Are you Monogamous?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by liam_66, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Many guitars!!! One Amp!!! One WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two out of three ain't bad!!!

2. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I have owned as many as 75 at one time, and as few as two over the last ten years or so. I have a very srv relationship. I've got my first wife, it's my first choice, it covers so much ground and just sings/screams/moans/whispers when I want it to.

But I have 11 other guitars that do different things right now and I don't want to sell any. I've got two Gibson Les pauls, one scalloped and standard. I've got 3 strats, hsh, hss +sustaininc, baratone, à full hollow seven string, a Fernandes sustainer model, an acoustic, a standard tele....basically all fill different nitches. But greeny takes it 90% of the time.

3. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I guess I'm a guitar/amp slut.

4. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker Silver Member

Ima total ho...

5. Flapjack

Flapjack Strat-Talker

1 electric guitar, one amp for me. I'm a minimalist, perhaps to a fault.

elduderinoTF likes this.
  6. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

I have a bunch, but tend to have a favorite that I play exclusively. For the last almost 2 years, it's been my Doc Fisher. I've got some killer guitars, including a Fender Custom Shop, but every time I pick one up I think, "That's nice, but not as nice as the Doc Fisher."

7. Neilshane

Neilshane Strat-Talk Member

Gibson ES-335 1958 VOS reissue and a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb. Perfection!

8. Builder 2010

Builder 2010 Strat-Talk Member

I was monogamist until I sold my beloved Fender Showman in 1972. Years elapsed until 1992 and I bought my Fender Strat Deluxe Plus which I still have and is perfect and a Fender Champ SE hybrid amp also which I still have. I became a "cheater" when I got another Gibson ES-175D to replace the other love I had and sold in the early 70s and along with it a VOX VT-30 sampling amp which satisfied the need to buy a bunch of pedals. I'd like to get an SG so I can duplicate Clapton's perfect riff on "Crossroads" at the
    Fillmore.

Fi[​IMG]

Cokeman likes this.
  9. skiadikt

skiadikt New Member!

monogamous since 1966 when i got my gibson es-330. also have a ibanez joe pass model and ibanez IMG-2010 midi guitar but the gibson's been my baby for 55 yrs. all that changed when i got my strat ultra back in july. luv it. will get even better when i get the new pickguard and move that damn volume control :).

10. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I'm pretty far from "monogamous." Currently over 50 guitars, around 15 tube amps, a few non-tube amps (or hybrids) and half a dozen modelers, plus a number of power amps and both powered and unpowered full-range speaker cabinets.

I can't speak to "need," but there it is.

tooter007 likes this.
  11. tooter007

tooter007 Strat-Talk Member

Sometimes I wish I was, I played more then. A pawn shop $300 Kramer Baretta, Crate G40C, cable, my first 10 years of playing that was all I had and was happy. Nowadays I'm stepping over gear to get to my amps.....sigh....

12. bonzisouth

bonzisouth New Member!

13. bonzisouth

bonzisouth New Member!

2014 Fender American Standard Strat and Fender Blues Junior III.

14. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

I love them all but can't stay with just one.

15. tptmnc

tptmnc Strat-Talk Member

Years ago I had five electrics, one acoustic, and three amps, ( a Super, a Bandmaster head/212 cab, and a Peavey valveking combo). Now, one strat, a les paul standard, an acoustic, a super sonic 22 combo, and a deluxe VM combo, ( 22 and 40 watt amps). Covers anything I need to do.

16. oXyCoDiZzLe

oXyCoDiZzLe New Member!

Pink Pups is an ESP with invaders.
    Squier HS Blackout with ESP passive EMG.
    Squier Bullet with ESP LH150Pup
    White fender custom

Attached Files:

17. MusicManD

MusicManD Strat-Talk Member

I have hoarding tendencies. At one point, I had an entire room filled with cheap guitars, crappy sounding amps, and 2-3 low-quality drumsets. I finally established a couple of rules for myself, primarily that I will only buy something if I can identify a very specific need. The need can be convenience (hence my ridiculous number of capos) or variety (my ridiculous number of slides), but it has to be legitimate. If I don't have the need anymore, or if the piece of gear doesn't get used for a year or more, it goes up for sale. That often results in me selling gear and then buying similar gear again a year or two later, but it keeps me from just having storage rooms full of garbage.

With that said, I have four electrics. Les Paul, Strat, Tele, and a P-90 Junior-style Reverend. I've tried to have a Gretsch style (Epiphone Emperor Swingster), but the feel and tone never got me anywhere that I couldn't get with my other guitars. I had a Variax, which was nifty, but at the time I wasn't doing a lot of home recording and didn't need it live, so it had to go.

I have one "real" amp - a Traynor YCV40WR... basically a Fender with some hair. As much as I love that amp (and it's an exception to my rule because I haven't used it seriously in ages), I've moved fully into modeling gear because it makes more sense for the gigs I play. I justify keeping it because I don't want to have to bring an FRFR and a modeler to something like a jazz or straight up blues gig. Plus, some things are too important to ever sell.

I've got three "normal" acoustic guitars - my #1 (Gibson J15), my old D-Standard Harmony, and an Alvarez my wife uses to teach a guitar class. I have three basses - a 5 string, a 4 string, and a fretless U-Bass. I also have several specialty instruments - mandolin, bouzouki/octave mandolin, banjo, ukulele, resonator - but only one of each; the rules won't allow for multiple unless I have a specific need and I don't.

I went from zero drum sets about three months ago to two sets thanks to some Youtube and recording needs in the new house. I had previously sold my really nice drumset because it had been in cases for two years while we rented and didn't have any space to set them up.

I sold a full PA and lighting rig and now I'm slowly but surely rebuilding the rig, based on what I need right now but with an eye for what I could use in the future as restrictions loosen and I can put another band together.

I say all of THAT to say that my gear choices have nothing to do with brand or type of guitar. In fact, I'm not at all likely to buy a second Strat or second Tele unless I have a very specific need. Maybe I buy a Squier to be a permanent Nashville tuning guitar (I've thought seriously about a Mini Strat for that purpose). Maybe I buy one of those Cabronita Baritones if I can get a good deal. Maybe I'll decide that a Thinline Deluxe Tele is significantly different from my Les Paul or that a Jazzmaster really is different enough to justify buying. I've avoided buying any more Gibsons/Epiphones because they either sound like my Les Paul to my ears or just don't feel good.

18. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

"A man has got to know his limitations!"

"One is never enough."

"Can I try that guitar over there?"

"Does the tracking show a morning or afternoon delivery?"

19. MountainMike

MountainMike Strat-Talk Member

I am, as far as each guitar is concerned. ;)

liam_66 likes this.
  20. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If one electric and one acoustic is monogamous, I was for a very very long time. But I’ve always had one of each, so if not…

These days I’m almost monogamous with electrics - I have two electrics but I play my strat about 90-95% of my electric playing time. I have an SG with P90s for those times I just GOTTA have that P90 sound. Doesn’t happen often, but it comes on strong when it does. I have two acoustics and I play both of em a ton, so no way I’m monogamous there. Don’t wanna be either. Love them both more or less equally, depending on the day. One rosewood, one mahogany, gotta have both.

so, used to be, but today I can’t claim guitar monogamy. In life, I 36 years married and stone cold faithful…

-Ray