Artificial “Relic” and “Roadworn” guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caythorpe

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 8, 2022
Lincolnshire, England
WHY?… I don’t understand?

I’m not implying that people shouldn’t want them, or pay for good money them… It’s not my place to tell them what to by… But I‘d really like to know what the attraction is, in having a fake relic…

I can see the point in stripping and refinishing a new poly-coated guitar with nitrocellulose.. because it feels better in my opinion.. But sanding through The finish, or beating it with chains to leave dents and scratches to make it look abused confuses me….

I’ve aged many many new parts on countless occasions, because the owners wanted me to retain the character of guitars they’ve either had for many years, had passed down to them, or bought secondhand in a worn condition, and I couldn’t agree more… It seems nonsensical to have shiny and perfect new parts, standing out like sore thumbs on a guitar that’s developed a natural “patina” from years of playing…

I’ve heard people say that It saves having to wait for 20 years for them to develop”Character” which makes no sense because most well cared for 40 year old guitars don’t look at all worn from 10 feet away…

The only reasons I can think of for buying one that’s been made to look rough and old, or deliberately “distressing” one, is to either deceive people into thinking it’s been there, done that, and never been put down… Or to give people the false impression that the owner’s played it so much, that he/she must be a great guitarist by now… And I don’t understand why anyone would want to do that either…

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium

I’m not implying that people shouldn’t want them, or pay for good money them… It’s not my place to tell them what to by… But I‘d really like to know what the attraction is, in having a fake relic…

I can see the point in stripping and refinishing a new poly-coated guitar with nitrocellulose.. because it feels better in my opinion.. But sanding through The finish, or beating it with chains to leave dents and scratches to make it look abused confuses me….

I’ve aged many many new parts on countless occasions, because the owners wanted me to retain the character of guitars they’ve either had for many years, had passed down to them, or bought secondhand in a worn condition, and I couldn’t agree more… It seems nonsensical to have shiny and perfect new parts, standing out like sore thumbs on a guitar that’s developed a natural “patina” from years of playing…

I’ve heard people say that It saves having to wait for 20 years for them to develop”Character” which makes no sense because most well cared for 40 year old guitars don’t look at all worn from 10 feet away…

The only reasons I can think of for buying one that’s been made to look rough and old, or deliberately “distressing” one, is to either deceive people into thinking it’s been there, done that, and never been put down… Or to give people the false impression that the owner’s played it so much, that he/she must be a great guitarist by now… And I don’t understand why anyone would want to do that either…
It certainly is a strange affliction, there’s no doubting that.

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA

they will mock you, but it's a valid line of inquiry - even if discussed to death already.

i love an abused-looking new guitar, but only when it's been done by me personally. then it feels like it's special, unique and wondrous just like myself. imbued with my scruffy essence. imparted with spirit of fuksman, one and only.

and not all instruments lend themselves to and benefit from abuse. show me a relic LP or PRS and i would raise your same question verbatim.

Last edited:

Tone Deaf

Stratosaurus Magnificus
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
They want to create the impression in the beholders that they’ve been down THAT road many times before
( whether or not they actually have ).

Cali Dude

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2020
California
I would generally agree with you about relics. I generally want my guitar s to look and feel clean. However, I changed that thinking when I got an Eastman E10-ssv. It was given a cool French lacquer, with warn areas. It feels great, looks cool, and plays very nicely. It's supposed to kinda be a throwback to a '60s Gibson J-45 look. But, it costs probably half of the price of the Gibson J-45 '60s edition.

MadScot

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 22, 2022
Way South Of There
I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's the feel of a well broken in guitar. If it looked new but felt broken in I would still be happy. I don't like new sharp fretboard edges etc. Of course YMMV.

Caythorpe

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 8, 2022
Lincolnshire, England
they will mock you, but it's a valid line of inquiry - even if discussed to death already.

i love an abused-looking new guitar, but only when it's been done by me personally. then it feels like it's special, unique and wondrous just like myself. imbued with my scruffy essence. imparted with spirit of fuksman, one and only.
I get the “done by me personally” view… That’s personalisation… I just don’t get the idea of paying money for one that’s been done by someone else..

Status
Not open for further replies.