was studied much more carefully than we're doing, long ago), but maybe this approximation is good enough for our purposes? Applied to a 7 lb guitar, the 2% figure suggests the average person can just barely notice a difference of about 2.25 oz, or about 2.50 oz for an 8 lb guitar.

Interestingly, we're more highly attuned to differences in weight (2% JND) than loudness (4.8%) or brightness (7.9%).

dirocyn and CalicoSkies like this.
  3. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

For many years I only played my 'heavy' natural finish 72 Strat. In 95 I got a MIJ 68 reissue.... basswood, too light, it felt like a toy....I didn't keep it.
    I hold 20 lb dumbells and shrug my shoulders to strengthen the muscles.....the weight of a guitar does not bother me at all.

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I can tell a half pound sure but I’m probably not the best judge. When two of my guitars weigh the same, I still think one is slightly heavier. I weighed 3 strats for another discussion and I was certain the black strat that weighs 7.2 lbs weighed more than the sunburst that weighs 7.2 lbs.

995A67C9-3CDE-4D7F-BFFC-7426F6DF6315.jpeg 4F5BE0EC-8B0A-49FD-B8E4-B4DFC84E49F9.jpeg 35F5533E-F4C1-46BB-B8F5-641C66DC741F.jpeg

5. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The 2% may be accurate for "first impression" just picking up two items.
    But despite what I said earlier about my 10lp LP vs 8lb Strat, a small amount can make a difference hanging from your shoulder for a couple of hours.

Ruscio likes this.
  6. Thymatronic

Thymatronic Strat-Talk Member

Not a chance. And I think anyone claiming to be able to notice a few ounces in either direction is delusional, and would never do better than chance in a blind test.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  7. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

Odd, I’ve never weighed my guitars. I notice which ones I perceive as heavier and which are lighter, but that rarely defines which one I play. The lightest guitar I think I ever owned was a Parker Nitefly, and right now that is in the hands of one of my grandsons (because I so rarely played it, and he is small, and it is light).

8. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Agreed!

9. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, no kidding. My number 1 guitar from the 80’s that I played in my band from the early 80’s to the mid 2000’s weighed about 10 lbs.

When I visited a massage therapist about my neck and shoulders, he wondered why my left shoulder and left peck was much more defined than the right and my right bicep was much more defined than the left but the left forearm was really defined. He also noticed the left shoulder could roll forward but the right was quite rigid. I couldn’t understand the cause either. My wife piped up and said do you think the last 30 years playing guitar might have something to do with it :rolleyes:

CB91710, chicago slim and Dougeryb like this.
  11. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

If we are talking a pound or more, then yeah.

In the OPs situation, I'd go with the best sounding one.

SAguitar likes this.
  12. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Rule No. 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Rule No. 2: It's all small stuff.

And no, I won't be able to tell the difference of care about a few ounces. I can eat a good dinner and weigh 2-3 pounds heavier the next day.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

I can feel the weight difference between my CIJ/MIJ #1 strats and my retired MIA strat and the difference is about 200g.

It's hard to do a blind test but I can feel the weight difference every single time.

Still, I don't think I would easily notice any difference if it was less than 150-200gr or so and that's ONLY after I would have picked both instruments, the one after the other so I had a reference point I to remember.

Obviously, everytime I pick up my bass - a 4 string Ibanez SR300 - which happens to be at least half a kilo ligher than any of my guitars the difference is night and day and nobody would ignore it.

Same thing with a Parker I tried out some time ago which was just a a little bit more than 3Kg and that's more than half a kilo less than any of my guitars' weight.

I think it's different for anybody just like any other thing that has to do with "sensing" and "feeling" stuff.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I like em as light as I can get em. I have a custom Strat coming in tomorrow thats 6lbs. :)

15. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

Every time weight is mentioned I think of my 79, ill have to dig it out haven't seen it for ages,

CB91710 likes this.
  16. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I think my '78 was pushing 12lbs.
    '79 Anniversary was a fair amount lighter, but still above 9.

garyhoos1 likes this.
  17. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Unless we are talking ribeye steak. Im sending it back to the kitchen if they short me 3oz!

18. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

My MIA Strat does seem a little heavier to me than my Indonesian Bullet Strat, but it isn't something I think about much. Never went to the trouble of weighing them.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

My favorite Tele is my lightest guitar. My HB Junior may actually be the heaviest, but I don't have a scale so I don't know what the Jr weighs exactly. I love both guitars.

All of my others seem pretty close to each other, somewhere between the Tele and the Jr.

20. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talker

My shoulder notices anything that weighs more than 7.5 pounds.

Other than that, I don't notice any difference in sound on a Strat.