Are there too many ways of sending a text message?

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
The reason I ask is that my wife told me last night that a friend had posted a message on my iPhone. I looked on Messages. Nope. WhatsApp. Not there either. Must be my email. Er... no. I eventually found his message on the FaceBook message app. What's the point?

When it was just email, at least you could file correspondence by topic, find all messages from one person etc. Now, it's all over the pace, even though they're all doing much the same thing.

Or am I just old and confused?

Martian Eye

Strat-Talker
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I'm trying to be mean, but yes.

On the message notification it shows the messaging platform. If you happen to discard the notification that's just 3 different apps to check (email is not text messaging). Takes like 2 minutes.

monte merrick

Most Honored Senior Member
The reason I ask is that my wife told me last night that a friend had posted a message on my iPhone. I looked on Messages. Nope. WhatsApp. Not there either. Must be my email. Er... no. I eventually found his message on the FaceBook message app. What's the point?

When it was just email, at least you could file correspondence by topic, find all messages from one person etc. Now, it's all over the pace, even though they're all doing much the same thing.

our website has a prominently displayed phone number which leads to at least an answering machine that gets responded to very quickly, if we dont actually pick up (which we do during business hours) yet people still leave us facebook messages and send messages to our [email protected] email about animals in jeopardy! the chances of seeing those messages in a timely fashion are long, especially compared to the speed we respond to actual phone calls... it's very annoying... how stupid are people that they cant recognize an emergncy and call the emergency number? i answer emails after dark, when all the daily fires have been put out... do they think we have someone sitting on a computer just waiting, like an AI chatbot? but it is also true that the average person in my region is dumber than a box of rocks. (hippies and ranchers, neither noted for their intellectual prowess)

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
In the old days we would have loved to have the ability to have a portable phone handy at all times. If we were really living our Jetsons fantasy, we hoped for a video phone to communicate face to face. Now that we've had that for some time, what's our primary means of communicating? Typing little messages with our thumbs. 🙄:D

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
In the old days we would have loved to have the ability to have a portable phone handy at all times. If we were really living our Jetsons fantasy, we hoped for a video phone to communicate face to face. Now that we've had that for some time, what's our primary means of communicating? Typing little messages with our thumbs. 🙄:D

That's because we've finally gotten to "the future" and many of us realize that "the future" totally blows.

In the immortal words of Leonard Cohen, "I've seen the future, baby. And it is murder."

CalicoSkies

Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
I think you have a point. There are multiple apps you can use to send a text message, and sometimes it can be confusing to keep track of where someone sent you a message. But I suppose it can be a good thing. When you're unable to send a text message via SMS, that's where apps like WhatsApp etc. can come in.

Sometimes I miss the instant messaging apps I used to use on my computer, such as Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger (though I never actually used AOL), ICQ, etc.. There were people I had met online and kept in touch with on those apps, but it seems most of those services are gone now. My contact lists on those apps thus disappeared too. And when Microsoft moved their MSN Messenger to Skype, somehow my MSN Messenger contact list disappeared. Most of those had smartphone apps too, but they're all gone. Other messenger apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc. don't seem quite the same, as some of those older messengers had features like discovering people to talk to, which the newer messaging apps don't have.

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
How many guitar forums are there? Use the ones you like. Ignore the rest.

That doesn't work when a friend randomly chooses one of at least four ways to send you a message, and different friends seem to prefer different platforms. What an I supposed to do? Ditch the friends who use platforms I don't like? :confused:

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
That's because we've finally gotten to "the future" and many of us realize that "the future" totally blows.

In the immortal words of Leonard Cohen, "I've seen the future, baby. And it is murder."

At the risk of firmly cementing myself in the old man camp, we ain't seen nothing yet and I want no part of it. AI, the Metaverse, etc...that's the downfall of humanity as we know it. Hopefully I'll have checked off the planet before things get too crazy! :D

Now excuse me...I have some butter to churn!

knh555

Dec 6, 2016
Massachusetts
yeah the environment in which we operate, artificial as it is, is never to blame, never needs correction, it's always the user's fault or responsibility..

I’m not going to dramatically change the environment, but rather find my best path through it that works for me. That’s why I’ve closed down accounts on platforms I no longer use. If someone wants to send me a message, it’s not on me to hunt them down.

simoncroft

Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I'm trying to be mean, but yes.

On the message notification it shows the messaging platform. If you happen to discard the notification that's just 3 different apps to check (email is not text messaging). Takes like 2 minutes.

Yeah, but that's two minutes I wouldn't have to waste, and I don't want constant message notifications on my phone. It drives me nuts, because so many of them are about nothing particularly urgent or important. Basically, it's wasting my life.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA