"Ashtrays"

lotech

New Member!
May 7, 2006
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I've seen very few Strat's, or Tele's, with the bridge cover on them. I've often wondered why.
Anyone with any thoughts, opinions, information, history, or anything at all to say about the "ashtray" bridge covers, please chime in.

claudel

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 29, 2006
I leave mine on my Strat. It helps keep me from tearing skin off the side of
my hand on the saddles and screws... :?

I can still mute the strings with my right hand, it just took a bit of getting used to the ashtray.

Claude

Picky Picky

New Member!
May 8, 2006
Vancouver,B.C.,Canada
lotech said:
What was the point in the first place, so they would look better hanging in the store?

Back in the early days, palm muting wasn't a really big thing. The Ventures seemed to do it in "Wipe Out" but I think that was it. Everybody else was country-ish, clean and ringy. Rickenbacker bridges come with a cover on most of theirs I think.

rkclary

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 23, 2008
6th string, 5th fret
I love the look of the ashtray, but it's not very practical for playing. Besides the palm muting problem, the 'ash-tray' sometimes pops off when you use the trem bar.

Boris Bubbanov

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 3, 2007
in New Orleans' past
I had a Tele (or was it Esquire) cover pop off on me while I was playing someone else's guitar, and it got damaged when it landed.

Very awkward, trying to offer to replace it when the owner was actually super defensive about having one on there, playing it that way. Unpleasant moments followed.

I'd forgotten about that. See what you've done! :oops:

Bubbanov

StratmanNick

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 24, 2008
Cornwall England
I really can't think I'd ever use the 'ashtray'.

As apart from Palm Muting I also Palm Warble the bridge, an effect not so easy to do with the trem bar.

klunkerbill

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Are those things just suppose to snap on? Did they make different types? I've got a used '82/'57 RI and I can't get the thing on, not that I'd really use it, I just wanted to check it out.

Nogbad

Strat-Talker
Nov 20, 2008
Washington UK
Originaly the mechanics of the bridge and pickups were considered ugly by manufacturers . Chrome covers were purely decorative. Nearly every guitar/Bass player promptly whipped them off. In these retro themed timed lots of young players seem to like them on but when I started out mine, like most people's went straight in a drawer and stayed there. The guy I sold my first Strat to didnt even want it!