As a kid, were you banished outdoors in the summer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jun 11, 2021.

1. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

I would say we were granted freedom !

Nate D, Miotch and Mouse like this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I still am.

Nate D, Daddypantz, Miotch and 3 others like this.
  3. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I'm > 40. But my kids are both < 10.

There's a range of possibilities between "helicopter" and "free range". I don't think that's what it's about. I don't think it's as simple as "good vs bad neighborhood" either, as there's plenty of folks in "good" neighborhoods that aren't kid-friendly, and the inverse with "bad" neighborhoods.

It's just a matter of being there for your kids, not shooing them away. Keeping them in safe situations, keeping them involved in things and being interested in their interests.

My kids get plenty of playtime free of direct supervision. But I always know where they are and there are rules about where they can go.

Some of the posts in here from the old school guys in here . . . they describe mothers in a way that reminds me of Friedan's "problem without a name" environment.

Nate D and Miotch like this.
  4. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master Silver Member

It was like I was being punished to have to come inside before dark when I was I kid. We had a patch of woods with a small creek in our neighborhood and all of my friends pretty much hung out there all day everyday. We were always up to something. Rope swings, bike riding, atv's and go carts. Whatever we could come up with but whatever it was, definitely was not inside by choice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  5. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Well......I wasn't banished, there just wasn't anything I wanted to do inside (until I started playing guitar).

I grew up in the Canadian countryside in the 80's/90's. We didn't have cable or satellite or internet or even radio stations that reached us with new music. I didn't grow up with a computer or a TV that got more than 4 channels (1 was a double).

My friends and I were always able to find something to do (not always on the up and up) outside. We had trees, trails bikes, dirt bikes, pellet guns, firecrackers (sometimes), rocks, rivers, RC Cars...... fun.

Daddypantz and Miotch like this.
  6. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I grew up in Southern Arizona. I was banished outdoors anytime except the summer. I was out a lot in the summer anyway, but we had to come in and cool down from time to time...

-Ray

Nate D, Miotch and Stratafied like this.
  7. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Man, I remember when left my bike outside my house one night and it was stolen. It was basically a Huffy partscaster, but it might as well been a million dollars to me...it was devastating.

I had to share my little sister’s bike until Christmas finally rolled around, which def didn’t help my street cred haha

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I loved being outside.

Got in more trouble for going out of range of their voice when they hollered an I didnt answer ..

My dad broke out the pootytang then ..lol

Nate D, rocknrollrich and Stratafied like this.
  9. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

Same, growing up in the 70s in New England. Outside all day unless it was raining.

Daddypantz, Miotch and Stratafied like this.
  10. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

Wasn't banished outside, but that's where I was, anyway.
    Gravel road heading deeper into the holler where I could bicycle and generate a really nice crop of road-rash scars;
    Mountain on the other side of the road with a broad stripe of pine forest beginning just a little ways up the hill (spent a lot of time there);
    Big empty field off at an angle to the left where I set up archery butts from the time I was 9 yo and also used for a sled run in winter;
    Massive honeysuckle thicket in an unused field behind the house where I learned to shoot by picking bees off the blossoms with an air rifle (and later a CO2 pistol);
    Stone culvert nearby where we played Evel Knievel with our bikes and added to our growing crop of scars and bruises;
    Garden across the road where we grew most of our vegetables;
    Small spring-fed pay lake a half-mile or so into the holler where I could fish for free. Used to catch soft-shelled turtles out of there sometimes.

None of it is there any longer, except maybe part of one field and the pine forest. Everything else has been built over or dozed under. The lake was just a mud puddle last time I was down there; apparently the spring that fed it has dried up. Time marches on...

Tone Deaf, Daddypantz, Miotch and 2 others like this.
  11. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Daytime
    Baseball
    Football
    Basketball
    Tennis
    Swimming
    Fishing
    Hiking
    Biking
    Mowing Lawns
    Shoveling Snow

Evenings
    Astronomy
    Girls

I usually came inside for dinner and sleep

Daddypantz and Stratafied like this.
  12. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Don’t mess with the guy on the girly bike.

Miotch, Hydr0 and Nadnitram like this.
  13. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

A bike named Sue?

Miotch, Hydr0 and Stratafied like this.
  14. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Boom!!

Hydr0, Bowmap and Nadnitram like this.
  15. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talker

My mom: "Well, You are not staying in the house today. Find something to do or I'll give you something to do!"

We were out the door in 15 seconds.

Miotch and Wayne Adams like this.
  16. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

I guess I was free-ranged. I really do not know at what age but I have memories as far back as the first grade and roaming the neighborhood outside of DC. I had boundaries. 1 block east, 1 west, 1 south and none north. My territory opened up vastly several years later, when my parents bought a house in a new medium sized sub-division in Glen Burnie, MD. I was not to go beyond the power lines a 1/2 miles to the east, beyond the woods to the north and west and no further south the section 1 of the subdivision. I had friends at the extremes of the sub-division. A bold stream to wade up and down through catching minnows and turning every flat rock I found looking for crayfish. A big ole sand lot for playing football or baseball. There where several forts built in the woods with 'scrap' lumber from the various homes under construction. I once got an industrial spool of thread. Of course I had the circumnavigate the neighborhood to see how far I could go before it ran out.

Good memories @LPBlue . Good thread. BUT, the universal golden rule still applied, my attendance at dinner was mandatory.

Miotch likes this.
  17. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

I never really heard the origin story, but an acquaintance of mine from the hometown has ridden a dusty pink Harley-Davidson panhead for years.

Nobody laughs... :cool:

Miotch and Stratafied like this.
  18. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

When I was a kid in the 50’s our parents had trouble getting us to come in for meals and at the end of the day. A lot more to do outside, playing sports, riding bicycles all over town and to the parks, fishing, playing tag, etc. than there was to do indoors. We would still be playing catch under the streetlights after dark. There were about a dozen baseball fields with backstops in our small town at parks and elementary schools. If you didn’t get your group to one of them early in the morning you would find they were all taken. Plus it was cooler outside than in the house.

As a kid I never knew of anyone who had a/c at home (not even a window unit), but a lot of fans. Back then very few stores or businesses had a/c (our schools sure didn’t).

Sad commentary, a few years ago in the middle of summer I ran into the high school football coach and asked him what he had been up to. He told me he had been driving around town looking for kids playing sports outside and wanted to talk to the m about going out for the football team. When I asked him how that had gone he told me not well at all. He had driven all around town for about 45 minutes and had never even seen one kid outside, no less playing sports.

I know there are quite a few kids in our neighborhood, but while walking my dogs 2 1/2 miles every morning and riding my bicycle I very rarely see even one kid outside. No wonder that so many kids are overweight, out of shape and have health issues. Very sad.

Tone Deaf, Miotch and Bowmap like this.
  19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Does it count as banished if you wanted to be out ?

Miotch and Caddy like this.
  20. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

Nope.
    The neighborhood, we were ALWAYS outside.
    Baseball, Football, Basketball, Bike riding, shooting BB guns in the desert, mowing yards for spending money.
    Then there was Cruising with the
    Hot Rodders, walking the mall & looking at Babes.

We had EVERY REASON to get out of the house.

Tone Deaf and Miotch like this.