1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Are the fender american ultra guitars worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stefan272, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Stefan272

Stefan272 Strat-Talk Member

Hi! I saved up some money and i was looking to buy a nice guitar for myself a strat or a les paul .
    After some research i found out my budget cant buy a good les paul for my tase so i started looking at strats and i found out about the american ultra guitars from fender and i was thincking about buying one.
    Is it worth it?
    And can i use a costum metal pickguard without destoing its tone?

Stratafied and Danny D like this.
  2. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talk Member

Salut!

I have not played the Ultra models – but I am sure they are great guitars... if you do not mind me asking – what is your budget, roughly? Because the Ultra is quite expensive – I think you could get a Les Paul Classic for less, and they are quite nice? Or there are American Standard / American Professional Fender models that might suit your taste?

I'm sure somebody will come along and offer more advice on the Ultra :)

Stefan272 and Danny D like this.
  3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Have you checked the used market? Lots of Les Paul's to be had for good price.

Ultra series is absolutely a work horse, guitars perfect for working professionals. Very versatile and great quality. You can't go wrong with them.

TremoloJoe, Stefan272 and Danny D like this.
  4. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

Sooooo, I can't speak of the American Ultra specifically, but maybe what I have to say isn't entirely useless.

I recently bought a 99 American Deluxe Strat & 98 American Standard Strat. The playing experience isn't much different & I seem to prefer the Standard. Quality wise there's not much difference between these 2 & I suspect that will be similar with the Ultra, so it will really come down to if you really like the features of the Ultra.

It looks like the Ultra does have a significantly different neck (compound radius neck) which probably is very nice. I wouldn't order one without laying my hands on one first.

I realize that my Deluxe has the oldest version of the Vintage Noiseless pickups & the Ultra has the latest, but in general I don't like Noiseless pickups. None of the ones I tried actually sound or react like true single coil pickups.

Before laying out that much I'd want to put one through its paces.

Another thing to consider is resale value. The Ultra will not hold its value like a Les Paul would.

In my case, I paid the exact same price for both even the Deluxe started out significantly higher & I don't think that's uncommon.

Danny D and Stefan272 like this.
  5. Stefan272

I once played a american ultra telecaster and it felt right but i was in my "TRUE METALHEAD" phase and i didn t buy it
    I m not thincking about selling this guitar i want to have a number one you Know?A les paul would be nice but i m only a fan of the silver burst and black beauty and those are very out of my price range and i could nt find any near me so even if i d buy one from ebay most of the sellers wont ship it to me anyway

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Check this out my friend....this is worth EVER PENNY at 800 bucks....just sounds almost the same as the Gibson.....and quality is exceptional! Don't let country of manufacture matter in your decision....

[​IMG]

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIFM5161/Joe-Bonamassa-Black-Beauty-Les-Paul-Custom/Ebony

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/ngd-joe-bonamassa-58-black-beauty.554685/

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. Stefan272

Well my budget is around 2500 euros and i looked at some les paul models but i m not a big fan of their colors i would buy a black beauty les paul or a silver burst and those are rare and expensive .In my country i dont think there are any .I played a ultra telecaster and it felt good i like the neck the most thin yet not to skinny if you know what i mean?!

J4ME5 likes this.
  8. Stefan272

Thanks i saw a lot of good rewies about the ultra series .And also,in my country there aren t many gibson les pauls and there are close to none that i like i prefer a black beauty or a silverburst and those are out of the question

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  9. Stefan272

Thx i know its kind of a stupid question but would it be a dumb thing to buy a gibson sticker and put it over the epiphone one?

10. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

I also have a 98 American Deluxe Telecaster. You'd think the American Deluxe Strats & Teles would be similar but they are different. The Tele has the 12" radius the neck is so much nicer to play.

I imagine the Strat Ultra is just as nice but I'd want to play it first.

What about a Les Paul Custom Classic? They have a similar look to the "Black Beauty" but often can be found for a lot less. Pretty sure they also came in SilverBurst.

Here's my Custom Classic which I added a Bigsby to.

IMG_20201004_175029.jpg
    Bought it for $1200 CAD. Though that's obviously lower than usual I think $2400 CAD is common.

Stefan272 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

YES.....there is no need. Epiphone is great, Squier is great...if you need it to say Gibson or Fender I can't help you sorry, but I save a LOT of money and only buy Epiphone and Squier and the 2020 quality is better than ever before - I have the set neck 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV yellow....and love it....

That Bonamassa black beauty has a really big neck...which I love!

12. Stefan272

In my country most of the les paul i ve seen on marketplaces look very suspect in my country there are a lot of fake watches and fake jewellery and stuff like that so i dont think i can find one If ask for the serial number of the guitar the owner ussualy says you ll se it when you pay so you can see that it s not a fair exchange

13. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talk Member

Cool – thank you, that is a good budget – maybe not for the Les Pauls you like – but it is still very good! And speaking of silverbursts... what about the Mercury American Professional II released TWO days ago – it has a similar enough-ish vibe? In a way – it's pretty cool...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...medium=organicsocial&utm_campaign=SOCIALMEDIA

Good luck with the hunt – I am sure the right guitar will come along soon! :) !

Stratafied and Stefan272 like this.
  14. Stefan272

Thx !Does the black beauty have a C shape neck

15. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

That's not true at all. Take a look at sold listings on Fender Ultras both Telecaster and Strats and you'll see that they hold their value very well. Even the ones made in 90s, not only do they hold their value well they're sought after and more expensive than the new ones made today.

Altho the ones made today are somewhat different from the 90s series, it's still great guitars. It's a great updated version of the 90s series

16. Stefan272

Thx!I didn t even knwo about this guitar even tho i saw videos about the new fender line

Guitarmageddon and J4ME5 like this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

No, it's a very large 50s D profile neck, like .900" or so at first fret and about 1 inch at 12th fret....

18. Stefan272

Yes it a very nice guitar and the price as also very good but in my region the guitars made in america are a lot more expensive and that s always a huge deal cause nobody would sell their black beauty for even 3500 euros without the case and paperwork

19. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

Yeah, that would make it harder. You pretty much need to buy new or at least from a reputable store & pay those prices.

Stefan272 likes this.
  20. Stefan272

Yep and to even see a gibson in real life in a store i would need to cross the border because i never actualy seen a gibson in a romanian music store not even on their site