Arthritis Achy Fingers

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by JJ119, Nov 20, 2020 at 5:37 PM.

1. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

@Agtronic

Dr said 3 yrs ago X Rays of my upper neck and left arm show arthritis.
    He did NOT say, at the time, anything about if it was just starting or what I should // could persue if things start getting sore.
    I had taken some Bayer Back & Body pills a time or 2 a week since then.

2. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

Arthritis is VERY common - you are not alone!
    If you've got it, you've got it - always.

This is what helped me -
    1) Stop eating potatoes! They are from the nightshade family of plants.
    2) Take a break form red meat (beef, pork, lamb, venison) for one month.

Changing my diet made an immense difference to my hands. It hasn't got rid of the swelling on the joints, but they are no longer painful. If only I had known this as a child I could have avoided potatoes, but they were an almost daily vegetable for as long as I can remember.

I'm not a dietary fanatic, and I still occasionally eat red meat, and once in a while potato, but not very often. Here in Germany we have a smoked pork called Kasseler which is delicious, and goes with a special winter meal called Grünkohl (Curly Kale), but it's worth the risk!

BlueCajun, JJ119 and s5tuart like this.
  3. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing

I get to use Celebrex twice each month. The physician says once, and the pharmacist says two days in a row probably won't kill you any faster than one day per month...my kind of pharmacist!

I also use ibuprofen twice per month...against doctor's orders...she doesn't like the stuff for me..I offered to give up the arthritis instead but she wasn't buying.

Then there are daily doses of tramadol and some stronger stuff I use at night...not for the arthritis, but for the hash job a surgeon did replacing a knee. Botched it and destroyed any hope of fixing his mistake.

But, yes...the knee went south because of arthritis, well that and being a skier who was also a distance runner.

Someone here once said that one should slide at full speed side long into their grave and exclaime "holy sh*t that was fun!" or something ...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 1:10 AM
    JJ119 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  4. tukoztukoz

tukoztukoz Strat-Talker

My right pinky’s got bad arthritis. I still do hybrid picking with it, but small movements. I had cortisone injections twice, and it was fine for a few months. But I heard it’s not good to do it too often...

JJ119 likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

And getting rid of the symptoms is all they do. In the long run drug treatments can cause more serious problems than the arthritis. I've had osteoarthritis since I was a teenager, not just in my hands. the best treatment is to keep moving, stay away from drugs and quack medicines. Using painkillers to mask the symptoms whilst continuing to stress the joints is a recipe for disaster..

Big necks and 8s keep me playing most of the time.

Deafsoundguy, Bowmap, JamesE and 2 others like this.
  6. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

Chicken soup - made from the chicken carcass. may help. Chicken carcass contains collagen and cartlidge similar to human. Cartlidge doesn't regenerate in the body unless its introduced back into the body.
    My Mothers family suffer with arthritis and years of working in cold conditions and getting my ankle/knees/ hands and fingers broke from playing rugby,Im expecting to suffer with it sometime in the future

Deafsoundguy, J4ME5 and JJ119 like this.
  7. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Are you serious?
    I was on Tramadol post-surgery, 1 x 50mg, four times per day and that put me into a state approaching coma.

Deafsoundguy and jrbirdman like this.
  8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i do not have arthritis and do not know if it will help arthritis but this helped me a bunch with the physical part of playing.

almost every guitar i have ever picked up needed the nut slots lowered. when you play a guitar with the correct nut slot heights it will change you, as a guitar is so much harder to play with high slots.

check yours - fret a note at the 3rd fret and look at the space between the bottom of the string and the 1st fret, there should be only a tiny bit. if you tap on the top of the string at the 1st fret it should barely move before hitting the fret, if you have to push it down it is WAY out of calibration.

i use 8's and at first i was like a newborn deer on ice but i have developed a much softer touch and have eliminated my death grip. i will never go back up in gauge.

if i do slow methodical warmups i have no pain and almost no fatigue but if i just dive in and start playing i pay the price.

Mansonienne and JJ119 like this.
  9. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

^^^^^
    Been taking them for a few years, they slightly reduce pain but they don't affect me mentally and yes the 50mg.
    I don't take them daily and I have no addiction to them.

JJ119 and misterwogan like this.
  10. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Try some Thai Boxers liniment, or tiger balm.
    I had a bad experience with some antibiotics that cause extreme pain in my hands, they sounded like popcorn when ever I moved a finger.
    I used Thai boxers liniment Namman Muay for that, works great but be careful if you're on blood thinners.
    [​IMG]

JJ119 likes this.
  11. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

CBD cream helps my hands a lot...just saying. I don't think it heals everything, but it works on my knuckles.

.02¢

BlueCajun, jrbirdman and JJ119 like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Utter rubbish. This is why you should get medical advice from doctors, not guitar forums.

s5tuart, JJ119 and misterwogan like this.
  13. MIJ1988

MIJ1988 Strat-Talk Member

Man if you're wanting to go down to 7s you have it bad. Can I assume you are a beginner or an intermediate player as you are having lessons. Sometimes how you hold and fret the neck using poor technique will cause you to
    fight against the guitar which requires more effort, tension and stress on your hand. If U also are not relaxing your fretting hand between beats that has the same effect. You could also tune your guitar down a half step to lighten string tension. I don't have experience with jumbo frets but I heard they require slot less pressure to fret but someone else could best help you. Practising for shorter periods will also help.

Diet plays a huge part in managing arthritis. I would do research on foods that can cause arthritis. There maybe a Govt health related website in your country otherwise only follow advice from legitimate sources. Basically there are a core group of foods which you eliminate then after a time reintroduce one at a time if the pain disappears to determine exactly what is causing it. Alcohol, seafood and tomatoes are examples. I would try not to rely upon any kind of medication if practical and possible.

Regular exercise which promotes a healthy circulatory system and drinking water regularly will help too.

All the best and I hope you are able to be free of it. I had it bad during my thirties and now my hands are fine but I had to drop from 13s to 10s.

JJ119 likes this.
  14. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

Dietary Intake is something I need to take a look at. Coke, red meat, bacon, and tomato based sauce are quite regular.
    My Bride occasionally makes chicken and beef broth. Now that Winter is coming, I'll ask for chicken noodle soup a few times.

The Liniments and Balms will be looked into. Going to the Store soon.

JamesE likes this.
  15. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

tumblr_mu7jdcMjAJ1rdutw3o1_400.gif

Deafsoundguy, s5tuart, Bowmap and 2 others like this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

That sums up just about every thread on arthritis here mate. You may as well go down to 34th and Vine and pick up a bottle of Love Potion No9 too...

Deafsoundguy and JJ119 like this.
  17. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

@MIJ1988
    Correct. I am new to Lessons with Structure, rather than just to learn a couple songs, a few chords, and call it good.

18. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

So here's an experiment for you (most people can't do this so don't feel bad) eat vegan or as close to vegan as you can for 30 days.

You can buy vegan meals, or if that's too much then switch to a more vegetable, grains and nuts diet.
    For 30 days, see how you feel.

I did it, drank nothing but water and ate veges, felt great, after my 30 went out to have a burger and beer to celebrate and got indigestion.

JJ119 likes this.
  19. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

J4ME5 likes this.
  20. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

Liposomal Tumeric

JJ119 likes this.