Join Strat-Talk Today

Arise Sir Geoffrey Boycott

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Alan Crossley, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

One of England’s greatest cricketer has been recognised for his contributions to the sport.

For those not familiar with this honour, a knighthood is a title that is given by the Queen in recognition of service, in this case sport, to his Country. Having been knighted, the recipient (men only ~ with an alternative for women) is then entitled to prefix his name with the title “Sir”.

Sir Geoffrey Boycott OBE is a former England cricketer. In a prolific and controversial playing career from 1962 to 1986, Boycott established himself as one of England's most successful opening batsmen. Since retiring as a player, he has pursued a successful career as a cricket commentator.

I am personally delighted to learn of this award. Sir Geoffrey started his cricket career in a small town in Yorkshire, Ackworth, before moving on to play for Barnsley, Yorkshire and England. My own cricket “career” also started in Ackworth, although my team was the school team and I didn’t have the talent to match my ambitions.

Congratulations Sir Geoffrey.

3bolt79 and Boognish like this.
  2. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

"Arise!" - which is apparently what he said to his girlfriend after he knocked her over.

3bolt79 and Alan Crossley like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

[​IMG]

4. Alan Crossley

He said that he didn’t do it. He’s a Yorkshire man and his word is good enough for me!

Thrup'ny Bit and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

For those of us not very familiar with this honor, what does the suffix OBE stand for? And would you formally call him Sir Geoffrey or Sir Boycott?

6. Alan Crossley

Yes, you would address him as Sir Geoffrey, although he’s a very down to earth man who would be happy with Geoffrey. The OBE is the third highest ranking medal of recognition and stands for Order of the British Empire.

Different people win different awards depending what they have done. The decision about who gets an honour - and the type of honour they get - is made by a special committee. The committee's decisions go to the prime minister and then, finally, to the Queen to check it.

The honours were created in 1917 by King George V during the First World War as a way of rewarding civilians and servicemen in support positions for their contribution to the war effort. My Grandfather was awarded the OBE after a citation by Winston Churchill, which is hung on the wall here at home.

3bolt79 and Boognish like this.
  7. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

That's really cool about your grandfather! Are there any perks with it other than being called Sir? A plot of land? Free beer?

8. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I thought was was going to be a Bugs Bunny thread (arise sir Loin of Beef!).

9. Alan Crossley

No free beer, no plot of land. Business prestige

Boognish likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.