Join Strat-Talk Today

Article on the music industry ("The Day The Music Died")

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I saw this article today about how the music industry has changed in recent years. The main argument is that Napster changed consumers' mindset for buying music.
    https://public.tableau.com/views/IronViz-TheDaytheMusicDied/TheDaytheMusicDied?:showVizHome=no
    I find it interesting that this article seems to describe Napster as some kind of viable business model.. I'm not sure how Napster originally intended to make money, as it was just a program allowing people to share music files (without paying for them). There were also the other file sharing programs that this article didn't mention (such as LimeWire, Kazaa, etc.), but I guess Napster was the first of its kind. And even before Napster, I remember there being an IRC chat channel where people could search for and download MP3s.

Also, the article says Best Buy announced in 2018 that they will no longer sell CDs. I also recently noticed that my local Fry's Electronics got rid of their movie section and aren't selling movies on DVD/blu-ray anymore. I don't remember if I saw music CDs there either.. If stores are going to stop selling music on CDs, that seems a little discouraging, as I still like to buy music on CD. I tend to rip my music to play on various devices, but I like having a hard copy as a sort of backup of the music, and I sometimes still like to look at the cover art and things like that. Also I find it a little odd that stores might stop selling CDs, when an older format such as vinyl records seem to be fairly popular these days..

I've bought some music online, and I always make a point to back it up somewhere, on an external hard drive or something. Also I like to buy it in FLAC format, since FLAC is lossless.

EDIT: I just found this article on Best Buy's announcement to stop selling music CDs:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16973538/bestbuy-target-cd-sales-vinyl-cassette
    Apparently, Best Buy already stopped selling music CDs on July 1st, 2018. I tend to buy my music CDs elsewhere, so I hadn't really noticed that from Best Buy. That article also says cassette tapes are making somewhat of a comeback?
    Jackie Chan frustrated (394x394).jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Stratbats, Mansonienne and circles like this.
  2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Best Buy?

33db likes this.
  3. CalicoSkies

Best Buy is a retail store chain that sells electronics.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/

4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Cars don't even come with CD players anymore, the format is wheezing out it's last gurgle.

When I go see a band, I might buy their vinyl if the cover art is great, but usually I just buy their USB thumbdrive or USB Card.

Hell, even the Beatles released their entire catalog in 24 bit FLAC on a single USB, back in 2009....

usb-musicians-musiccard.png 0008897052_10.jpg mgvW9VwkmEmYAdyjAr_gQE9OMRvG2UkUDg7TGxiGeNY.jpg

rocknrollrich and velvet_man like this.
  5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Was thinking about tangible objects for music storage a few weeks ago and honestly, thumbdrives seem like the way to go.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  6. vid1900

Best Buy closed all their UK stores about a year after failing miserably.

Chubbles likes this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Elvie likes this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

They do still sell a few CDs, DVDs, and a surprising (to me) selection of vinyl.

9. CalicoSkies

Cars without a CD player is fine; I tend to rip my music from my CDs anyway and use a USB drive in my car. I guess I'm just used to having an album on a physical disc/device as a sort of backup. And I didn't know music was being sold on USB drives and memory cards.. I wondered if the industry would ever go in that direction, as an alternative to buying music files online and downloading them. I thought it would be interesting to see movies & music sold in stores on USB drives and/or memory cards.. But I suppose the industry is still too worried about people copying media to do that.

I didn't know the Beatles music was released on 24 bit FLAC in 2009.. I bought the Beatles 2009 remasters on CD in 2011 or 2012. I just looked up the Beatles USB set, and Amazon says it's currently unavailable (I wonder why?).

10. CalicoSkies

Yeah, I was at my local Best Buy recently, and they seemed to have a fairly good selection of movies on 4K, standard blu-ray, and DVD. I didn't notice if they had music on CDs, but I do find it surprising that stores these days have a selection of vinyl records.

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

There's
    A
    Thief
    In every cave...
    Could be your brother...
    Could be your Mother...

TepidPilot likes this.
  12. vid1900

I'm sure that machined aluminum apple was too expensive to keep producing.

They will probably do a plastic, China apple on the next run of them.

s-lfghdfg1600.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talker

I don't see how they're staying in business here either..

14. vid1900

They exist solely on old people buying replacement batteries for their cordless landline phones.

rlongnt likes this.
  15. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

Entertainment is an industry, music is an art.

TP

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

...and you can starve to death either way.

TepidPilot and Boognish like this.
  17. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I'm in my late 40's and I still have a bunch of old cd's that I've mostly converted to mp3s or FLAC files now. I love album artwork and the large format of vinyl is attractive in that regard, as is the cd format. I enjoy both, but I'll admit that I've already become completely conditioned to the convenience factor of downloading music and sticking it in my pocket, especially because I sometimes listen to music while mountain biking or skiing or whatever.

I see a lot of jam bands and most of them are all over the option to buy a USB drive of the show right after the show, or what I typically do, they'll upload the show for download a couple of days later for about 10 bucks. There's usually some pretty cool artwork specific to their "spring tour 2019" or whatever, and in my opinion, having a permanent copy of a great live show you attended is a blast. They make a few more bucks and I get to listen to the show again any time I want.

The jam bands are on top of it because every show is so different. It wouldn't work as well for a band who's shows are kind of repetitious with the same songs every night, but it works great for jam style bands that really mix things up every night. I'm fully on board.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  18. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Ok, Mr 21st Century, just how are you going to clean your weed with a thumb drive?
    Only an LP provides that level of functionality.

19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I think this format will soon be laughably outdated.
    Physical medium is really not necessary anymore.
    Even games for the kids are just codes they punch into whatever device they want to play them on.

20. vid1900

Kids would laugh if you told them you still clean weed.

Just a Dab will do ya.....
    weed-smokers-have-started-the-crab-dab-challenge-1.jpg

Lone Woof and Boognish like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.