Are there too many ways of sending a text message?

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Well, the term 'text message' denotes a text sent from one mobile phone number to another.....

So, your friend, or someone else was using the wrong terms.....

That's not your fault

They should have said 'facebook message'

stratology

Strat-Talker
Apr 8, 2007
Ireland
it's just technology and capitalism at work. No particular malice or evil is required for people and organizations to notice ways to get rich.

Yes, exactly.

That's also why I mentioned Signal and iMessage.

Signal comes from a non-profit organisation, and is open source.

iMessage comes from Apple, which make money primarily by selling hardware - which means, they do not need to compromise privacy to make a profit - once you start using the Messages app, you have already paid for the iPhone or Mac.
So Apple can use privacy as a differentiating feature and business advantage against the competitors whose business model is based on the 'customer as a product' and who are exploiting private data to make money with advertising.
Google and Meta (>Facebook) are advertising companies, that's their main source of income.

Martian Eye

Strat-Talker
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I'm trying to be mean, but yes.

On the message notification it shows the messaging platform. If you happen to discard the notification that's just 3 different apps to check (email is not text messaging). Takes like 2 minutes.
I just realized I said I'm trying to be mean. I meant I'm NOT trying to be mean lol.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
The reason I ask is that my wife told me last night that a friend had posted a message on my iPhone. I looked on Messages. Nope. WhatsApp. Not there either. Must be my email. Er... no. I eventually found his message on the FaceBook message app. What's the point?

When it was just email, at least you could file correspondence by topic, find all messages from one person etc. Now, it's all over the pace, even though they're all doing much the same thing.

Or am I just old and confused?
It Is absolutely mind numbing to try and conduct any guitar business through messaging apps such as Facebook or Instagram. It makes it impossible for me to keep track of stuff as soon as someone starts asking me a million questions through these social media sites. I have a phone number and I have email. Stick to that and I’m good, but as soon as I have start keeping track of a bunch of different messages in different apps I lose track of everything.

Bcorig

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2018
Chino Hills CA
The reason I ask is that my wife told me last night that a friend had posted a message on my iPhone. I looked on Messages. Nope. WhatsApp. Not there either. Must be my email. Er... no. I eventually found his message on the FaceBook message app. What's the point?

When it was just email, at least you could file correspondence by topic, find all messages from one person etc. Now, it's all over the pace, even though they're all doing much the same thing.

Old and confused? We were separated at birth!!!!

JB74

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
ɹǝpunuʍop

Si,

Get rid of FB account, then there's no issue.
Then get rid of WhatsApp - the second biggest security threat to your privacy.
Both of these are compromised software which does you no good whatsoever.

Just use your messages app. You can link your email addresses to your icloud account and it will receive and send should a sender use your email address (and not your phone number).
If your email addresses are all linked, then the chances of you receiving spam messages are also greater - not as bad as via FB messenger or WhatsApp, but the problem will still exist to a lesser extent.

Eventually you may wish to remove certain email addresses from your icloud account, and then the incoming message volume will subside.

It is a purposeful process, which puts you at one step above the meaningless drivel that have no wish to use their brain. You don't need to communicate with those people who CBF'd.

Put it another way - if they NEED to get in touch, they will find a way. If their communication is pointless or not urgent, it can wait until it becomes a priority for them to make sure they establish a dialogue - it is not your obligation to make sure that you are contactable by the entire population.

If people only took a minute to really dig and understand how their apathy towards privacy and personal security puts them in a very vulnerable position (i.e. only a matter of time) then there'd be a more active stance towards the social media corp and those who bankroll it for the kickback of shared private data.

stay the eff away from FB and whatsapp. It's not in your best interest. Same with IG tiktok and all the other niche platforms.
We are on a set course with the stripping of all privacy, and those who take the time now to obfuscate their data, will be much better off. Everyone else will be an easy target. (they already are)

stratology

Strat-Talker
Apr 8, 2007
Ireland
Si,

Get rid of FB account, then there's no issue.
Then get rid of WhatsApp - the second biggest security threat to your privacy.
Both of these are compromised software which does you no good whatsoever.

Just use your messages app. You can link your email addresses to your icloud account and it will receive and send should a sender use your email address (and not your phone number).
If your email addresses are all linked, then the chances of you receiving spam messages are also greater - not as bad as via FB messenger or WhatsApp, but the problem will still exist to a lesser extent.

Eventually you may wish to remove certain email addresses from your icloud account, and then the incoming message volume will subside.

It is a purposeful process, which puts you at one step above the meaningless drivel that have no wish to use their brain. You don't need to communicate with those people who CBF'd.

Put it another way - if they NEED to get in touch, they will find a way. If their communication is pointless or not urgent, it can wait until it becomes a priority for them to make sure they establish a dialogue - it is not your obligation to make sure that you are contactable by the entire population.

If people only took a minute to really dig and understand how their apathy towards privacy and personal security puts them in a very vulnerable position (i.e. only a matter of time) then there'd be a more active stance towards the social media corp and those who bankroll it for the kickback of shared private data.

stay the eff away from FB and whatsapp. It's not in your best interest. Same with IG tiktok and all the other niche platforms.
We are on a set course with the stripping of all privacy, and those who take the time now to obfuscate their data, will be much better off. Everyone else will be an easy target. (they already are)

I wish it was that easy.

I do completely agree with you on everything - I stopped using FB long ago, and try to avoid WhatsApp and FB Messenger whenever possible.

But there are still lots of people who use WhatsApp or Messenger as their default messaging app. When you want to be reachable by them, you need to be on these services, even if you despise these services as much as I do...

And most people are not technical. When you start talking to them about encryption and cross-application tracking cookies, their eyes glaze over - which is completely understandable. As an end user who just wants to communicate with friends, you should not be required to understand the underlying tech to avoid having your private data abused - 'private date' including non-obvious things, like your location when you send a message.

And there are cultural and geopolitical differences. Here in the EU, privacy is taken more seriously than in the US.

But - most politicians are non-technical, to put it mildly. Which means that even well meant privacy measures they put into law, like GDPR here in Europe, end up as a complete, annoying, ineffective, horrible mess for end users.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
I neither send nor receive 'texts'.
If it's something that requires using the text messaging in my rarely used "emergency" cell phone, then I reluctantly text.

That said, I mostly do NOT text anything to anyone.

I decided to draw the line years ago about how many websites and apps and such I was going to deal with, and I refused to join Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tik-tok, etc.

I still use email for most of my digital communication...and I even still use a landline - and it still has a cord, not a wireless phone.

Honestly I do not feel like I'm missing anything in life by not having these so-called necessities.

BuddhaFingas

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 16, 2019
Chino Hills, CA
That's because we've finally gotten to "the future" and many of us realize that "the future" totally blows.

In the immortal words of Leonard Cohen, "I've seen the future, baby. And it is murder."

Many people today view having an actual, real-time, first-person, full-bandwidth voice conversation with another person to be a very heavy commitment of time and attention.

Texting is a way of distancing from that. Probably not a very healthy one, but a very popular one.

Heck, I remember as a teen-ager longing for (and not having) a telephone I could use in my home that was actually in a private space, and not wired to the wall in the kitchen.

Now we all carry video-capable two way telephones in our pockets, and it's damn rare to actually to talk to someone on them - - much less video chat, which still creeps a lot of people out.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I manage a small team of engineers. Some like to be phoned up, some prefer WhatsApp or text, most ignore emails until I contact them some other way to get them to respond. At least most of my friends seem to use WhatsApp, so that makes it easier when out of work...thankfully I'm finishing work in just over 2 weeks time. :)

I can't help noticing that in work environments, text tends to be preferred over phone when the sender is delaying, or avoiding some of the issues round the subject. That way, it takes several exchanges before it's established that a) yes, the server is still down, b) you're not exactly sure why, c) you didn't put enough resource into resolving the matter... all of which would be revealed in a five-minute phone call. :mad:

stratology

Strat-Talker
Apr 8, 2007
Ireland
...I remember that when I worked in IT, we would message (iMessage) the person sitting 5 meters away, instead of going over to talk.

JB74

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
ɹǝpunuʍop
My current favourite is google advertising the chromebook as a 'secure' platform.

nothing further from the truth. Owners paying advertisers to "secure" their privacy ;)

iepcorneh

New Member!
May 3, 2022
USA
It's easy for me to reply to different people in different apps. Notifications always show the app where you've been texted to. You just have to click on the notification icon, and the app will automatically take you to the correspondence.

I have a lot of apps where I correspond with different people: Whatsapp, Facebook, iMessage, Telegram, and Instagram. I have never missed a single message in all my apps. By the way, I advise you to be more careful if strangers write to you and receive sms online on unfamiliar websites

Last edited:

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
As a kid I always liked to play "Hide & Seek". Maybe you could look at as if it is a game.
I play that with most everything I own at some time or another.

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
My mother could not get the term "texted", it just made no sense to her...

But, no one sends texts to your phone...they send a message from an app (once called a program) on their phone to an app on your phone.

but...sorry, that has no bearing what-so-ever on whether or not you're old and confused.