Join Strat-Talk Today

Article on the music industry ("The Day The Music Died")

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I don't think they need to include an apple with it, they could just sell the files on a USB drive or a download..

I'm not sure what you mean by "codes".. It's not like the late 70s or early 80s when it was common to have programming language code for a game you had to manually type into a computer before playing the game. These days you can download music, software, etc., but it still needs to be stored somewhere, on a physical disc/flash storage/etc..

2. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

1nzy0g.jpg

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Only really old people like the Beatles, so it was probably hard enough to sell them the USB apple stick: "Yes mam, you need to plug it into something. Do you have a newer car? Does it have a USB jack? No? How about a computer...."

I'm sure it was a tech support nightmare.

Hey, there is this Indian guy, sings great songs. No, not Bollywood, like regular, sensitive songs...

yesterday-the-movie-trailer-gq.jpg

4. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  5. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Sure glad somebody has products for us old people with cordless land lines!!

vid1900 likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

A dab that big will really get ya!

vid1900 likes this.
  7. CalicoSkies

Really old people? I'm 39 and I like the Beatles, am I "really old"? I also have nephews who like The Beatles..

Also I didn't know record companies did tech support for that kind of thing..

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  8. vid1900

You are past the halfway point, you are officially old.

And the fact that you publicly proclaim that you like the Beatles, actually adds years to your "true age".

When that USB apple thing came out, my local newspaper was reporting that older buyers had no idea what to do with it.

Remember, this was a decade ago.

Windows Media Player did not have native FLAC support, no young teens had $350 to buy that apple ($421 in today's dollars), and Beatles fans are old (even back then).

I got mine in Spain, and there was a warning sheet under the outside shrinkwrap telling you that you could "export" the songs as mp3s - a tech support nightmare for old people.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Napster was a short lived sensation. Mythic like the Old West gunslingers.

Apple has done much more to disrupt the music industry.

-created devices to store and play back music. The first iPod had a 40Gb physical spinning hard drive. Easy for people to carry a DJ sized portfolio of songs.

-created a music service to download singles. No more buying eleven song albums to get the one popular song. $20 down to $1 a throw.

-popularized earbuds with poor music dynamic capabilities, so the songs that became popular were beats and yelling, forget about other instruments. They even bought the beats headphone company because the sound quality and marketing became a big threat.

And yet Apple products remain popular for musicians to buy and promote ...

10. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

The key there is it was FLAC, so loseless (as you know), most of the digital music isn't anywhere near that quality.

I'm teetering close to a rant... but I have family photos over a 100 years old (old style film photos) and records my grand mother listened to.
    I wonder how many personal digital photos and music will survive even 20 years, much less 100.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  11. vid1900

I don't have a player that plays wax cylinders, yet I can still listen to those recordings.

None of my high end turntables can play 78s, but I have two 8tb drives that supposedly have "every 78 recording known to exist" for my listening pleasure.

As long as you don't encrypt your music, it will be playable forever.

12. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

If you have something to play or look at it on, nice thing about photos you don't need anything to look at them.

13. CalicoSkies

Apple didn't even create the first such device to store and play back music. Portable MP3 players like the Diamond Rio (and others) existed before the iPod. And if you're strictly just talking about "devices to store and play back music", such devices existed long before that, in the form of cassette tapes, Walkmans, etc..

Was Apple's service the first service to buy single songs?

I've never found earbuds to be comfortable.. I prefer headphones that cover the ear.

Theoretically, I'd think digital photos and music could survive a long time, as long as they're stored on a reliable medium. And they'd be in the same exact condition as they were originally, unlike physical printed photos which could deteriorate over time. Some say digital storage can deteriorate, which I suppose is true - For instance, I've heard of optical discs losing their data reliability after some number of years; but now there are "M-Disc" optical discs, which are made to last a lot longer:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
    Even with regular CDs and DVDs, etc., I've always stored them in relatively cool locations (sometimes dark locations such as inside a drawer or something) - never in direct sunlight or near a heater vent or anything like that - and I've always been able to read even old optical discs without any problems. Similarly, with USB flash drives, if they aren't exposed to any strong magnetic fields or anything like that, the data on them should survive at least until you're able to copy them to another drive.

14. vid1900

Sure.

Think of your phone. Nowadays it comes with 128g of built in memory and takes a 1tb sd card.

It will play any music format (flac, mp3, wav, mp4, ogg...)

So with 1 terabyte of storage, there is no reason you can't have your entire music collection with you at all times.

Even in the future, you know the phones will still support all the old formats plus any new ones.
    sandisk_sdsqxa1_1t00_an6ma_extreme_microsd_1tb_card_1552649111_1466566.jpg

15. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

Take a different perspective, there's no electricity.

16. vid1900

Switch your solar panels off the grid and into your battery bank.

That will give you time to transcribe all you songs onto conventional sheet music.

17. CalicoSkies

It used to seem like dedicated music players were such a nice thing, for being able to listen to music. Now we can listen to music on our phones and don't need a dedicated music player.. I know people who don't have any music on their phones though. I don't think I could go without listening to music.. I have enough storage on my phone to store my whole music collection (I have it in MP3 format on my phone, but I have FLAC backups on a hard drive, so I can always re-encode to a different format).

vid1900 likes this.
  18. vid1900

A dedicated player sounds much better, and can power most real headphones (not just earbuds).

The Pioneer XDP100 can hold 2tb of music, has an audiophile DAC, can Bluetooth into your car, and has enough jism to power 32ohm cans = $250

It's a good time to be an audiophile my friend!

pioneer_xdp-100r_1.jpg

19. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

And there we were all in one place, a generation lost in space, with no time left to start again.

20. CalicoSkies

How do you define "real headphones"? I don't use earbuds, and I tend to prefer headphones that cover the ears. Recently, for listening to music, I've been using a set of these Axceed headphones (they can plug in with a cable or use bluetooth):
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless...nd-Axceed-Stereo-Earphones-Headphon/876351207
    I often use those headphones with my smartphone to listen to music. Also, smartphones these days are able to Bluetooth into your car, and you can play music from your phone in your car.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.