As a kid, were you banished outdoors in the summer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Falstaff50

Falstaff50 Strat-Talker

I grew up in the 60s and 70s in a small town in SE Arizona called Safford. We lived mostly out of the town limits until my senior year. From a big family of 7 kids so yes, played outside all my life. In the summer we ranged far into the surrounding dessert, building forts. Brought a sack lunch and canteens, hatchets and pocket knives and always had a fire even in summer. We had a blast. It stayed with me most of my life what with camping, fishing and hunting up until my health made it ill advised. My daughter? She rarely goes outside preferring to spend her time on her phone with friends. Sad...

Tone Deaf, rolandson and Bowmap like this.
  2. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Outside almost every day during summers, 9am until dinner, then out again until dark.

BMX biking, hanging out at 7-11 playing pinball, asteroids, defender. Neighborhood wide hide and seek (all yards lol!)...

3. 98springer

98springer Strat-Talker

I was usually outside except for periods in the summer when it was just to hot and humid. It didn't take long before I'd get on my mom's nerves and she'd send me outside. When I was very young, I would try to wander off through the weeds (we lived in the country) that were taller than me. Once, when was 4 or 5, I got tangled up in fence during one of my escape attempts and couldn't get free. I don't remember it happening but my mom had a picture of me stuck in the fence and really unhappy.

Years later I realized that she didn't usually walk around with a camera (1960s) and that meant that she had to hear me yelling for help, come find me stuck in the fence, go back to the house and get the camera and come back and take a picture before freeing me.

Bowmap likes this.
  4. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Yes. My Dad would tell me and my brother, “If you wanna stay home I have some work for you to do” LOL in other words go away. I can’t even remember how we ate lunch only came home for dinner and then out again. We would go biking or skateboarding or terrorize the neighbourhood. Fun times.

5. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Yeah kiddie jail sucked...

Caddy likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

There was a vast open field a couple of blocks from my childhood home. About 1.5 miles x 3 in size...very large. A porton was wooded with a stand of fir trees, the rest a slope of a hill with a creek running to a small pond, dotted with blackerry and scotch broom, tall grasses covering everything.

Many of us, myself included, got our first taste of romance in that field. And our first taste of war.

We had forts and trails to other forts and tunnels and an annual running bb gun war pitting armies amassed from the neighborhoods that surrounded it.
    Our weapons included boobytraps and hand grenades (balls of mortar or cement, and mud formed around a couple of firecrackers or m-80 with what we judged to be 10 seconds of fuse.

We had three rules:
    No shooting above the waist,
    Each grenade toss was accompanied by the shout "GRENADE!" so we could cover our eyes
    No shooting at the nurses...we were primarily prepubescent and early adolescent boys and girls who were getting curious if not down right frisky, no girls, no war!

This war kept about 30-75 kids busy all summer long for longer than the 5 or 6 years I was a participant.

The armistice came at the command of the generals...our mothers...following a battle going nuclear.
    a complete jackass move by a kid that was a creep by nature (currently in federal lockup I understand)...

He brought a pump gun (a single shot bb / pellet gun that had to be pumped to provide propellant, that could be either low or very powerful), loaded a dart into it and shot another kid in the butt...

requiring more care than our medics were trained for, though I understand the nursing staff was able to get his pants off him. They ran away upon discovering that the blood was real and he was apparently "overjoyed" to be on display .:thumb:

The war to end all wars had been fought and most of us never knew it.

The kid who got shot was killed in Vietnam, and the field is now a freeway.
    Progress.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Banished? No. Encouraged. Sure. But being outside all day is the whole point of summer, as is going barefoot, having a Kool-Aid stand, taking long bicycle rides with your fiends, and visiting the neighborhood kid that has a swimming pool.

Tone Deaf and Daddypantz like this.
  8. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Banished no, but in the house? Not if we could help it.

10. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talk Member

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    There were about ten of us from cub scouts within a 5 miles BMX radius. I don't think
    any of us really had to even file flight plans as long as we got home by 7. Build forts,
    bike jumps, skateboard, take boogie boards to the beach which was cycling distance,
    go to the arcade, wrist rockets, fire crackers. bb guns.

Bowmap and Morf2540 like this.
  11. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn’t say I was banished, but I spent a heckuva lot of time outside. Back in ancient times before computers, cell phones, video games, and cable tv, outside was way more interesting than inside. Didn’t have to worry about Lyme disease back then either, as far as I remember.

Daddypantz likes this.
  12. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

Only 3 channels on TV and no computers/games - outside was the obvious choice :thumb:

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

14. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

I don't remember being allowed in the house ever between breakfast and bedtime, except for lunch -
    and in the winter when it was below -30F, but only for a quick cup of hot chocolate.

I still can't stand being inside for too long.

15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The big difference is air conditioning. When nobody had it, nobody wanted the kids inside, and sending them out was normal. Also when it's 85 outside and 95 inside, kids would rather be outside.

These days the wild spaces are gone, fenced in and covered up with more houses. People call the cops if kids aren't accompanied by adults. Either because they're worried about safety, or because they're worried about what these hooligans are up to. Kids that play outside end up in gangs, or in foster care. The kind of outdoor carefree childhood I had is no longer possible. The world has changed.

Tone Deaf and Bowmap like this.
  16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Banished? No. Released? Yes. I grew up on a farm... very small house. No TV, very few toys, a few books. NOTHING to do indoors. Outside there were bicycles, horses, old cars and farm implements to play in, hundreds of acres to go hunting (yes, at 10 years old I would take my single shot 22 and be gone all day...), groves of trees, the hay mow in the barn to build forts.... WHY WOULD I WANT TO BE INSIDE?!?!?

LPBlue, Bowmap and Stevn like this.
  17. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

And Swiss Army knife.

Stratafied likes this.
  18. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Yeah! Outdoors And barefooted for three months and nothing but swin trunks! Even had to eat lunch on the front porch.
    My feet were cut from glass and had blisters from lit ciggy’s thrown on the ground. Got some pretty filthy legs everyday too!

Bowmap likes this.
  19. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Yeah. Restriction for two weeks! Learned to play guitar on all those lock ups!

20. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I didn't need to be banished. I was outside playing baseball all summer long. If it wasn't wiffle ball in the back yard it was sand lot games in the school yard and then Little League and Babe Ruth games at night. We breathed baseball in my neighborhood.

Caddy, Daddypantz and elduderinoTF like this.